doom

top five recent doom metal bands

pantheist

that's doom right

ah shit, they're not that recent though. i lose.

asva is alright, but it's just another name for khanate considering the dudes in it.

i really liked the cephalic carnage doom album, but, it seems that its distribution wasn't that widespread...i think you can sitll find snippets of it at www.willowtip.com .

In no order:

Virgin Black

Agalloch

Boris

Draconian

Saturnus

The Sword, I think, counts as doom metal, and I happen to think it's pretty awesome.

The Sword is awesome.

whats the difference between a regular metal band and a doom metal band?

google it.

Anyone heard the new Sunn O))) jam "Oracle"

Shit is crushing.

Also, Bohren & Der Club of Gore. Kind of a doom jazz concept. Like Sunn O))) covering the Twin Peaks soundtrack.

Bongripper sounds pretty ill. And I'm into hardcore. But this is some good stuff.

Guest JonasW
powerviolence is better

HAHAHA, YES!

Actually I love both powerviolence and doom metal.

Some great powerviolence bands: Man is the Bastard, Magrudergrind, and Neanderthal.

Hell yeah moondog.

whats the difference between a regular metal band and a doom metal band?

well... its my opinion that doom/death/black/etc metal bands take whats awesome from metal and heavy metal then put a theme that they feel represents their angst more than the over the top bluesy feel of metal and heavy metal (although sometimes that feel is lost in more contemperary bands)

Metal is one of those genres that seems to have evolved into something thats a little more than just music.

powerviolence is better

fuck yes. capitalist casualities, crossed out, extortion, xfilesx...

fuck yes. capitalist casualities, crossed out, extortion, xfilesx...

are you talking about australia's extortion....?

fucking amazing band if so, theyre good friends of mine, play a fair few shows with them here and there.

yeah that's the band. i hope they have a us tour in the works.

Guest perfectcircle
well... its my opinion that doom/death/black/etc metal bands take whats awesome from metal and heavy metal then put a theme that they feel represents their angst more than the over the top bluesy feel of metal and heavy metal (although sometimes that feel is lost in more contemperary bands)

Metal is one of those genres that seems to have evolved into something thats a little more than just music.

metal heads seem to think their genre is so incredibly diverse just because they often rip off elements from other genres (classical, jazz, etc.) and call it "prog" but fuck, it just sounds like the same shit to me. Heard two good metal bands, heard them all.

but yeah doom metal is kind of obscure to me. I liked one song by Candlemass, but that sure ain't recent. I don't know if SunnO))) and Merzbow count, but they have some realllllly slow burning songs. Awesome.

Agalloch doesn't sound very doom. Like, folk metal with screams. Hell genres don't work if you get too specific... folk metal with black metal screams with some parts reminiscent of Opeth.

ISIS is the best band ever. But they're more like post-metal/post-rock, closer to Pelican than any doom bands.

I don't know if SunnO))) and Merzbow count

They don't. SunnO))) isn't too far off, since they're drone, but Merzbow is typically considered noise or experimental.

WitTR is way the fuck black not doom.

Here's my top 5. They're more from the ambient/post-metal side:

ISIS (grey area here)

Nadja

The Angelic Process

Jesu

Electric WIzard

Om

Wormphlegm

Nadja

I don't keep on this genre much but those are the bands that have impressed me lately.

I'm not real good with genre classifications, but i like these groups a lot:

Earth

Sleep

Jesu

Boris/Sunn 0)))

Electric Wizard

Orthodox

Baroness

Lesbian

Xasthur

The Sword

Are Bongzilla considered 'doom'?

And my list.

EYEHATEGOD

Neurosis

Boris

Khanate

Sunn O)))

I like quite droney stuff.

Im still not all that clear on all of the genre of specificaions. Saw OM play recently and thought they pretty good. Lair of the Minotaur was good too. Saw wolves in the throne room and thought they were actually pretty mediocre live. Been listening to a lot of Earth too.

I loved Sunn 0))). Watched them at the El Rey, the bathroom attendants and valet fella's were like "What The Fuck"!. I think my feet were still trembling an hour after the show.

The Boris and Jesu gigs at Echoplex recently were good also, but not sure Jesu falls into the Doom metal category.

wtf is wrong with you guys .... EYEHATEGOD !!!!

Haha yeahhh! Great band.

jesu is not doom metal nor is neurosis

I'd personally categorize Neurosis as Doom, they have experimental elements and shit too but some of there work definitely bridges into the sludge/doom genre.

some neurosis stuff sounds like shinjuku,sephiroth shit...which is dark ambient. so i retract my statement. some of their shit borderlines doom/experiment/dark ambient

Jesu is definately at the top of my list

neurosis

only a few select sunn o))) songs

sleep

isis