t-shirts

doom

thought for the day :

how can anyone pay $50 and up for some t-shirt that has some design on it?

just think about it : it is just some cotton with a silk screen print on it.

don't get me wrong, i appreciate the designer who came up with the art and all that

but i just refuse to pay that much for a t-shirt. this is just doom speaking.

have a nice day

the eclipse is nigh

I agree. I'll spend around $30 max for T-shirts, and even that is kind of high.

T-shirts can be pretty pricey to make, especially for brands that are doing small runs, so I can justify and don't mind paying a little more.

But the $50+ t-shirts usually don't appeal to me anyways. They are usually super tight, wrinkly, have short sleeves, and say something that either I don't understand, or can't get behind if I did.

Like that Rogan T that says 'Keep New York' or whatever. I don't know I'm just not down with those type of t-shirts.

Like most fashion, it's just a status symbol. It's like wearing a t-shirt that says, "I can afford this (well I really can't, but I like to make it seem like I can)"

NyM...

yo hulkster,

i agree with you. half the time you don't know what the hell the tee

is trying to convey.

and at this point in my life , i refuse to wear anything with a big logo on it.

i refuse to be a walking advertising bill board

the eclipse is nigh

yo hulkster,

i agree with you. half the time you don't know what the hell the tee

is trying to convey.

and at this point in my life , i refuse to wear anything with a big logo on it.

i refuse to be a walking advertising bill board

the eclipse is nigh

Just to set it in perspective, a "cheap" tee in Denmark is 50$, and for ANY brand, as most people tend to like, you'll pay a 100$.

If you think an item is worth more, it should be. Price should only be a restriction in terms of numbers, sometimes the perfect tee is a 150$ one.

Its about how much it does for you.

In my opinion. :)

dress badly on purpose.

^In Denmark even if you don't wear it with a winter coat.. people would not appreciate that t-shirt anyway.. because people don't know shit about brands... Take BAPE for example, it is already "played out" in Japan, London & the states.. while in Denmark it hasn't even begun and when you wear one, people would just think of you as a Planet of The Apes movie geek...

Edited by baizilla on Aug 25, 2005 at 10:53 AM

hey bai,

how interesting. what are the hip and cool danish kids wearing these days?

are any of them wearing their pants over their asses and acting like wiggers?

are they wearing their new era baseball caps sideways yet?

just curious........

doom

the eclipse is nigh

yeah see..

i don't care how much a shirt costs cause if it's cool, and i can afford it, ill buy it.

and about the "shirt under the coat" comment.

i'm not buying clothes to impress others, it's a hobby of mine, and i feel that sometimes my money is going towards artists making a living off the small runs of shirts they're making and selling in small batches.

-k

Quote:

hey bai,

how interesting. what are the hip and cool danish kids wearing these days?

are any of them wearing their pants over their asses and acting like wiggers?

are they wearing their new era baseball caps sideways yet?

just curious........

doom

--- Original message by doom on Aug 25, 2005 10:58 AM

Yeah.. there is actually no - or almost none - so called "sneakerheads" wearing 500$ tees and 1000$ sneaks like in hk (home sweet home :D) or tokyo...

The "hip and cool" danish kids wear like.. slim fit acne jeans, cheap monday, paul smith shoes, tiger of sweden cardigans etc. etc.

And streetwise.. people are still rockin' evisu?!?! i guess that pretty much says it all.

Yeah New Era... They aren't that far behind :D

doom here,

kiya , i agree with you on the issue of the artists being paid for the art on the shirt and all that stufff....

i will always support small independent artists, labels and music etc........

respect for the underground

doom

the eclipse is nigh

I have no problem paying a little extra for a tshirt that's good quality and that has a decent or unique design that appeals to me..

my only beef is when it's an American Apparel tshirt/polo with a print and the price is like $90+.

Given that I can get the same damn shirt for $22 retail (so they're getting it wholesale at what? $10? less?), I don't know why I should pay $50+ extra for the design.

Just my $0.02....

AAA fit good...great to print on too.

But I can understand being vexed about dudes wanting 50 plus for a shirt that wholesales for 1.27.

Somehow I find that people using american apparel and charging in that 50 usd plus range even worse though, I dunno.

Bottom line is someone is going to buy it though.

I did a little tour of NYC shopping sites looking for tees yesterday.

I hit Odin, famous friends, Store, URBN, memes and a few others.

What I saw in "upscale" stores were $98 tees, $28 tees, and everywhere in between.

What a tee shirt wholesales for depends on a couple of things.

For instance, at Odin, they have these beautiful discharge print tees.

That process is time consuming, expensive and labor intensive.

It retailed at around $78 because of those factors and because the owners of Odin have a specific clientele they are catering to. Target customers don't understand discharge and would not buy it.

Some other tees had embellishments like embroidery with screen and other art applications that would cause the price to be higher than the average tee in a mom & pop.

That being said, there were far more tees that had NOTHING special going on. no extra hits, no emb, no foil, no discharge, no perceived value for my money. It all comes down to what the market will bear.

If you spend it, they'll charge for it.

The choice is yours not to shop there.

But let's not knock the stores charging top dollar, because there's someone spending those dollars.

I'd like to hear from a supertalker that spends $98 on a holy grail tee and why.

that's my .03 (extra penny for the length.)

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

I'll answer the expensive t-shirt question for myself at least. I have Imitation of Christ and Alexander McQueen t-shirts, I have other stuff too I don't just have t-shirts, but I spent alot on those t-shirts because I liked them. Not as a status symbol (they aren't logo shirts) sometimes they become a status symbol when people ask me where i got them but I'm by no means shouting it from the rooftops. I bought these expensive shirts because I liked them, sure maybe I could have bought 4 cheaper shirts, but at the time there weren't 4 cheaper shirts I wanted as much as that peticular shirt. So that's my reasoning.

ouch! DCTMFC....I'd hate to see you get banned before you reach the 1000 post mark.

10switch, I hear you about not finding 4 cheaper shirts that you like. That makes alot of sense.

but for 100 bucks, do you wear the shit out of it or wear it rarely as compared to cheaper tees?

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

the problem is that the tshirt market has gotten so saturated with shit. anybody can print a lame ass phrase or stupid graphic on an american apparel shirt. i wouldnt even pay $5 for that.

how many degrees of seperation are there between you and somebody that owns a "clothing company?" probobly 1.

but...if you are like me, your uniform on a daily basis is jeans and tshirt. if you take that into consideration and you enjoy looking good and having quality apparel you might reconsider. you will spend $200+ on denim and $200+ on kicks but you will top that off with a cheap shirt because your budget ran out when it came to your upper body?

just something to think about.

and i am biased because i make and sell expensive cut and sew tshirts.

one more thing...

im sure most of you know this but if a tshirt is selling for $50 at a store the store paid $23 for it.

add up the costs: the tshirt, printing, tags, sewing, washing, comission to the sales team, overhead and you might have a better understanding of the expense.

but hey, if you guys want to revolt against this and begin wearing beefy t's with one color prints and lame sayings that cost $25 in a store i will start doing it. but really aren't we trying to move forward?

but see, i pay those crazy prices because i LIKE short sleeves.

:)

-kiya

no one's looking to start a revolution against the upstairs market.

simple discussion of who, what, where and how much.

lame is a matter of taste. is what you wouldn't wear lame? who's to say?

we wouldn't be supertalkers if we didn't want to move forward.

Your shirts are hot, by the way.

u dont even know! bape tees over here in london are like 50 squid a go, + alll their stuff is waaaay over hyped, therefore over priced. its the hype and the 'exclusivity' that does it, and kids just get sucked in by it. limited seems to be the way things are going...