top five recent doom metal bands

doom

pantheist

that's doom right

ah shit, they're not that recent though. i lose.

asva is alright, but it's just another name for khanate considering the dudes in it.

i really liked the cephalic carnage doom album, but, it seems that its distribution wasn't that widespread...i think you can sitll find snippets of it at www.willowtip.com .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest JonasW
powerviolence is better

HAHAHA, YES!

Actually I love both powerviolence and doom metal.

Some great powerviolence bands: Man is the Bastard, Magrudergrind, and Neanderthal.

Hell yeah moondog.

whats the difference between a regular metal band and a doom metal band?

well... its my opinion that doom/death/black/etc metal bands take whats awesome from metal and heavy metal then put a theme that they feel represents their angst more than the over the top bluesy feel of metal and heavy metal (although sometimes that feel is lost in more contemperary bands)

Metal is one of those genres that seems to have evolved into something thats a little more than just music.

fuck yes. capitalist casualities, crossed out, extortion, xfilesx...

are you talking about australia's extortion....?

fucking amazing band if so, theyre good friends of mine, play a fair few shows with them here and there.

• 2 months later...
Guest perfectcircle
well... its my opinion that doom/death/black/etc metal bands take whats awesome from metal and heavy metal then put a theme that they feel represents their angst more than the over the top bluesy feel of metal and heavy metal (although sometimes that feel is lost in more contemperary bands)

Metal is one of those genres that seems to have evolved into something thats a little more than just music.

metal heads seem to think their genre is so incredibly diverse just because they often rip off elements from other genres (classical, jazz, etc.) and call it "prog" but fuck, it just sounds like the same shit to me. Heard two good metal bands, heard them all.

but yeah doom metal is kind of obscure to me. I liked one song by Candlemass, but that sure ain't recent. I don't know if SunnO))) and Merzbow count, but they have some realllllly slow burning songs. Awesome.

Agalloch doesn't sound very doom. Like, folk metal with screams. Hell genres don't work if you get too specific... folk metal with black metal screams with some parts reminiscent of Opeth.

ISIS is the best band ever. But they're more like post-metal/post-rock, closer to Pelican than any doom bands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved Sunn 0))). Watched them at the El Rey, the bathroom attendants and valet fella's were like "What The Fuck"!. I think my feet were still trembling an hour after the show.

The Boris and Jesu gigs at Echoplex recently were good also, but not sure Jesu falls into the Doom metal category.

wtf is wrong with you guys .... EYEHATEGOD !!!!

Haha yeahhh! Great band.

jesu is not doom metal nor is neurosis

I'd personally categorize Neurosis as Doom, they have experimental elements and shit too but some of there work definitely bridges into the sludge/doom genre.

• 2 weeks later...