Boots

ok

• 2 years later...

For those interested in the British hunting scene, or in bespoke riding boots or the Northamptonshire footwear industry more generally, the Gentleman's Gazette is running an occasional series looking at shoe and bootmaking in the county. Here is their recent review of Horace Batten:

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/riding-boots-leather-horace-batten/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A major snowstorm is about to hit New York in a couple of days and I'm finally going to invest in a pair of deep winter boots. I've never bothered to get a specific pair of footwear for this eight to ten week window of slush, ice, frozen rain, etc.

I wear a pair of Red Wing heritage/handsewn boots as my normal day-to-day boot. 

I kind of would like something solidly constructed, waterproof, warm, grippy.. maybe something like a timberland yellow work boot? Any recommendations? 

Edited by harorld

Sorel caribou. The all black version is p nice. The bape version is pretty tight but i guess those are rare and won't come in time for the snow storm. Another option is the bean boots by LL bean but they are not very stylish, IMO.

I survived like 3 or 4 winters with Red Wings in the tundra of New England. 

The moccasins are still all made in Maine (last I checked), but they always had their super limited cowboy boots made by high-end crafters down in Mexico. I believe they've moved production of other non-moccasin footwear to Mexico after those cowboy boot runs, probably due to the lower cost of labor for what is still an extremely well-made shoe.

• 3 weeks later...

A bunch of their boots and shoes are made in Mexico these days. (Not entirely sure why, but would be interested in hearing a reason if someone knows.)

I don't know why exactly, but given that Meg Company does manufacture footwear in Mexico (Santo Domingo Boots), as well as some other stuff, I'm sure they have their reasons for producing there. I'd venture that it's because their producers in Maine (if they still use Quoddy's resources) are primarily skilled at making moccasins, and they can use other manufacturers for other models, like the Johnson or the hiking boot posted above, which makes sense to me.

• 3 weeks later...

tumblr_mnef5uWvn71rd8rjxo1_1280.jpg

Wakefield Hotel // Last and Loom Boot. I take the photos for all of them and have a pair myself and they are hands down the best boots I have ever worn and seen in my life.

100% Made in New Zealand using New Zealand leather, eyelets and if you'd like - rubber soles, commando soles.

You can customise every detail of the boot.

• 2 weeks later...