state your beer, drinkers

I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Drinking whiskey.

Anyway, to make this post beer related here is our lineup for the HIll Farmstead tasting:

Ann

Anna

Art (batch 1)

Art (batch 2)

Arthur

Biere de Norma

Birth of Tragedy

Civil Disobedience #1

Civil Disobedience #3

Civil Disobedience #4

Damon

Daybreak

E.

Everett (2011)

Everett (2012)

​Fear & Trembling (Bourbon)

Fear & Trembling (Cabernet)

Fear & Trembling (Cabernet/Bourbon Blend)

Flora

Jim

Jimmy x2

Mimosa

Vera Mae #1

Vera Mae #2

Growlers of Walden and Life Without Principle

Really all we're missing is BA Earl, BA Everett, Phenomenology of Spirit, Civil Disobedience #2, and Clara. Also I guess Art batch 3. Totally stoked about this :)

Edited by shufon

Yeah I talked to him man. He said he actually doesn't even have any of them except Phenomenology of Spirit, and told me just to remind him before I go up there next time and he'll open it with me. Then he went on for like a paragraph about being happy to hear that people are doing something like this rather than putting their bottles on eBay.

tumblr_m8x7w3FTot1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Civi Disobedience #1

tumblr_m8x87xmLMz1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Blue label Arthur (it's the old green label Arthur with house spontaneous cultures)

tumblr_m8x8t6iFpy1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Walden -- 4% IPA, collaboration between Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist

tumblr_m8x9ehNONY1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Art batch 1

tumblr_m8xa857mWF1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Art batch 2

tumblr_m8xapdjqKr1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Ann.. incredible beer but really I don't understand the extremity of hype now that I've had it.

tumblr_m8xbbfthPw1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Anna

tumblr_m8xcebzCTz1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Birth of Tragedy.. barrel aged imperial porter with cinnamon and vanilla. Was incredibly tasty.

tumblr_m8xcrsDgFy1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Biere de Norma. By far my favorite of the night, this was just spectacular.

tumblr_m8xd52gOtD1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Mimosa, probably my second favorite. Tasted like rotten citrus fruits.

tumblr_m8xdsrFH0X1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Vera Mae, dandelion saison.

tumblr_m8xed3aMIO1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Daybreak

tumblr_m8xekrSnpv1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Damon, bourbon barrel aged stout. This one surprised me, was much better than what I expected from talking to people prior. Extremely good.

tumblr_m8xev18Cjv1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Always good :)

tumblr_m8xfa0G1tf1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Fear and Trembling Cabernet

tumblr_m8xfwjKgSf1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Fear and Trembling Bourbon

tumblr_m8xgaftzW91qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Fear and Trembling Bourbon/Cab Blend

tumblr_m8xgh7EhM61qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Life Without Principle

tumblr_m8xgozKeXS1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Flora batch 3. This was crazy tart for a saison. I loved it.

tumblr_m8xhfxMp4C1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Civil Disobedience #3

tumblr_m8xi37Q2IE1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Civil Disobedience #4

tumblr_m8xidcJiQO1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Jim, red wine barrel aged black IPA.

tumblr_m8xisrguFn1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Jimmy, red wine barrel aged imperial black IPA.

tumblr_m8xjg0NIXR1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

3 batches of Everett. Definitely the fresher the better.

tumblr_m8xjvc3LhA1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

FInal lineup :)

tumblr_m8xjoouaQf1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Fremont Kentucky Dark Star. This sucked.

tumblr_m8xmqqkw9o1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Cascade Strawberry, not bad.

tumblr_m8xnjcZKS51qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Strawberry Brute :)

tumblr_m8xogijse81qjuprfo1_500.jpg

:D

Didn't get a pic but we also had B Nektar Dark Dark Goose. It was a mead thrown in a bourbon barrel that already had 10 gallons of Bourbon County in it.. so basically 2/3 bourbon barrel mead + 1/3 Bourbon County. Tasty stuff for sure. Also, this is the best way to drink Izzy:

1S41J.jpg

"Oh shit Patrick, the Reserve Society isn't building enough hype anymore!! We need a new hype train!"

Patrick Rue: "Just make a new Reserve Society with a new (awful) name, charge twice the price, and give them a few extra beers."

I don't plan on joining that, but I might join the Reserve Society again just to get some of the RS Exclusive beers for next year. Rye, Brandy, and toasted new oak variations on Bois (5th anniversary beer) sound good, along with Grey Monday, a new blueberry sour, and Kumquat Sour in the Rye.

Yeah, next year's lineup looks a lot better than this years. The Hoarders Society beers actually sound very interesting but ~$400 more than a Reserve Society membership for 10 bottles (5 beers, 2 each) that the Reserve Society members can't get? Seems stupid.

tru. a lot of this years stuff is pretty zzZzZzz compared to next year's lineup

aside from the 10 exclusive bottles, another good thing about HS is u get 2x RS allocations

5 BT'S TURN INTO 10 BT'S etcetc

idk if he was srs but t_c brought up splitting membership costs 3 ways for the HS (pretty sure 4 ways is do-able also)

which kinda makes sense b/c of the (at least) double allocations

someone from my fb feed was offering his HS spot too

tumblr_m9bq6wa0w01qjuprfo1_500.jpg

'09 Black Tuesday. Carbonation and apparently different malt base (??) definitely added levels of complexity I've never had in this beer. Was pretty tasty.

tumblr_m9bs1ycj2r1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Veritas 007. Best Veritas I've had, huge grape, very acidic and sour but not overly acidic. One of my favorites today.

tumblr_m9btjay6kZ1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

I shrugged this off when I saw it in the fridge because I thought it was regular Kate. Then I saw the Oak^2 and freaked out :\ I think this is the rarest beer I've ever had.

tumblr_m9byswZCZZ1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

The Jaspers, kinda disappointing.

tumblr_m9c1fxDznq1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Frambozen, not disappointing :D Almost jammy it had so much raspberry presence. Nicely sour though, really enjoyed this.

tumblr_m9c9jl6wku1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Incredibly bad pic but it's Allagash Resurgam. Strange beer, not really what I expected but pretty good.

tumblr_m9cdj5K6jK1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Everything we opened minus the '09 Double Oaked Kate. Those Kuhnhenn meads were fucking sweet, was on the fence about all of them.

Had Logsdon Seizoen Bretta last night. Was a bit disappointed, kinda liked the regular Seizoen better. Also had this:

tumblr_m9r6nabtxx1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Was nice. A little less fruit than I wanted, and kind of a cheesy funk from the raspberries but it was enjoyable. Would like to try the 2010 version so I can see what Beat on raspberries is like..

cgzih.jpg

SD Haulz + some for somethingauthentic

if any1 is lookin for hoppy bday holla @ me

Had some good stuff this past week:

De Dolle Oerbier Reserva vertical

tumblr_mabcxakAuD1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

198610_10100726524107045_1672085087_n.jpg

My preference was 09 > 07 > 10 > 08 > 06. 06 was just too old, didn't have any standout flavors or much character to it at all. Everything was just muted. 08 tasted completely different from the rest, smelled and tasted like a BA barleywine which was odd. 07 was the most sour and the most drinkable as well, drinking extremely well. 09 and 10 were very similar due to the body being really creamy compared to the other years, flavor was similar but 10 was somewhat muddled while 09 was just awesome.

Had this (unexpectedly) right after the vert:

tumblr_mabimgdUv91qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Spiced porters aged in bourbon and wine barrels on vanilla beans and cinnamon, blended, then refermented on dates. Very nice dessert like sweetness but balanced by the vinous flavors from the wine barrels. Liked this a lot.

tumblr_mad5z8nywm1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Alpine/New Belgium Super IPA. Just tasted like another amazing Alpine IPA. Wish I could get this in NY.

tumblr_mafe45Nmve1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

This was very good but I was expecting more. Kuhnhenn BB4D is still the king of barrel aged old ales for me. I just got a growler of 2012 BCBS and I still have a little bit of this Adam from the Wood left.. might have to try a blend for the hell of it.