state your beer, drinkers

Haha, speak of the devil, here are the spoils of my weekend trip to SF...

@ Toronado

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron

DSCF1923.jpg

Russian River's Salvation on left, Port/Lost Abbey 10 commandments on right

DSCF1920.jpg

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

DSCF1924.jpg

Not pictured, Pliny the Elder

From City Beer Store/Russian River Brewing:

DSCF1931.jpg

So much Pliny (no growlers at RRB at present), Salvations, and Temptation barrel aged from City Beer Store

DSCF1933.jpg

Hop-15, 10-Commandments, Judgment Day, 2nd Anniversary

DSCF1934.jpg

Alesmith's Speedway Stout

DSCF1935.jpg

Hair of the Dog's Fred and Adam

DSCF1936.jpg

Bonus Pliny shot next to Pliny colored van

DSCF1912.jpg

My friend and I started @ City Beer Store after hitting up In-n-Out on our way into SF, then carried all that beer (minus that bought at Russian River) to Toronado. After enjoying happy hour, we went to Self Edge to show off our beer and chat for a bit. We checked out the Monk's Kettle after since it is right by SE, but after being at Toronado, it paled in comparison in both price and selection. We then got delicious burritos and took BART to Berkeley to see my former classical guitar instructor play with his trio.

The Japanese have a word for a day of decadence where the goal is to eat and drink yourself to death. I forget what it is, but this was it.

Think I'm gonna go check out the Stone brewery in the next couple weeks..........just have to find someone to be DD......:D

socal err.. sd sufu meetup? england saturdays are usually a good day to go if you plan to get growler fills, since they usually put something new up until that keg is gone.

Has anyone had a chance to try some stuff from the foothills brewing company in Salem NC?

http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/

They are relatively new, and wont be bottling until 2009, but I had a chance to try a few of their brews at a microfest here in Virginia. I was blown away. Really, really good. I recommend their sexual chocolate and double IPA

POAST MOAR PICS GAIZ!!!1!

Yesterday we broke out another of the City Beer Store acquirements, Port's Hop-15. Take the best DIPA you've had, then add too much apparent alcohol which

makes it not the best. Great mouth feel, velvety, rich and smooth. Great explosive hoppiness, but I get a hint of barleywine in the form of malty sweetness and alcohol, not a bad thing, but not what I want in my DIPA.

DSCF1949.jpg

Another great beer from Ommegang, their saison, Hennepin. It was delicious.

DSCF1952.jpg

yea, ive been wanting to try that dogfish head! i cant find any in my area though, theres a couple of their 120min ipas on ebay right now. id love to try one at 20% alcohol :eek:

oh and nice quote

the 120 is great. My wife hates it because it's so sweet. It's almost like Port wine.

I don't think Flying Dog beers are so great, save for the packaging. Much rather have Dogfish Head or similar. 60-min IPA awesomer/brutal.

Yeah; they're pretty boring.

Anyone had the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale? I've passed it and passed it by...

It's not very good. The Harvest ale is supposed to be their best non-Celebration Ale offering, but I've never had it. Everything else I've tried by them (save Celebration, which is great) falls short of the already relatively low standards of the SNPA.

But then, I've really lost much of a taste for these over-the-top American double IPAs, imperial stouts, etc. These days I'd rather DFH 60 to 90 or 120; regular Stone IPA to Ruination, etc. The frou frou Belgian bombers I do enjoy for rare occasions but most of the time I just want a solid pale ale that doesn't taste like grass. I would trade 90% of the selection in NYC if we just got distribution of Bell's Two-Hearted.

Looks delicious...

Tonight

S1051243.jpg

Paired with:

S1051244.jpg

This burger has a 3/4 pound patty of chuck ground for us by the butcher, crimini mushrooms sauteed with worcestershire and horseradish, long and low sauteed onions, fresh mozzarella, butcher supplied bacon, and heirloom tomatoes on an onion and cheese kaiser roll. It was so damn good. We set out to make the perfect burger, and we did pretty well.

We paired it with a dark Belgian offering from Russian River Brewing, Salvation. When we tried it last week, we knew we had to have it with a burger or steak. It has a robust beefinss that is magnificent with a burger.

I tried one (a pumpkin beer) from a brewery in Berkeley. It sucked ass.

Renski. I am jealous and I want to rep you so much more often than I can. I had the privelege of trying an '06 DB that my friend had cellared last month. It was pretty good.

I am trying to plan a trip to San Diego this Winter break. My excuse is to visit friends. My real Reason is beer. $117 round trip plane tickets from San Francisco. It's on. What to see besides Lost Abbey/Port, Alesmith, and Stone?

I have more beers to post, they are just on other people's cameras. Stay tuned.

I tried one (a pumpkin beer) from a brewery in Berkeley. It sucked ass.

Renski. I am jealous and I want to rep you so much more often than I can. I had the privelege of trying an '06 DB that my friend had cellared last month. It was pretty good.

I am trying to plan a trip to San Diego this Winter break. My excuse is to visit friends. My real Reason is beer. $117 round trip plane tickets from San Francisco. It's on. What to see besides Lost Abbey/Port, Alesmith, and Stone?

I have more beers to post, they are just on other people's cameras. Stay tuned.

likewise. i need to spread more rep before giving out again. well, if you want to catch a flight your best bet is from southwest or virgin. southwest has those specials every couple of weeks and i heard that virgin is good good as well.

along with those breweries dont forget; ballast point, oggis, pizza port, hamiltons, coronado brewering, callahans, and rock bottom (im not sure if these are outside of SD). If you find yourself wanting to drink more you can always head to neighborhood, toronado, and the yardhouse. theres a lot to drink, let me know if you make it down.

cheers!

let me know if you make it down.

cheers!

I will. Thanks for the recommendations.

I just sent Russian River a long and well written e-mail trying to get them to distribute up here in Humboldt where I go to school. I don't imagine it will work as they seem pretty reluctant to distribute to new areas, but you never know if you don't try. Wish me luck!