state your beer, drinkers

Bumpin dis off page 4.

Saison Dupont while chillin with my lady in the back of her truck

9fv.jpg

I hated this. Just like their barleywine, Mirror Mirror: Soooo cloying. Overshadowed the delicate Pinot Noir barrel aging.

46n.jpg

Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus Framboise, a fruity aged gouda, raspberry & rose dark chocolate, and salumi with toasted local rosemary focaccia.

80if.jpg

Jolly Pumpkin Lambicus Dexterius. A pleasure to drink, but, honestly, it was lacking in much complexity. I suspect this might just be the case for still lambic, as the comparable releases from Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon seemed similar to me. The effervescent carbonation of a gueuze releases a lot of flavor and aroma.

p5u.jpg

Craft brewers conference in town this week> Event #1 at The Bluebird with The Bruery of Orange County, CA. Delicious!

www.bluebirdchicago.com

http://www.thebruery.com/index2.html

Drank all these...

Orchard White

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse

Saison Rue

Rugbrod

Mischief

Saison de Lente

Oude Tart

White Oak

The Oude Tart was my favorite of the night closely followed by the Saison Rue and then Rugbrod...

thebruerybeerbottles.jpg

^^ Beer should be stored cool (or cold) and in the dark. Way too damn bright in there

The only place it can be bright is at the very front, took me ages to get a good picture, it's normally like a bat cave in there! Plus this is britain we're talking about, I'm shocked to see the sun.

100_1026.jpg?t=1271372900

Comes from a brewery about 3 miles away from my house, and is DELICIOUS. There's a bar nearby that does an offer along the lines of "drink 5 and order the 6th coherently, and you can drink as much as you like after that for free".

Their money is pretty safe.

twisted or any other Chicagoans.....Any word on where to get some Goose Island Nightstalker? I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't even ventured into the local beers yet although I've only been here for a month and a half to be fair ;)

twisted or any other Chicagoans.....Any word on where to get some Goose Island Nightstalker? I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't even ventured into the local beers yet although I've only been here for a month and a half to be fair ;)

I saw some just yesterday at the Binny's in River North. Bonus--it's craft beer month there so if you have a membership card (free) you can get most bombers and 6-packs of good stuff for $1-2 off, a pretty good deal.

Bumpin dis off page 4.

I hated this. Just like their barleywine, Mirror Mirror: Soooo cloying. Overshadowed the delicate Pinot Noir barrel aging.

46n.jpg

Duuuuude. Of course you hated it. You arent even supposed to consider drinking it for another year and a half. It even says on the bottle.

Anywizzle, heres what I have to last until friday when I will buy more. Sorr for the size/blurryness. I was probably drunk. If you see doubles (or triples) of a brew its because I did buy doubles (or triples).

photo-44.jpg

photo-30.jpg

photo-36.jpg

Duuuuude. Of course you hated it. You arent even supposed to consider drinking it for another year and a half. It even says on the bottle.

That is a clever thing they do to get people to cellar their beer. A beer (though many such as the 2008 Abyss I had a few days ago get better with age) should at least be good when released. I have no problem cellaring a beer that shows promise. I just feel that that beer was very cloying, and that's a problem that won't resolve itself in just a year or two. Adding to that is the decline in hop bitterness which will give way to more malt sweetness.

Mirror Mirror, for example, said best after 4/20/2010. Still mad cloying. When I had the 2005 release last year it was quite nice.

The Jubel did show promise. Beneath the overwhelming sweetness lurked delightful berry and pinot barrel notes. Just thought it could have done with a bit of drying out. Hold onto that sucker for a while!

All in all, my point is that a beer should be good when released, and if style appropriate, should be able to be cellared and get better with age. These brewers know that the majority of consumers have no intention of holding onto a beer at 55 degrees Fahrenheit for any length of time. Hopefully this "best after" on the label helps people learn about the joys of cellaring. Certainly a rewarding endeavor.

Aaaaaaaanyways...

1986 Thomas Hardy's ale. Definitely cool to drink a beer from the year I was born. Decadent dark fruit, caramel and molasses. This is a great example of a well aged barleywine, and the crazy places beer can go.

goyd.jpg

2009 Lost Abbey Red Poppy. Preferred it fresh, as the fruit stood out more and provided more contrast to the very sour/acetic aspects. Still very good.

8nx.jpg

2008 Orval. Hops have taken a back seat to the Brett they used to bottle condition. Lively carbonation and lots of spice flavor.

6d4k.jpg

The Jubel did show promise. Beneath the overwhelming sweetness lurked delightful berry and pinot barrel notes. Just thought it could have done with a bit of drying out. Hold onto that sucker for a while!

I will let you know in 1.5 years! Everything else looks extremely tasty. I really need to get more into barley wines.

I'll post an update in a week or so, all my end-of-semester/grad school projects are due this week so I will be busy with no time for updates. Although, I've had quite a few great beers lately, including a 3Floyds x Half Acre Helles Bock that was superb. Although I'm bummed I didn't make it to Dark Lord Day (tickets went too quick), I read online that it was a total clusterfuck that would have made me crazy anyway. Oh well, maybe next year.

bandmate has been brewing beer with his uncle+dad for a minute, started making his own stuff. so far my friend's apartment has seen an amber ale, a saison, berliner-weiss, honey mead, a black cherry+black berry mead, and a hefeweizen got brewed on saturday.

Trying to figure out what i want to brew...most likely some sort of weiss, since i live in Austin and it'll likely start getting hot in a couple of weeks. any suggestions for a particular style? I'm thinking something super sessionable, prolly 3-4% ABV

Just some quick thoughts/ questions relating to this thread....

Sierra Nevada anniversary beers? The stout with anchor steam was first, more styles to come later this year. Anyone tried this yet?

Also, I've been buying New Belgium Ranger IPA recently, I think this is a good IPA! Anyone agree?

Here's a few from recently. I've had more, I think I just didn't get any pics

Three Floyds Brian Boru

4573181284_f7c86e601f.jpg

Short's Brew The Soft Parade. I really liked this, it was almost a lambic, but not quite as sour or funky

4573178198_6b1deae2b6.jpg

Short's Huma Lupa LIcious IPA

4572539547_fdc51b9c71.jpg

Lagunitas WTF

4573169702_e9e600b6e0.jpg

and a Three Floyds x Half Acre collaboration Helles Bock. This was really good.

4573167090_de1c40b840.jpg

ill take a new glaurus brewery beer whilst in my home state....

red squirrel or spotted cow usually.

Lakefront brewery if i can find it around Milwaukee.

PBR as a session beer....

otherwise a sierra nevada pale ale in a divy type bar