Size Advice

beatle

excellent thread....should be sticky. I would also suggest posting only if you have had direct experience with mentioned denim.

Skull 5010xx 6x6 - slim thighs, buy true to size.[/quote]

seconding this, with these jeans it's the thigh that gets you. definitely get true to size unless you feel as if you have tiny thighs and are ambitious enough to size down.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Iron Heart 634? Size up or down or get regular size.

Iron heart 634s - Size down 1, maybe even 2 (Pain is love) They stretch a lot.

SExIH01 - Runs 1 to 2 inches small. Buy true to (tagged) size since they will stretch a bit and the shrinkage will be minimal.

What exactly is "true to size" ? Say my waist measures 32" where my jeans actually sit would a tagged size which actually measures 32" be true to size ? Or would a tagged size of 31" be true to size to account for an inch of stretch ? I'm confused and a definitive answer would be really helpful.

I'm not sure how people define it but I'd recommend you to measure the waist of the pair of jeans that fit you the best/perfect and assume that that is your waist size (ie true to size). Measure all your pairs and you'll see that most of them will have about the same measurements in the waist (if you don't have pairs that is way too snug and/or loose) regardless of their tagged size.

I'm not sure how people define it but I'd recommend you to measure the waist of the pair of jeans that fit you the best/perfect and assume that that is your waist size (ie true to size). Measure all your pairs and you'll see that most of them will have about the same measurements in the waist (if you don't have pairs that is way too snug and/or loose) regardless of their tagged size.

That makes sense. So for example my jeans measure 32" then if someone says buy pbj-005 true to size then i should buy a tagged size 32" ?

Your natural waist size is the measurement around your belly button without breathing in.

0001-0406-0214-1113_SM.jpg

The jeans tagged size is usually made to fit someone with the stated waist size, taking into account the rise to waist ratio and stretching. Although this varies across all manufacturers. Getting true to size is getting jeans in the tagged size of you waist measurement.

I don't really recommend measuring the waist of your current jeans due to the rise/waist ratio and stretching. Rather look at the tagged sizes on the jeans that fit you perfectly. But because of manufacturer variation, measuring your waist across the belly is still the accurate method of getting your waist size.

Here's my method of picking the size of jeans to buy online...

Ignore the natural waist measurements and tag sizes completely.

Measure my waist where I want to wear the jeans as a guide.

Get the raw measurements for the waist online for the jeans I want. Get the 1 wash measurements for the thigh, inseam, leg opening, and try to find the shop's measurement method and compare the my measured size. Usually find a couple of shops with measurements to compare.

If I have jeans that fit right, I measure them the same way the shop did to compare.

Read sufu to find how much they stretch, beg for measurements, then don't believe most people anyway. :D

Why raw measurements for the waist? Because you can ALWAYS stretch fabric back to its original size and a little more (use your knee, foot, anything to speed it up if you want), especially in the waist, especially something as tough as denim. And it will stretch to that size eventually, even if you don't want it to, no matter what you do, so might as well go with that.

I find thighs don't stretch much for me, inseam won't either, and neither will the leg opening so I go with 1 wash measurements there.

PS. I wish someone stickies a measurement guide or we pick a standard one like BIGs and people use it to post the standard measurements after long wear and stretching. I find people posting post-shrink initial waist measurements pretty usless and they don't interest me one bit, same with the size one up or size one down advice (because I don't believe people know their natural waist size anyway and it depends too much on body type).

That's my rant for today. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm searching for measurements for the Flathead 1005 (size 32?).

Napoleon, hail!

I was thinking the same as you while screening this thread, because 9 out of 10 guys give different sizing methods (like "slim jim - size down" while I got them in my regular size)

But anyways, here some of my own experiences of my jeans

Pace P-006 True to size (You'll get a saggy ass and slightly slim look)

Nudie TF DBC True to size (Saggy as well but nice and skinny looking)

Nudie RR greycast True to size (regular fit, regular looking, nothing special)

Nudie SSDS (ltd) Size down

Anyone got measurements of Flathead?

My experiences:

Imperial Duke - Size down 1. I got them true to size and the waist stretched considerably.

Nudies Bootcut Ola and RRDS - Size down 1.

Studio D'Artisan SD-105 - True to size. Even then, mine are still pretty tight on the waist.

Dior 21cm MIJ - Size down 2.

I consider myselft a 31/32 since most of the stuff I buy is a 31 (to account for stretching), while others like SDA, and other brands that are usually recommended to get your true size in, I need a 32.

• 1 month later...

my technique for picking my size on an online shop would be the centimeters size they put n the chart as long as its between 84cm to 90 cm it would fit me

My wasit is about 32 to 33:

SugarCane 47 one wash sz32 - True Size, relax fit, now it stretch to sz33

SugarCane Okinawa one wash - True Size, a bit tight than sugarcane47 at first, but now it stretch to sz33

LVC 47 sz34 - Size up by 2, shrink to 32.5 after some wash

If you plan to buy online, just go to any of the jap's online store like rakuten and compare the size chart. I,m quite sure you can get the right size.