state your beer, drinkers

Have been drinking Tsing tao in asia and occasionally Corona

haha, when i lived in beijing there were these giant bottles of tsing tao for like 3rmb (i think it's gone up a bit) and literally you pissed the entire bottle out within minutes of finishing one. i absolutely do not think they were real tsing tao, they tasted nothing like the smaller bottles. also many times at san li tun i would see one of those giant bottles get smashed on someone's head. fucked up but p funny :3

but, the reg tsing tao's were actually not so bad as far as china beer. kind of miss them u_____u

Let's revive this thread. Anyone up for a trade?

trade as in send each other beer? yea i'm down. lots of decent craft beers here in atx i could do a nice package. how does it work though how do they not shatter into oblivion in transit

trade as in send each other beer? yea i'm down. lots of decent craft beers here in atx i could do a nice package. how does it work though how do they not shatter into oblivion in transit

the larger Spec's in your area or wine stores should sell 6 or 12 bottle styrofoam shippers.  be advised that many 750 ml bottles, esp ones with a cork+cage, are too big for some pre-built shippers.  worst case - buy a box and a bunch of bubble wrap and you should be good... i often put electrical tape around the caps as a second line of defense.

i prefer fedex over ups.  don't use usps cuz it's illegal to ship alcohol through them.

i would say count me in but i already have too much beer and i'm in houston so we basically have the same market.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the larger Spec's in your area or wine stores should sell 6 or 12 bottle styrofoam shippers.  be advised that many 750 ml bottles, esp ones with a cork+cage, are too big for some pre-built shippers.  worst case - buy a box and a bunch of bubble wrap and you should be good... i often put electrical tape around the caps as a second line of defense.

i prefer fedex over ups.  don't use usps cuz it's illegal to ship alcohol through them.

i would say count me in but i already have too much beer and i'm in houston so we basically have the same market.

this is good advice.  my buddy from SF went to Russian River Brewery and sent us a variety pack.  One busted in transit (shipped through USPS).

Used lots of bubble wrap so its not 100% safe packing it that way.

I'd be interested in a trade, I'm in southern california.  Perhaps someone has an interesting sour?

surly - what JK do you have?  Brewery exclusives or shelf stuff?  I missed out on fen tao and colour 5 and would like to try.  Most of the other stuff I've had or can get in Houston.

TPR950H - I'd be interested in stuff from southern CA... fresh Alpine IPAs are always nice.  I've used nothing but bubble wrap and tape for packaging trades all year long and haven't had one issue.  Dude needs to step his wrapping game up!

i can get pliny kinda regularly from a liquor store by my house (limit 1 per customer, they post it on their instagram and itll be going within the hour)

if someone wants to trade ill pick up a bottle the next time it comes around.

also, ill keep a look out for Alpine IPAs.  the pliny i get is usually already a couple of weeks old.

edit: photo

925604_523116574458060_484344470_n.jpg

10831960_1509755802609392_680146739_n.jp

Edited by TPR950H

You're also forgetting the fact that it's packed to the brim, there are bouncers, and a line to get in. The average person would think they're passing by a dayclub or nightclub from the outside.

On the plus side, the beers are pretty cheap straight from the brewery, and you can buy a 12 pack of Pliny the Elder.

Edited by Redstar*

Just spent this past Sunday at russian river - $3.50 pints all day :). Pliny is still one of the smoothest IPAs I've had the pleasure of drinking but I wasn't particularly impressed with anything other than shadow of a doubt from their tap.

How hard is it to get pliny outside of cali?

• 4 weeks later...

Grabbed these at Jester King today.

I'm very lucky to live near such an awesome brewery.

JSUR42k.jpg

I enjoyed World's Worst Twin.  I wouldn't immediately say coffee but I get what they were going for.  I kinda picked up some fresh tobacco notes on the nose but it could just be me.

Natural Union was interesting to say the least... I could never drink more than 4-6 oz of it.  On draft, the spice level was too much.  All I could think was herb roasted chicken when I put my nose in the glass.  Maybe the bottled version will be more balanced.

Snorkel is quite good too - crushable as a TX summer beer.  I thought Figlet was kinda MEH though.  Didn't really pick up much smoke or figs... just seemed like a kinda bland JK sour with the Franklin's name attached to it.

The crowds were pretty crazy on Saturday but we got there just after 11AM and had a good spot in line.  Luckily the weather was perfect.  First time I've been back since they released batch #4 of Atrial.  Sadly, I haven't gotten to try Fen Tao, Colour Five or Biere de Blanc du Bois.

Edited by Layne

• 1 month later...

Honestly these days I sort of go with most anything from Mikkeller, it's mostly good and always interesting at least. I normally pick up the "It's Alive" in their different variations when I can find them. Last night had the mango chardonnay one. Pretty good, but rhubarb still my fav. 

26293.jpg

Edited by Kale Kohai