What do you buy your family members for Xmas?

Calden

I don't know where this thread belongs. Anyways, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to buying presents for my parents, grandparents, and younger brothers and sisters for Xmas. Have you guys bought any presents for your family yet, or have any trusty standbys? I'm not going to buy any candles or bath and body crap this year, my mom will be shocked... I'm drawing a blank. Maybe a donation to a charity in their name? I don't know, somebody help me out.

my parents do not really care for material things, i mean if they want something they will buy it themselves, so i usually make their christmas by being a good son and making out work packets by the hours such as helping my dad fixing up his apartments whatnot and helping my mom with her housework and thats wnough for them. all in all gift exchange is a hassle, a person gives you a gift you dont like then you have to go out and buy them a gift they dont like and exchange exchange blah blah blah why not keep our money in the first place, buy what we like and enjoy the holdiays with your family and friends

I have bought some things for my family that I thought would be a great hit:

-dvds

-gadgets

-clothing

-comfort stuff

but have only ended up being taken for granted.

But so far the only thing they really have tresured over the years were the memories of us spending time together... and those are few and far between because my parents and I don't have the most huggy of relationships. The only gadget that has been appreciated and actually helped us all get along with my cantakerous dad is the GPS I got him one time, no more arguing about directions.

This year I'm giving thought to building a fire-pit in the back-yard for my dad so we can go outside more often and hang out instead of zone out watching T.V. (my parent's favorite pasttime). I've also started to be more serious about practicing healthy cooking with variety... If I had more money I'd actually start taking cooking classes.

Thanks for the replies everybody. It's pretty hard to recommend gifts without knowing who the gift is for at all. I got some good ideas from your posts though. Do you guys think charity donations in someones name is something your family members would appreciate? Part of me thinks it's a lame idea, but I can't figure out why.

my parents do not really care for material things, i mean if they want something they will buy it themselves

This is how I always feel. Somehow though, my parents always seem to find me something that isn't necessarily expensive, but something I'm interested in and wouldn't really think about buying it myself. I always look for something like that for them, but always fall short. I'm sure like Masuerte said, most parents are just happy spending time together. Wow, I just realized how sappy / cheesy this thread is.

I just got my sister a tank top that matches her tattoo on her ass for a buck $. It's a bargain and it seriously looks cool. That's how much I love her.

I'm thinking of getting my niece a nice little black dress. That'd be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

The women (mom, sis, etc.) in my family usually like photos... Not many people print out photos anymore, so if you print one out, put it in a nice frame or make a calendar / scrap book using one of the online photo sites or something like that.

For the guys... we usually do something sports related. Tickets to an nfl/mlb/nba/nhl game, tee time for golf, etc...

Mom- Giftcards to where ever she asks.

Dad- Microcenter Gift card (always its all he ever wants)

Bro- new DS, some VG's, KC's wallet and belt.

and Alcohol for everybody else. this time of year they all have gift sets really easy to buy and wrap.