Model Search America...

sedx.

ok, first off, id like to apologize if this is in the wrong forum. i wasnt too sure as to which would be best fitting. so here we are.

earlier this year my girlfriend sent some headshots to MSA without doing any research beforehand. it seemed decently legit, and since there was no fee, why not?

a few months ago she was offered a round trip to vegas (all expenses paid) for one of these conventions. so, this seems great,, i just wanted to know where the catch was.

so i did some poking around and didnt much like what i found. these guys seem pretty fucking sketch. i understand how it can be legit, and yet at the same time how some of these people will feel ripped off. i guess they really do accept just about anyone for a pretty hefty fee. BUT they really do do some scouting for these events first... and it seems my girl was one of those.

the tickets/ hotel reservations/ etc have all been paid for and sent... so... yeah, we're not being robbed. actually, there has been absolutely no money spent at all.

it still seems kindve off tho for some reason, and so now i figured id do the only thing i could think of... turn it over to you lot.

any suggestions, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

their website: http://www.modelsearchamerica.com/index.php

dirt ive dug up: http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/msashowcase.html

mooooore dirt: http://www.modelingadvice.com/ModelSearch.html

Yeah, I went to one of these scouting things once with my friend - the 'information session' not the actual convention itself. There was a big room of girls and this woman from some big agency lined us up, and said, 'if I give you a playing card, then you've been accepted'. My friend and I both got cards, and then we all sat down and watched this video. I remember thinking it was sort of disturbingly funny because it was like a big brain washing session. My friend decided to go to the casting event, which was in another province, and spent like $2000, or something just to get in. I really didn't think it seemed legit at all -- plus, playing card or not, I'm not exactly a runway model by any means - so I didn't go.

These kinds of talent searches happen so often though. For modelling and acting. I think anything that's so easy doesn't seem right. Like, you go in and get signed. Probably not going to happen. There are hundreds of hopefuls there, and the people who arrange these searches make so much money off them, and in the end, they maybe sign one person. It's pretty creepy.

Maybe that's what they do - make the general public pay for a shot at modelling, and then the agents send the actual potential models to the event for free.

Maybe that's what they do - make the general public pay for a shot at modelling, and then the agents send the actual potential models to the event for free.

i think this is spot on timber. i was just hoping to get some extra perspective. if anyone else has any stories, id love to hear them.

thanks.

Have no experience with MSA direct but know lots about modeling.

Rule of thumb if you didn't sign anything and they're paying for things, why not?

just don't sign anything without showing contract to a lawyer, a good cheap law mill will look over your contract for like $80.

The general rule of thumb is DONT PAY FOR ANYTHING

take it all and give nothing back

too much bottomfeeding off the hopefuls

If you have any questions PM me I know most of the agents in the city

but as long as you dont give anybody money you are fine

Once (and if) they ask for money, that's when you take off. There are so many of those scam modeling schools where they ask for about $1200 down to train kids how to walk, pose, and apply makeup. Sure it can be a "confidence booster" as they don't guarantee any kind of representation, but they take these kids who are legal midgets and these girls who actually think they're going to be swept up by Ford, Elite, Next, Marylin, etc. It's a disaster for the parents, and a godsend for these "schools."

I would just stick to open calls at agencies and see where that goes.