state your beer, drinkers

if you guys want to do bottle exchange (I don't really know the logistics - sending beer by mail...? that's, like, illegal, right?), let me know. 

i think layne and i have access to similar-ish material, but i can source hops and grain, JK, and other hill country exclusives.

^ Ship via FedEx and you're fine.  I recently had a Prairie bottle leak and FedEx took everything out, re-padded all the beer, re-packed and let it continue to it's final destination  :) .

If you have a FedEx account, you can print the label at home and just drop the box off... never have to deal with anyone at the store.  And a bunch of locations now have those self-serve stations that do essentially the same thing.

The safest way that companies use is a wine shipper.  You can find 6 and 12 bottle varieties at nicer wine/liquor stores and I think U-Haul even sells them.  What I've often done is purchase one and the person I'm trading with just ship it back and forth with beer for each other until the box falls apart.  It's easily worth $10 for safe transport of beer numerous times.  Or you can always go buy a box, bubble wrap and padding, but it's basically the same price and not as re-usable.

One thing I have learned with the foam wine shippers is to stuff some padding (plastic bag, cardboard, whatever) between the glass bottle and the foam wall.  That way you don't have bottles rattling around and squeaking... if you're paranoid about shipping beer, it's worth the effort so the employees don't get nosy.

^ Ship via FedEx and you're fine.  I recently had a Prairie bottle leak and FedEx took everything out, re-padded all the beer, re-packed and let it continue to it's final destination  :) .

If you have a FedEx account, you can print the label at home and just drop the box off... never have to deal with anyone at the store.  And a bunch of locations now have those self-serve stations that do essentially the same thing.

The safest way that companies use is a wine shipper.  You can find 6 and 12 bottle varieties at nicer wine/liquor stores and I think U-Haul even sells them.  What I've often done is purchase one and the person I'm trading with just ship it back and forth with beer for each other until the box falls apart.  It's easily worth $10 for safe transport of beer numerous times.  Or you can always go buy a box, bubble wrap and padding, but it's basically the same price and not as re-usable.

One thing I have learned with the foam wine shippers is to stuff some padding (plastic bag, cardboard, whatever) between the glass bottle and the foam wall.  That way you don't have bottles rattling around and squeaking... if you're paranoid about shipping beer, it's worth the effort so the employees don't get nosy.

that's dope. too bad we kinda live (relatively) close to each other and can't surprise you with elusive brews. it would have been cool if we did this when i was living in the deep forests of...maine

I think I might want to jump in on this, as long as anyone here likes Jacksonville breweries.

a store in syd miraculously got some jester king stuff - bought a bottle of ambrée, which was probably the best beer i've had to date. i'd love to see more of their stuff get distributed here, or the french/belgian saisons they reference

I think I might want to jump in on this, as long as anyone here likes Jacksonville breweries.

Does cigar city make it to Jacksonville? Fresh jai alai is always a treat!

The best thing for us to do may be a BIF (beer it forward). I send someone beer and they send someone else and so on and it eventually makes it back to me. The thought being you're likely to get good stuff if you do the same for someone else. It works as long as you don't have some shitbird ruin it for everyone. A BIF is also good so people in the same area aren't stuck sending each other beer.

I know SUFU does that organized partner trading thing... I did it a couple times but am not very active on the other boards lately. It's not too much diff than that, just with beer.

The best thing for us to do may be a BIF (beer it forward). I send someone beer and they send someone else and so on and it eventually makes it back to me. The thought being you're likely to get good stuff if you do the same for someone else. It works as long as you don't have some shitbird ruin it for everyone. A BIF is also good so people in the same area aren't stuck sending each other beer.

I know SUFU does that organized partner trading thing... I did it a couple times but am not very active on the other boards lately. It's not too much diff than that, just with beer.

I hear u. That gift exchange (whatever it's called) is kind of out of control. It really sucks for dudes who get really crappy boxes while some get huge treasure boxes with crazy ass shit. I don't participate because I have nothing to, like, give out except maybe japanese snacks and artisnal locally produced items from Whole Foods. I don't know how people have so much "cool shit" to give away.

Edited by herpsky

I don't really fuck with whalez BIFs.  It's more about sending good shit from your area that's basically a shelf turd.  I don't expect anyone (including myself) to sit in line for beer and basically give it away to dudes on the internet! :P That said, I welcome you sending me some Tree House IPAs.

EDIT:  just looked up that Joe IPA.  Simcoe, Amarillo & Mosaic... yes please.

Edited by Layne

Cigar City is more popular here in Jacksonville than some of the local breweries.  Jai Alai is one of the top selling beers at most places that tap it for IPAs

I have quite a few breweries doing other stuff but Cigar City is one of the better things to enjoy here.

Edited by FLDenim211

Do you guys go on foot to get your beer or do some of you use websites?  The variety in my town is lacking heavily and I need to stretch my internet legs to find more good beer in this world.

I don't so much trading anymore because it got kinda old... Too many fucks on the internet trying to get a leg up.

For the most part, there's enough great beer available in TX. I am in Bruery Hoarders Society and Rare Beer Club (kinda meh sometimes), but there are a ton of local bottle-shares to try all kinds of stuff.

Radlers rule!

Boulevard Brewery makes a Ginger Lemon Radler that is so refreshing on a hot summer day.

i'm going to tokyo in a couple of months and decided to make a connection in minneapolis so i can drink some elusive beer

Not your Fathers Rootbeer, anyone? Also any midwest people, if you get the chance to try any Three Floyds or Sun King, do it.

Edited by DJScrew

I liked it but only had a 2 oz pour that someone gifted me. Remember thinking it was great (as a root beer fan) but have heard others say they found it too medicinal. Want to try a full bottle soon.

On that note, anyone tried Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer?

Not Your Father's I found to be really sweet compared to my preference for root beer, Mission's root beer is another hard root beer I found to be more boozy and medicinal in a way that I enjoyed more than Not Your Fathers.

the people making Not Your Father's is supposedly a subsidiary of the people making Four Loko.

Not Your Father's I found to be really sweet compared to my preference for root beer, Mission's root beer is another hard root beer I found to be more boozy and medicinal in a way that I enjoyed more than Not Your Fathers.

the people making Not Your Father's is supposedly a subsidiary of the people making Four Loko.

Makes sense, you can only do about 3 of them then the sugar starts to hit you. Good lil summer drink tho

Not your Fathers Rootbeer, anyone? Also any midwest people, if you get the chance to try any Three Floyds or Sun King, do it.

If you're in the mood for a soda, NYFRB is pretty good.  Tastes just like an A&W.  In most cases though, if I want a beer I'll be going for something else.  I still have two bottles of NYFRB in my fridge from like a month and a half ago.

• 2 weeks later...