Lofts?

so twisted

Hello all - This isn't really fashion oriented, but I know there are some users on here that have a good sense of interior design and products. So with that - I just rented a brand new loft in NY and I'm looking for ideas and products for putting up walls that stray from the traditional sheet rock / construction type. Anyone have any experience in this? Ease of installation is important, as is cost and design. Was thinking perhaps frosted glass, metal, wood, whatever... Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:

I also remember a few years ago at PS1 during the summer series they had these walls where it was thin strips of wood woven through posts. Cool effect.

Don't know how important sound quality is to you?

--- Original message by lost on Aug 24, 2005 08:52 AM

Thanks for all the help. Sound quality is somewhat important though it doesn't have to be crazy. I do have a girlfriend who sleeps over most nights and we'd like to have some privacy when we sleep. I can post pics of the space if it will help. The unit is not complete yet - it's in an old rocket factory that was completely gutted and rebuilt. Let me know, and thanks for the input. I value all of it.

Quote:
Quote:

I also remember a few years ago at PS1 during the summer series they had these walls where it was thin strips of wood woven through posts. Cool effect.

Thanks for all the help. Sound quality is somewhat important though it doesn't have to be crazy. I do have a girlfriend who sleeps over most nights and we'd like to have some privacy when we sleep. I can post pics of the space if it will help. The unit is not complete yet - it's in an old rocket factory that was completely gutted and rebuilt. Let me know, and thanks for the input. I value all of it.

--- Original message by so twisted on Aug 24, 2005 09:26 AM

if you mean sound isolation from neighbors by 'sound quality' then you cannot really do anything about that unless you are willing to put up another layer of drywall or something at the very least. It is a common misconception that throwing egg-crate type material on the walls will keep outside noises out and inside noises in. this is just not true.

If by 'quality' you mean reflectivity on the inside of the loft (less echoy) this can be solved with some damping material on the walls, ceiling, and/or floors. It doesn't take much to make a difference. drapes of thick material help. rugs help. anything that is dense and soft.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by so twisted on Aug 24, 2005 09:26 AM

if you mean sound isolation from neighbors by 'sound quality' then you cannot really do anything about that unless you are willing to put up another layer of drywall or something at the very least. It is a common misconception that throwing egg-crate type material on the walls will keep outside noises out and inside noises in. this is just not true.

If by 'quality' you mean reflectivity on the inside of the loft (less echoy) this can be solved with some damping material on the walls, ceiling, and/or floors. It doesn't take much to make a difference. drapes of thick material help. rugs help. anything that is dense and soft.

--- Original message by soultek on Aug 24, 2005 12:22 PM

Sorry - didn't really read that all the way through before posting. Sound from the neighbors shouldn't be an issue as: the walls are thick concrete. I really meant privacy within the bedrooms we're going to make.

Acoustics in the loft - not really concerned with.

oh, so you're building bedrooms inside the loft. That's a little different. First I would recommend putting ceilings on your bedrooms. manytimes people leave the ceilings off in loft bedrooms. Without the ceiling there isn't much you can do.

Use good drywall. That stuff has a rating for how good it will block sound.

also, do not put the drywall on the same frame as the adjoining bedroom. Have two frames that 'float' from each other. The more mechanically coupled the wall is between the living spaces, the less effective the wall will be at blocking sound. A mechanically coupled wall will almost act like a big speaker because it is not super rigid or dense (like your concrete outer walls). this is why double paned windows kick ass. You want two parallel surfaces with space in between and not mechanical coupling between them.