state your beer, drinkers

Random pics from the past couple of weeks:

tumblr_m694bmjH2a1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

'11 Cherry Adam from the Wood

tumblr_m6cs91vOCP1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Bayerischer Bahnhof Leipziger Porticus. Picked up a handful of these thinking it was the smoked berliner with brett/lacto because the labels look the same, but ended up with a handful of 100% brett porters instead. Nice old world style, was kinda odd but tasty.

tumblr_m6gawta85n1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Westbrook Mexican Cake. This was the first pepper/chile/spicy stout I've actually liked.. much better than Hunahpu's in my opinion.

tumblr_m6gclnVVhA1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

2011 BASC. First time having this, was very tasty. Not sure how it is fresh but I'll actively seek this out from now on.

tumblr_m6gf6fQrSp1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

2011 Mamouche. It's Cantillon so of course it's good but I could do without having it again. Would rather have Fou Foune or St. Lam.

tumblr_m6gfwnLKHR1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

New Weyerbacher release.. wasn't expecting much but this was quite good.

tumblr_m6gnkhI8qV1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

2010 and 2011 Event Horizon. 2010 was very tasty, 2011 was meh. Both years were kinda one dimensional compared to the BASC.

tumblr_m6go61l80P1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Final lineup.. favorites of the night were BASC and Love Child #2. Double Pecan Porter was pretty awesome too but a little bit too caronbated. Also, we had an "accidental" batch of Ithaca White Gold that Chief put about 10x as much brett into which was much much better than the regular version.

tumblr_m6igm7Bfca1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

First time having this. Wow. It's like a creamy Alpine Duet, perfect in every way. By far the best thing I've ever had from 3 Floyds and one of the best beers I've had in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Pics from Cali last week:

tumblr_m6nsdsZOp91qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Pliny at Toronado, first time having it on tap

tumblr_m6rws02Zt21qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Firestone Walker.. 805, Pale 31, DBA, Solace, Hefeweizen, Wookey Jack, and Parabola x2. Was bummed they didn't have Velvet Merkin on tap :(

Started my b-day at Drake's Barrel House with a flight. 1500 Pale Ale, IPA, Denogginizer IIPA, Drakonic, 1 Candle Anniversary Sour, and Enigma. All of them were pretty tasty except Enigma which was a scotch ale/wheat wine blend aged in brandy and bourbon barrels then blended. Tasted like complete ass.

tumblr_m6t1fnYnWA1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Stopped by Beer Revolution to open a couple of Hill Farmstead bottles with B-Dawg

tumblr_m6t8d5MwpO1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m6t98f8FMJ1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Then went to Lagunitas and got another flight.. Gueuze (not a gueuze at all), IPA, Maximus IIPA, Olde Gnarley Wine, Fusion 8, Shut-down Undercover, Brandy BA Imperial Stout, and Imperial Stout on cask.

tumblr_m6tki0suBa1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

And finally Russian River.. 18 of their beers, too many to remember.

tumblr_m6vtonoXd01qjuprfo1_500.jpg

So I was at Toronado the first day there (when I got the Pliny) and was told they didn't have any Cable Car. B-Dawg helped me out with that and seriously hooked me up on my last day in CA:

tumblr_m6yntpBLSS1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

To quote B-Dawg.. dat gooze

tumblr_m6yosixwIm1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Veritas 010

tumblr_m6yprilTJc1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

2010 Cable Car

And lastly, I brought a Brute out to drink with my cousin but between the beer he bought for me before I got there (didn't even tell him to), his whiskey collection, and his wine cellar, we didn't get to it. So I opened it with B-Dawg:

tumblr_m6yqr0vdeT1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

If anyone wants some Boulevard Smokehouse Series beers, let me know. The grocery store by my apartment has cases of everything from this year except BBQ and the imperial stout. Apparently, people aren't willing to pay $10-20 for a beer from the grocery store.

I know they're not super rare or anything, but I'd be down to trade for stuff I can't get in Texas.

Edited by Layne

tumblr_m7dttmUV6Z1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

2008 vs 2011 Red Poppy

tumblr_m7du1mYatG1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Rapture vs Supplication

tumblr_m7e10cIzem1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Cherry beers + some. Didn't get to Fancy Pants, Dissident, Cherry Woods, Monomoy Kriek, or Cantillon Kriek so maybe we'll do another cherry tasting sometime.

tumblr_m7e23fcwlv1qjuprfo1_500.jpg

Got one of these yesterday, gonna open it next to my Frambozen sometime soon.

Two of us (including me) preferred Rapture, two of us preferred Supp. The beers tasted extremely similar except Supp had a little bit more brett funk in it and the mouthfeel was slightly thinner and more crisp.

St. Arnold DR12 released yesterday morning. That shit was way crazier than I thought it'd be... dude's were lining up outside stores at like 5 am. Basically every place that had it sold out in 20 - 30 minutes. I had no clue people cared that much about anything St. Arnold made.

I'm sure some small grocers still have some, but I haven't been able to track any down. I was able to reserve and snag a six pack and two bombers (that was all they'd sell). I haven't tried the bottles yet, but the cask version was tastier than the keg... all of them needed serious aging though.

The one of few perks living in Nashville. They just started selling bombers of Sue. Gonna have to get some. I haven't seen those glasses but it must be some collaboration with Yazoo and Flying Saucer (local bar in Nashville). Gonna have to get me one of those too

I love a good stout. In fact I don't live too far from Green Flash Brewery so I headed over there today for the Motor Union car show and enjoyed a couple of pints of their double stout. It's not a super fancy one, but really good (apologies for the less than stellar photo).

green_flash_double_stout.jpg

Just back from a few weeks in SF and NYC. Some great places to drink in SF - went to Toranado, Magnolia, 21st Amendement, Monk's Kettle, Anchor Brewery etc. Blind Tiger in NYC was great too. Even an average looking liquor store can be a treasure trove of delights.

On the whole though, I'm not a massive fan of the style of beers currently popular with you guys. In the UK we love session ales and they seem hard to come by. Everything is way too strong for me, both in flavour and alcohol content.

Yeah untappd is pretty dope. I'm wlgeorge on there for anybody who wants to add me. Gonna blow untappd and tumblr up on Friday with the Hill Farmstead tasting I'm hosting. We got ahold of all of the bottles they've ever released except for 5 so it should be a hell of a time :D

Edited by shufon

Gonna blow untappd and tumblr up on Friday with the Hill Farmstead tasting I'm hosting.

I'm rock hard right now. No jomo.

I want to be a whiskey drinker cuz of the badassness associated with it, but every time I take a sip, I realize I'll never be that person. Maybe I haven't had enough to refine (or deaden) my palette.... I'm not sure what I should be doing.