state your beer, drinkers

Herpsky - fyi heavy machinery is just the name of the series. They've done a half ipa, black ipa, dipa and a few others. I think the most recent is an English ipa... Not my fav style tbh. That half ipa was world class too... Almost as good as zombie dust.

Got he'brew hop manna in a growler.... Blech! Absolute shite

Dude, if you are in A, you have no good reason to descrump on beer. 

Ale Yeah, Hop city if you just want bottled beer and bombers. 

I mean, some of the world's best bars are in Decatur. Leon's and Brickstore. Shit, brickstore is like the #2 beer bar in the world or some shit. I still dream of the mai tai, old fashioned (it's like 5 bucks), corpse reviver #2, and most importantly, ramo's gin fizz from Leon's. 

PS. ATL has a crazy good food scene going - not some restauranteur yuppie bullshit. Bocado, H&F, Leon's, Community BBQ, Empire state south, Daddy Z's, star provisions, that new sandwich bar across from CDC, Bacchanalia. Pho Dai Loi on Buford. El rey del taco on buford. Haruichiban's got sick Japanese food. 

Honestly, most of these places are far better than the critically acclaimed spots in "scrump" cities like Austin, Portland, and etc. People in Atlanta are ridiculously nice. Also, HOT 107.9.

Edited by herpsky

Not too familiar with the Decatur area but the porter beer bar in little five points is a must stop for me when I'm in ATL.

I'll also drive well outta my way for nick's food to go.  Def not foodie but a fucking awesome gyro.

Herpsky, thanks for the reminder that there's a ton of places right around the corner that I still need to go to. I've been to several on the list but there's still a bunch I need to try. And there's awesome new stuff opening constantly, even in the suburbs.

I'm generally getting beer either at bars or growler bars, I'm not that into bottled beer for the most part. Occasionally might get a loose bottle here and there.

If you can, try 4 Pines Stout, great stuff - dunno if you're still on the GC, but it's stocked Dan Murphy's, brewed in NSW, and only like 50¢ more than Guinness Extra

Did this and was pleasantly surprised.

I usually drink my stout from the tap. If its bottle time i normally go for guiness extra stout which is a whopping 6% in japan and australia.

just copped a yellowrose from central market today. last bottle. it was like 8.99. 

YR is like 6 dollars if you get on draft. kinda absurd but cupped anyway.

i don't buy yellow rose bottles because they don't bottle date (mosaic hops fall off hard af) and growler fills for a 32oz are cheaper than a 750 ml (25oz) bottle.

also if you're in/around Austin, go get some of that new heavy machinery dipa.  my buddy picked me up a case this weekend! 

greenhouse batch 16 and 17 are out now too.

Edited by Layne

Too many good beers hit shelves this week. Firestone Walker Parabola, Stone Fyodor's Classic as well as regular IRS and the Chai Spiced version, and Lagunitas High Westified Imperial Coffee Stout. My fridge is full of great stouts. Lord have mercy on my wallet.

The KBS shit-show is currently going on in Houston.  All the stores are splitting up 4-packs and doing 1 or 2 bottle limits.

I haven't seen any Parabola yet but was told yesterday by the state rep that it's not coming to TX until May.

mikeboi - it really depends on the neighborhood you're in but there are several "big" beer bars that get hype.

Hay Merchant, Petrol Station, D&T Drive Inn, Flying Saucer, Mongoose vs Cobra

There are a ton of bars / dive bars all over that usually have 5-10 local taps.  Mongoose also has nice cocktails.  Grand Prize is one of my favorite bars in the city.  Dive-ish feel, superb cocktails, solid tap selection and they usually have Yellow Rose (my fav beer in TX).

The KBS shit-show is currently going on in Houston.  All the stores are splitting up 4-packs and doing 1 or 2 bottle limits.

I haven't seen any Parabola yet but was told yesterday by the state rep that it's not coming to TX until May.

Hay Merchant had Parabola when they had the FW tap take-over. It was kind of a shit show but I don't think the beer was really worth the crazienss. Nowadays, Hay Merchant's been totally bro'd out. I don't live in H any more but I usually went during the day because their HH starts at like 3PM. 

Yeah, what Layne said. Hay Merchant and Petrol are my top picks. The sandwiches at Petrol are a killer (don't get the burger – it sucks). Grand prize is kind of hit or miss. I usually get shitty cocktails like V&S. I used to frequent Lola's and Rudz. They have super shitty beers tho. LOL. I feel like the tap selection at Petrol is more interesting than HM. But then again, I've like probably had every single beer that's ever been tapped at HM. 

also, s/o to PG and little dipper. 

KBS? Kentucky bkfst stout? Is that really dope? I just can't forget three floyds dark lord and their rvre stouts. 

YR and Live oak hefe b the dopest beerus to come out of TX.

Edited by herpsky

Lol herpsky if you're talking about their crowler post pretty sure that was April fools. Bottles of OG black metal do pop up here and there though.

You've had bad experiences with the petrol burgers? When they don't overcook em, they're usually quite good. They can fuck off a bunch and spend too long getting food out.