Rififi

Seven Samurai

Brazil

and Wild Strawberries

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it that crazy? I watch at least four films a week. Wouldn't take that long.

well at that pace, assuming that they didnt release any more films, (which they obviously will, maybe about 7 a monuth) i would take you 105 weeks. so a little over two years. thats a pretty long time

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a wishlist of movies/releases they wish would be properly printed on dvd? There is currently no good version of Blow Up out right now, in and out of the U.S... I can't wait untill someone releases a perfect transfer but according to my copy and on dvdbeaver, that film should be a "rent" list for now. Other shows/movies I wish a quality transfer of:

-Comprehensive set of Bunuel films (better than the ones currently out)

-Harold and Maude

-cleaned up Burns and Allen collection

-Wong Kar Wai's anything...

Also I would scour dvdtalk.com before buying a criterion from bestbuy at the moment. There are much better places online to buy these titles. I always find it satisfying when buying a criterion title for under msrp... it's resale value is mostly solid and not to mention will probably skyrocket when out of print.

And servo, I agree about how good those reviews are! Do you know other review sites with entertaining reviews, this guy is hilarious at times and I'm a big fan of good critique/essay writing.

There is currently no good version of Blow Up out right now on dvd... I can't wait untill someone releases a perfect transfer but according to my copy and on dvdbeaver, that film should be a "rent" list for now.

Also I would scour dvdtalk.com before buying a criterion from bestbuy at the moment. There are much better places online to buy these titles. I always find it satisfying when buying a criterion title for under msrp... it's resale value is mostly solid and not to mention will probably skyrocket when out of print.

And servo, I agree about how good those reviews are! Do you know other review sites with entertaining reviews, this guy is hilarious at times and I'm a big fan of good critique/essay writing.

I'm reading them for pure entertainment at this point, films be damned. Some of them are fantastic. Don'tk know of any other similiar blogs off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...

i have more than a handful of criterions that i'd like to get rid of, most of them are open but haven't been watched. if anyone is looking for anything in particular send me a list. nothing new though, and no more oops...

i sold a shitload of criterions to a guy i went to school with who was a friend at the time but he never paid me and lives in singapore and pretty much just ripped me off. >:

Some film related sites/blogs I like are...

www.dvdbeaver.com

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/

http://glennkenny.premiere.com/

Criterionforum is great, but most of the posters are like 40+. I rarely ever post anything there because of my subpar film analysis abilities and limited film knowledge, compared to them anyways.

In the spirit of superfuture consumerism let's turn this thread into a list of which titles you have.

I have:

-Nights of Cabiria*

-8&1/2

-Yi Yi*

-every wes andreson criterion.

-Fanny och Alexander (both movie and t.v. miniseries) *

-Videodrome (GAWD I love the box) *

-Brief Encounter

-Picnic at Hanging Rock

-Short Cuts*

-Ruling Class

-Hearts and Minds

-Shoot the Piano Player*

*partly watched, too ronery to finish by myself

Wish To Buy:

-Pierrot Le Fou... hell, all the Goddard films

-Clean, Shaven (this movie over time has grown to hold it's place in my mind as a life-experience equal to my first time riding a bike, so memorable)

-The Red Balloon

-All Cronenberg

- Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Two Takes - Criterion Collection (haha anything for the buscemi)

-Flesh For Frankenstein

On the Fence:

-Jim Jarmusch films... I would probably be sad if they ever went OOP, but I'd hardly watch them

-Bunuel's films, I seriously think I could get better dvd transfers elsewhere for less $$

-The Hulot films... I got a kick out of 'em the first time but I doubt I'd find anyone to share my love for this stuff. Plus after the first view, I couldn't stand to watch it by myself again.

I would have more, but since I got a part time job at a movie rental place and get free rentals, why bother? Right now, I only purchase Criterions I really love, or films that I'm not able to rent. I kind of want to build a film collection however, so I may start purchasing more again, I'd love to have a room full of movies.

Army of Shadows

Le Cercle Rouge

Le Samourai

Ikiru

Hands Over the City

Salesmen

The Seventh Seal

8 1/2

Brazil

The Third Man re-release

La Haine

Ace in the Hole