state your beer, drinkers

Anybody had this year's Hopslam? I got a 6 pack last week and my taste buds must have changed. I've been lucky enough to have tried it every year for the past 4 years, but I have to say it tastes different this year. I'm not blaming Bells, like I said it just tastes different than I remember.

For instance, it's really sweet/syrupy this year when I remember the high hop content being a bit more balanced and floral. But then again, it could be just me.

And honestly it's still a great beer at a really good price when you think about it. I think I'm just chasing that hop dragon I remember tasting years ago...

If you watch any reviews on YouTube, BGN Chris reviewed it and said exactly what you were saying. That's one of the beers he looks forward to around Spring and he said this year's batch just isn't the same. So it could be Bells!

I totally agree about the Hopslam comments, not really my kind of DIPA. I had this year's a couple weekends ago and it is noticeably sweeter and thicker than the one I had last year.

Grabbed a few Jester King bottles at the store yesterday -- very glad they listened to the "fans" and decided to start brewing the OG Black Metal again. I prefer it way more than the farmhouse version. The new bottlecaps are also pretty cool.

DSC_0737_zps4cfd97a4.jpg

DSC_0740_zps23b959c0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been drinking a lot of der HirschBrau lately. Holzar-bier is definitely my favorite, but neuschwansteiner is good as well. Both are a must try if you like traditional German style beers. The mouthfeel and overall drinkability of their brews is out of this world.

going to boulder, co from thurs-sun, any recommendations on breweries to tour near by?

Avery is in Boulder and Oskar Blues is in Lyons. I'm sure there's more cuz that whole region is supposed to be a beer Mecca or whatever. Honestly, I'd just search Google or Beer Advocate.

• 2 weeks later...

photo.jpg

Picked this up last Sunday, been waiting patiently to give it a try tonight.

Insanely drinkable for 9%, not a hint of alcohol to be found. Has a really distinctive floral note I've never tasted in a beer before, lavender maybe? Really pleased, as I'm not usually a fan of Brooklyn.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to drink more sours lately. But wanted to post a sample of my haul from Dark Lord Day yesterday:

8690024949_dbce4c3359.jpg

I purchased my allotment of 3 Dark Lords and won the scratch off to purchase a barrel aged version. Unfortunately the Bourbon Vanilla was sold out (why wouldn't it be?) so I got the Port Barrel Aged. The other choices were Moscatel Barrel Aged (as the guy selling it said, "It's a shitty white wine grape") and one aged with Chilies. I figured I'd hold on to it and if I don't want it I could probably sell it for the cost of the whole experience.

All in all, I won't do it again. the $30 ticket just to get in, literally standing in line for 3 hours in the bowels of an industrial park, then paying a total of $95 for 4 bottles of beer is a one-time only thing for me. I'm glad I finally will be able to try it, I've been unable to get tickets for the last 3 years in a row, but yeah, I feel like I just bought some Dutch Tulips. I will say the weather was great and everybody there seemed to have fun. So if you get the chance to go with friends do it.

^ You're in Chicago so there's almost no reason not to attend DLD at least once.  That said, I'd never go far outta my way to attend.  Some guys I know from Houston went and their experience was much the same... I think one got a vanilla and the others went with that cognac or brandy or whatever it was.

Anyways, I've gotten some pretty cool boxes from friends lately.  Really enjoying the stuff from Prairie Ales out of Oklahoma.  If you get a chance to try them, definitely don't pass.  Unfortunately, they still don't come to TX because of our ridiculous distribution laws.

DSC_0745_zpse4196e41.jpg

DSC_0744_zpsa09d0215.jpg

DSC_0743_zps1bcbf287.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jester King releasing Atrial Rubicite next weekend.  Hoping for the best on bottle limits.  Was lucky enough to have a 2oz pour at a bottleshare a while back and this is by far the best thing JK has ever done... probably best beer outta TX in a long time.

JKAR_zps570dee53.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...