state your beer, drinkers

If you're anywhere near SF you need to hit up Toronado, in my opinion the best place to drink beer in North America.

I checked out their website and saw that they had 2 Cantillon beers on tap. I'm definitely impressed. List of bottles is pretty mind-blowing too. Too bad it's about 4000 km away from me.

I checked out their website and saw that they had 2 Cantillon beers on tap. I'm definitely impressed. List of bottles is pretty mind-blowing too. Too bad it's about 4000 km away from me.

We had a BA meeting there about two years ago and people came from all over the country just to go to Toronado.. The hardcare big-beer guys were blown away at how it's a bar that only specializes in beers that are so intense and big with very little emphasis on any other style of beers.

Probably some of my favs

Rogues hazelnut brown ale is one of my favorites.

stone's regular ipa and Russian imperial stout.

keegan ales hurricane kitty (ipa)

dogfish head's ipas in general

Baron's black wattle...interesting and very unique ale with wattle seeds, very distinct.

I've been trying to get my hands on a bunch of founder's brews but have failed thus far.

I'm stoked for the march beer tour... and Kiya any thoughts about my shipping idea?

Turns out we already ship out to a small handful of members.. Shipping turns out to be between $16 and $22 a month.

Mike, do you like the Celebrator? I regret not going to the Ayinger brewpub in Munich the two times I've been there.

I do like it and it's one of the best doppelbocks I ever had but it's just not the style of beer I drink very often. Ayinger is an excellent brewery and I'm lucky to have a store near me that carries some of their beers and pretty much gets them just for me when they run out.

I'm not big on visiting breweries, they are full of boring old people or obnoxious americans. I rather have a pint with a lovely lady or with my friends while watching football.

The Ayinger brewery is outside the city actually (in Aying duh), but the pub is a nice and small place to get some awesome bratwurst and even better beer. It's right across the street from that terrible tourist trap that is Hofbräuhaus.

Also, in a few weeks the Starkbierzeit begins and you can get some crazy shit like doppelbock gelato (4% alcohol!).

Just had my second bottle of the Scaldis Prestige..

It's not worth the $40 a bottle price.. It pours two full glasses, and for such a unique brew it's nice, but still not worth the price tag.

29196.jpg

My review and shit:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/21197/?ba=kiya

Low cal beer = shit. Excercise moar.

Agreed.

Don't eat fat free cheese, don't drink low-cal beer, don't do bunk drugs, don't wear pre-distressed jeans.

Rules of life.

Was wondering if anyone can shed some lights on rec of beers that taste as good as (or even better!) than guiness but with lower calories?

If you want to try another nice stout/porter, look no further than:

- Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

- Young's Double Chocolate Stout

- Beamish

- Kona Coffee Stout

You're not going to get a beer as good as Guinness with fewer calories. On a side note, if you've never had a pint of Guinness in Ireland, you've never had a real pint of Guinness. A proper pint is a fucking art form over there............

If you want to try another nice stout/porter, look no further than:

- Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

- Young's Double Chocolate Stout

- Beamish

- Kona Coffee Stout

You're not going to get a beer as good as Guinness with fewer calories. On a side note, if you've never had a pint of Guinness in Ireland, you've never had a real pint of Guinness. A proper pint is a fucking art form over there............

I'm assuming you mean Guiness Extra Stout and not the Draught crap. I've had the European version in Europe...tastes the same. But then again, it wasn't in Ireland.

I'm skeptical though. Guiness = Starbucks of beer.

englandmj7: I heard the guinness is alot better over there because of the water quality they brew it with.

True?

I've heard it's cause they have rat piss in the water.

I had Guinness in Éire and it tastes the same for me. I have it sometimes at the bar but I never drink it from cans/bottles, that tastes like shit. I think it's an ok beer, especially if you're counting calories (which makes you a poof).

englandmj7: I heard the guinness is alot better over there because of the water quality they brew it with.

True?

I'm assuming you mean Guiness Extra Stout and not the Draught crap. I've had the European version in Europe...tastes the same. But then again, it wasn't in Ireland.

I'm skeptical though. Guiness = Starbucks of beer.

Generally, you don't find Extra Stout on tap, so yes, I'm talking about the draught "crap."

The reason Guinness tastes better in Ireland, has to do with the way the product is managed. Due to the fact that it is, by far, the most popular beer in Ireland, the volume of Guinness coming through your standard Irish pub is unparalelled anywhere else in the world. This means the kegs are changed more often and the lines are cleaned more often. The Guinnness is transported at a cold temperature from the factory directly to the pub. It doesn't sit on a ship at room temperature for 3 weeks, then on a warm dock in Long Beach for three more, then through a distributor, then out to Wisconsin. In addition, you will rarely ever find a bar in Ireland that doesn't give you two correct pours to make a pint, with a 2 minute settling period in between. After you get your pint you should also have to wait another minute at the very least for it to settle as well. The vast majority of the Guinness draught in most of Europe and the US is poured all at once, often in an incorrect glass, and is generally flat and quick to settle. In addition, Guinness made for export contain extra preservatives for an 18 month shelf life, whereas Guinness kegs made for Ireland have 3 months shelf-life (not saying an average drinker could taste this difference, but it's interesting nonetheless).

It's extremely sensitive beer: the keg has to be pressurized at 30-40 lbs. per square inch, and the mixture of nitrogen and carbon dioxide must also be correct at 75% (nitrogen) and 25% (carbon dioxide).

It's also just part of the experience of being in Ireland........

In addition, Guinness made for export contain extra preservatives for an 18 month shelf life, whereas Guinness kegs made for Ireland have 3 months shelf-life (not saying an average drinker could taste this difference, but it's interesting nonetheless)

I've heard that too but one of the 'beer gurus" told me that it's not the case anymore. I'm not sure if he's right.

You're right about the kegs and lines. If the bar doesn't serve a lot of Guinness than it will most likely taste like crap. I have it mostly at the bar that I watch soccer in every weekend, which is an all out Irish pub at night so they go through a lot of the black stuff. I can't taste any difference between that and the one at the brewery in Ireland. I know you're Irish so it will taste better to you over there, I also never tasted good pierogies anywhere outside of Poland ;)

btw I had a whole pint of Guinness spilled on my raw/selvage/japanese Samurai's today after Torres scored the hat-trick for Liverpool.

I've heard that too but one of the 'beer gurus" told me that it's not the case anymore. I'm not sure if he's right.

You're right about the kegs and lines. If the bar doesn't serve a lot of Guinness than it will most likely taste like crap. I have it mostly at the bar that I watch soccer in every weekend, which is an all out Irish pub at night so they go through a lot of the black stuff. I can't taste any difference between that and the one at the brewery in Ireland. I know you're Irish so it will taste better to you over there, I also never tasted good pierogies anywhere outside of Poland ;)

btw I had a whole pint of Guinness spilled on my raw/selvage/japanese Samurai's today after Torres scored the hat-trick for Liverpool.

Yeah, I haven't the vaguest clue what 'preservatives' taste like to even notice the distinction, so I wouldn't really base my argument around that anyway.

There is definitely a great feeling associated with eating/drinking something in the place where it originated, but I have to say, I don't think that is the main reason in this case.

Next time you're in Dublin, head out to Howth for fish and chips at Beshoff's and a pint of Guinness at The Bloody Stream. mmmmmm...........

Sorry about your denimz.

Do you have a website for that? I'm down in los angeles and might be interested

We don't really have a website.. We have some makeshift info site that was recently put up:

http://www.plumpjackwines.com/plumpjackwines/clubs_beerofthemonthclub.aspx?loc=fillmore

Drew is the name of the guy that officially runs this program, he's also the manager of the wine/beer shop that it's run out of.

If you want to sign up just PM me i'll put you in touch with the right person.

PM me with your full name and contact info..

Or just call up or email the store and ask for Drew..

Here is a list of the other brews we've had over the years:

http://www.plumpjackwines.com/plumpjackwines/clubs_beerofthemonthclub_notes.aspx?loc=noe

Guinness

Dunkel (the German kind)

Rogue dead man's ale

Duvel

Leffe Blonde

San Miguel's (only if i'm in the Philippines)

everytime i have a dunkel in Germany it's like the best tasting beer i've ever had. i used to go to a great irish pub in the middle of naples, italy that had a great selection of beers. i don't remember the name of the place, it was pretty hidden. down the street from it there was a scottish pub that was great too.