taiwan :: taipei :: shopping

(eden)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone recommend a really plush romantic restaurant, somewhere which has a relaxed atmosphere and not too stiff? Or somewhere really romantic in and around Taipei City but nothing cheesy...? As I'm intending to make a proposal...

On a side note what's with the thread title change?

Edited by rirawin

doing a grad trip to taipei come late march/early april. basiclly just for some shopping and partying. anyone have got any clubs to recommend and on avg how much is it for a bottle? we all can speak chinese too so i guess it'll be an advantage.

also where's a good area to stay in? ximending? not intending to spend too much on accomodation. looking for a comfortable hostel or a 3-4 star hotel.

If you want to be romantic-ish you could book one of the restaurants in Taipei 101. There are some nice restaurants on the 60th floor if I am not mistaken. You can also book a private room in the San Wan Hotel. They have a nice prix-fixe menu with an extensive wine list. There was 2 menu sets one at 2000nt and the other at 4000nt I believe.

Other mentionable off the dome:

L'atelier by Chef Joel Rubuchon

Flavors (swedish restaurant)

Villa 32 (outside taipei though in beitou)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the suggestions Akura, it's certainly given me some ideas.

Are there any good tailors that patch up denim? or even denim shops that sell Japanese repro denim that happen to do repairs? I'm hoping/looking to get a pair of jeans chain-stitched and another pair repaired (crotch blowout).

Edited by rirawin

Are there any good tailors that patch up denim? or even denim shops that sell Japanese repro denim that happen to do repairs? I'm hoping/looking to get a pair of jeans chain-stitched and another pair repaired (crotch blowout).

There are two denim shops in the Zhongxiao shopping neighborhood, called Faith and Take5, that are probably your best bets. They are both very close to the UC store/noodle bar. From UC, walk towards Zhongxiao Dong Rd. for a couple small blocks and they are on your left.

4167700815_48cc94ed8e_z.jpg

4167503209_8bbff8e958_z.jpg

Edited by fallen angels

• 2 weeks later...

As a complete "noob" to Taipei, is The Complete studio still open? I'm guessing they're the only Visvim stockist in Taipei? any other stores noteworthy? I see there's quite a few mentioned on page one of this thread, but not sure if they're still relevant.

Undercover and Undercover Noodle bar have closed, it's now Wow outlet.

No Bape store either, not that it bothers me.

Carhartt WIP is a cool store, despite no longer being into the label (used to enjoy the European line about 10 years ago).

Take5 and Faith don't do denim repairs, only chain stitching, so looks like I'll have to get my jeans repaired back in the UK. US rockers? opposite Take 5 was cool, had loads of Dickies legwear, including the slim straight work pants. Tried a pair on, for $1880 they seemed a bargain.

Filson was alright.

Went around the area about 9pm and most boutiques closed by about 10, but I'm under the impression there isn't much else there? Yet to check out The Complete Studio.

Overall, very disappointed, especially when you compare it to other Asian cities like Singapore and Hong Kong (Tokyo and other Japanese cities are given). Expected a lot more and was very let down by it all.

Do Taiwanese not care much for fashion apart from Japanese denim and American workwear? I didn't see many if at all people rocking that gear apart from SAs in the area. Also didn't think it was very fashionable at all, see a lot more better dressed on the streets of London and even Paris etc than in Taipei. Said to the missus that I think pretty much all Taiwanese people dress like fobs like Hong Kongers... she wasn't impressed and was put in the doghouse for the rest of the evening haha.

Haha yeah the UC store is now some weird outlet. They had some pretty rare older UC their a few weeks back, a few pieces from the urban camo line but I was there a week or two ago and it's all gone.

Bape is stil open not sure what you mean.

I do agree though there isn't too much going on in terms of fashion in taipei. Tons of fob swag.

Ah my bad, I was under the impression the Bape store was near/close to the UC store. Just Google mapped it and it's across the roundabout from The Complete Studio.

Will check out Wow outlet, sounds pretty random.

Just saw one of your earlier posts about travelling out of Taipei, have you thought about Kenting in southern Taipei for surfing... ? Will be heading there myself this coming week as it's CNY.

Edited by rirawin

Rirawin when are you headed to Kenting? I thought about going there as I leave on the 17th and I haven't really been out of taipei (I know, I know..) I'd love to go. I was in Hualien for a day but the weather was shit.

Anyways if you'd like to get in contact just DM me or something.

I somewhat retract my statement earlier about the shopping side of things.

Came across a few boutiques inside Eslite shopping mall today.

Tuan Tuan, stocked a fairly wide range of CDG (Black label, Play, Shirt and a decent selection of their leather wallets/purses etc.), Junya Watanabe, old Undercover stock (looks like left overs from UC Taipei), Rick Owens, Ann Dem etc. Everything in store was 30% off. Also upon further research they're under the Msyaming umbrella, whom cover Jil Sander, MMM, Givenchy and 45RPM stores in Taiwan.

Secret Service, had an odd mix of local labels along with Henrik Vibskov (the latter in the 40% sale).

Cocoaleaf, Stone Island stockist that had a handful of Stone Island x Shadow Project jackets, the whole store had 10% off on because of Chinese New Year.

Edited by rirawin