state your beer, drinkers

Cali beer FTW. Anyway, yeah, Avery is good.. I got on a big Avery kick back in late 08 and all of their brews that are widely distributed.. I remember Ale to the Chief was surprisingly good, but that was a one-off. Collaboration not Litigation (the collabo with Russian River) is also one of my favorites from them.

Anyway, I had Brooklyn Brewery's Buzz Bomb tonight on tap at a local place.. had no idea what the style was coming into it, but it turns out it's a fairly rare style called a Braggot? I thought it was a wheat based beer when I was drinking it, but apparently it is beer mixed with mead and honey. Really intense flavor, and really good.. wish they bottled the stuff :\

I remember enjoying averys maharaja years ago but when I tried it recently I couldn't stomach it. so far from what I have been drinking, only Californians do IPAs justice. If any other breweries have a IPA that is hoppy and not overly malty I'd like to trade!!

I remember enjoying averys maharaja years ago but when I tried it recently I couldn't stomach it. so far from what I have been drinking, only Californians do IPAs justice. If any other breweries have a IPA that is hoppy and not overly malty I'd like to trade!!

Maharaja is a big beer for sure. Take you time with that one.

As to a great "easy" drinking IPA, I love Bootleggers Rustic Rye IPA.

It's really hoppy but not malty. Almost like drinking a squirt or fresca...

I had their knuckle dragger IPA and it was a beast, aren't they based in irvine/Fullerton area?

Fullerton. I've not been there yet. And honestly the Rustic Rye is the only one I've tried.

Is "Beast" a good or bad term?

Ugh.

I think that stuff isn't very good, and the Honey one is the most vile bottled beverage I've ever had, vouched by chicks as well.

Should I include my homebrew cider in here even though it's a beer thread? My coworker brewed somewhere around a dozen different ciders last year and I have his first cellared one in the fridge right now made with Pink Lady apples. Color is awesome. (VT roots status.)

Depending on my mood and weather, here are some of my favorite beers:

Stone Cask Oak'd Arrogant Bastard (only served at the brewery and you can't get a growler of it to go) - served only lightly chilled - close to room temp and it's the best variant of the Arrogant Bastard line. Wish they had it more often though.

Pizza Port Seaside Stout - dry and crisp stout - great for a summer night.

Pilsner Urquell - probably my fav pils

Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown Ale - tasty!!

Avery IPA - probably my fav IPA

Boddingtons Pub Ale - a little bland and predictable - kinda like a comfort food but in beer form to me

Rock Bottom Brewery Smoked Porter - my fav porter - so so good

That's about it but I'll pretty much drink any non-light beer if it's in front of me icon10.gif

I'd be down for some beer swapping too.

Would love to try more Dogfishead, and Avery stuff and def more west coast stuff as well.

I live in Arkansas aka beer wasteland. There are very few breweries here but I could provide you guys with something you haven't tried before.

I could see if i could fill some requests.

Feel free to PM me

Meant to post this a couple nights ago, but here's my meager beer cabinet right now.. about 10 bombers, 4 big bottles (24oz I think.. whatever the ones are that are slightly bigger than a bomber), and 14 12oz bottles.. I've been trying to buy 10-12 bombers every week to get ahead of myself drinking it all, hahah.

dscn1474f.jpg

dscn1478z.jpg

dscn1481y.jpg

Also, Stylish Pilot, where are you in Arkansas?? I grew up in northeast Arkansas on the Missouri/Tennessee border.

yo du, throw those IPAs in the fridge asap. they don't hold up for storage at all. drink them fresh or keep them chilled.

I'll snap a pic when I get a chance. it's mostly strong ales and a few Belgians in my cabinet other than that, my IPAs are ready to drink any day of the week.

P1080345.jpg

i removed a lot of doubles just for the pic which has mostly strong ales and a few belgians. some double bastards from 06-08, old guardians from 07-09, Alesmith 2009 Decadence (english style barley wine) and 06 grand cru. 09 Lost Abbey gift of the magi. Then the SAM (stone x alesmith x mikellar ) collabo.. i have a ton of these and im not into belgians anymore.

Quality stuff renski, need to start trading so I can get some of the west coast stuff. Tried to rep, but need to pass it around first :\

I'm still up for a beer swap. I would organize it, but I'm already super busy with grad school.. anybody else want to step up?

i wouldn't mind setting it up. probably need to have some base rules maybe something like no bad beer gifting, 1 bottle, has to be somewhat local from the sender, style preference or three from each person and each person will be chosen randomly.

anyone else want to add? agree or disagree ?