state your beer, drinkers

Good call, there are a few around the Bay. Thanks for the heads up!

Here is a selection of my beers from the past few weeks...

I've told you all about this one already. Perfection.

DSCF1660.jpg

From the makers of Piraat and Gulden Draak. Something different, light, buttery, crisp. Almost like a good Chardonnay.

DSCF1649.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Lambic, but this is the real deal. Quite interesting, sour, dry.

DSCF1648.jpg

Dark, beastly, roasty, and a hint of smoky bacon!

DSCF1647.jpg

Best cellared beer I've tried. Mellowed yet still definitely a dark IPA. Very rich head.

DSCF1646.jpg

Bonus shot:

DSCF1640.jpg

I love Lagunitas, but fuck this beer. A poor American take on the Belgian tripel. Acrid, lifeless, hard to finish.

DSCF1637.jpg

Trader Joe's Vintage 2007, thanks for the heads up England; HeBrew rye imperial IPA. I love Hop Rod by Bear Republic, so I was excited to see another take on the rye IPA; Lagunitas IPA, I include this simple beer as a testament to why I love Lagunitas. I went in to their Petaluma industrial park brewery, went in to the office, and asked if they sold pint glasses. They did, for $2 (and it's the coolest pint glass I own to boot). He asked if I wanted some beer to fill it, and I asked if they sold individual bombers, to which he replied "nope, just cases, but I can give you an IPA." Good people; Damnation by Russian River. If it's anywhere near as good as the Pliny, I'll be a happy camper; Allgash Curieux, a bourbon barrel aged triple. After the disappointment at Russian River of no barrel aged beers for 2 years, I needed a substitute!

DSCF1665.jpg

I think i'm going to do it..

Bruce Patton's guest brewer this month is Stone..

Check out this menu:

http://www.beer-chef.com/assets/menus/Stone2008.pdf

For those that aren't familiar with Mr. Patton and his monthly dinners, check this out: http://www.beer-chef.com/

Pliny the Younger > Pliny the Elder

Agreed, probably one of the top ten beers i've ever had.

the Younger is so beyond balanced and well rounded, especially for it's ABV that it's amazing they don't promote it more heavily. I think they like keeping it as almost an urban myth type release.

SD beer meet up?

Bruce Patton's events are always in San Francisco... The brewer comes to SF...

Agreed, probably one of the top ten beers i've ever had.

the Younger is so beyond balanced and well rounded, especially for it's ABV that it's amazing they don't promote it more heavily. I think they like keeping it as almost an urban myth type release.

Every time I go into Toronado, I pray I see Younger on the board. I have gotten a few random midnight calls from friends "Younger...Toronado...Now".

Anybody ever had Mother of All Beers from Pizza Port (forget which one)? I have seen it on tap once at Toronado like 4-5 years ago but haven't seen it since. I keep thinking it is one of the greatest beers I have ever had but it might just be from the name. Anybody?

I was hoping to find the Younger at the brewery, but to no avail. Hopefully I can try it soon, as any IPA that beats the Elder must be spot on.

In other news, I have located a secret cache of 080808, and will be destroying on it in t-minus 30 minutes :)

Favorite Beers

St Bernardus Abt 12

Westvleteren Trappist 12

Firestone Double Barrel Ale

Unibrou Terrible

Guinness

Favorite Bars:

La Trappe - San Francisco

Trappist - Oakland

Toronado - San Francisco

99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall - Santa Cruz

To the SF heads: I have not been here, nor will I be able to soon as I'm leaving for Humboldt county tomorrow, but this looks like a great place to check out: http://www.citybeerstore.com/

They are having a barrel aged festival and I'm very sad I'm going to miss it. If you can go, sounds like a beautiful thing.

I go to City Beer about once a week or so.. Just to hang out, have a beer, buy some beer.. basically geek out for an hour or so then leave.. It's a tiny space but it's big enough to go grab a beer with a friend..

Cool, I'll have to make it over there soon.

And Mike, I think I could stand to cut back, haha, the ol' denimz demand a strict regimen of jogging and healthy eating to counteract the love of beer. Also, I like to keep it quality over quantity when I'm partaking, but we all know that's not possible 100% of the time :D

Edit: it also doesn't help to have this thread, and beer connoisseurs as friends!

Post edit thought: On August 23rd, there is a beer festival in Fortuna, in Northern California, Humboldt county. 5 hours north of SF, probably way too far from anyone on SuFu, but I went last year and it was epic. $20, all you can drink samples from many great breweries, as well as absolutely fantastic large scale home brewers. I have a beautiful house up there and any SuFu-ers who make it are welcome to crash! Perhaps a good excuse to go meet up with some Pacific Northwest friends, or vice versa if you have some friends in the Bay, haha!

^Nice selection

Had this a couple days ago. Not bad. A bit too much carbonation for my taste, but at $5 for a 750 ml bottle, I'm not complaining.

DSCF1671.jpg

Just had this this afternoon. I'd been craving it, so I went out and got one. I prefer this to the 12th anniversary. After the first glass, I spilled a full glass of it on myself and my desk, ruining my checkbook and some bills. It also got on my keyboard and carpet, but my jeanz could use a wash anyways.

DSCF1677.jpg

For it's style Trumer is seriously hard to beat for an American produced version.

Monday night.

San Francisco.

Bender's Bar.

19th Street @ South Van Ness

8:30pm.

They have some great beers on tap.

I'll be there with Onemancult, Timber, Junglejane, Bizzy, SidneyLo, Larsss, Justice, Tangerine, AYN, and more..