state your beer, drinkers

So the cans of Dale's I had were from 4/5/12, so almost 2 months old. The cans of Heady I had were less than a week old. My girlfriend said they were hard to compare because they had distinct differences, but I surprised myself and preferred Dale's. It was fruitier and had a watermelon thing going on that I liked.

Edited by shufon

Having a "cellared" alley kat unity brew smoked porter. Basically, its something >10 small breweries or interested parties supposedly working on a beer that will end up tasting...like something.

Had this in the cellar for about a year, maybe a month at non cellar temps. Unfiltered, so continued to ferment, which, recalling one I had fresh, has basically taken much of the edge off, and also removed a great deal of the porter-ness from the beer, yeilding a somewhat soft, but malty body, with a bit of smoke, and a decent balance.

All in all, I'm kind of disappointed on the one hand, as it was fairly hyped, and underperformed pretty much everything else in the series, on the other hand, it came cheap, so no huge loss.

(pictures when I find my camera)

If you have heard of the brewery before, congratulations on living somewhere cold

My neighbor is in a Beer of the Month club and gave me this a few days ago. Right of the bat, this thing is sweet -- I mean crazy sweet, especially the nose.

And I've had a ton of unfiltered wheat beers, but the quantity of sediment in this beer really surprised me.

DSC_0608.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

Made it to my group's weekly tasting last night and had all of these:

tumblr_m56fcly9To1qjuprfo1_500.png

Then came down to DC today for a few events leading up to Savor this weekend. Went to Churchkey for a Deschutes event tonight (mainly just to drink Abyss on tap until my girlfriend got off work). Ended up ticking a bunch of leftovers from the Sierra Nevada event they just had:

tumblr_m580xteYg91qjuprfo1_250.jpg

Wood-Aged Quad (100% aged in Heaven Hill barrels) - This was delicious!

tumblr_m580xteYg91qjuprfo2_250.jpg

Sierra Nevada Exportation (robust porter aged in Pinot Noir barrels previously used by Russian River) - tasted like a small chocolatey Consecration

tumblr_m580xteYg91qjuprfo3_250.jpg

Sierra Nevada Sidecar IPA and Foam

tumblr_m580xteYg91qjuprfo4_250.jpg

Flying Dog Sour Cherry (cherry berlinerweisse)

tumblr_m57uq7FCsV1qjuprfo1_500.png

And finally 2012 Parabola and 2011 Abyss side by side :D

what'd you think of the rye on rye?

I hope Savor is a good time. A friend of mine (who's not even a big beer fan) was working in DC a couple summers ago and went... he's talked shit to me about it ever since. Houston Beer Fest is going on here this weekend, but I was kinda forced into this event at work... I'm not very happy about it.

yo how the fuck was collage? lol

blend of 4 beers + aged in a shitload of barrels..is it #legendary? is it really worth it?

Crosspost from BA. Philly Beer Week. No rest for the weary.

Funky Buddha Passionfruit Berliner Weisse and Bonita Applebaum to start

L1000779.jpg

Then later, from left to right, Funky Buddha Bonita Applebaum, Last Snow, No Crust, and Last Snow again.

IMG_2075.jpg

Cheers![/indent]

Edited by islandboi8204

yo how the fuck was collage? lol

blend of 4 beers + aged in a shitload of barrels..is it #legendary? is it really worth it?

It's awful. Don't buy it.

@islandboi -- headed right now to Churchkey to have 7 Funky Buddha beers (including most of those you had) as well as a bunch of Cigar City and a collab between the two. Really looking forward to all of them :)

Not the greatest pics, but:

tumblr_m59psqCFAd1qjuprfo1_1280.png

Funky Buddha Raspberry Berliner, No Crusts, Bonita Applebum, Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, Pina Colada, and Daywalker Ginger IPA

tumblr_m59sx3fuZz1qjuprfo1_1280.png

Funky Buddha Last Snow, Cigar City Peach Jai Alai, Cucumber Saison, Apple Brandy BA Warmer Winter, and Blueberry Muffin Brown Ale.

Funky Buddha is all hype in my opinion. The Passionfruit Berliner bottle I got to drink a couple months ago was pretty damn amazing, but other than that I don't think the beers are nearly as good as people say. No Crusts was meh (how this beer got popular is beyond me). Bonita Applebum was not bad but gimmicky and I didn't care to try it again. Daywalker Ginger IPA sucked unless you like eating raw ginger. Maple Bacon Coffee Porter was delicious but I couldn't drink more than 6oz if I wanted to because it's so sweet. Cranberry berliner was pretty tasty but had a cheese thing going on.. I still enjoyed it though. Pina Colada was pretty awesome but I love coconut, and I don't think anybody who drank it without knowing it was beer would think it was beer.. it just tasted like carbonated coconut and pineapple syrup. Last Snow was nice, the most toned down of all of them, and the only one I wouldn't mind being able to get bottles of regularly.

Picked this up today.

IMG_0946-1.jpg

$37 at my store. Is this about right?

Drinking this right now. I like the smell, but taste is weak -- a little sour with initial sip and hint of whiskey that dissipates without lingering much. I see no resemblance to an IPA. Each sip's been the same w/ no unique or new flavors that stand out, or one that is dominant and gives it character. Glad I got to try it though since I've tried most BBCs and is one of the breweries that opened me up to craft beer.

7377095064_b137bec12e_z.jpg

Some easy drinking bottles and Unibroue's grande reserve

7377094888_d9fff0505d_z.jpg

^That Sgt. Pepper is a fun beer, wouldn't mind getting more bottles of that. Crazy lingering black pepper presence in that beer.

Did this last night with the tasting group:

tumblr_m5n48e9U1J1qjuprfo1_500.png

The BA Old Ruffian was kind of a random addition. We didn't get to much at all but it was still a decent tasting. The 06 LP Framboise surprised me and was actually my favorite of the night.

Went to one of my local spots cuz they tweeted that the Boulevard Love Child #2 was hitting shelves. Unfortunately, it hadn't hit their shelves yet! But I did grab these other 3 Boulevards tucked away in the back, as well as a new Avery Nineteen.

Shufon, I know you're a big sour guy... did you ever have the Love Child #1? Or has #2 made it up your way yet?

DSC_0612.jpg

coming up to nyc june 28 through july 2 and considering bringing a few beers.

any advice on shipping them ahead of time versus checking them at the airport? Delta and TSA both assured me that I will not be able to put them in my carry-on since they're greater than the 3 oz limit. And since I'm flying Delta, it's $25 for my bag... would I be better off just shipping it?

Nice timing Layne. There's going to be a large bottle share on the 30th :) It's up to you really about checking vs. shipping.. I usually just check the bag but if you don't want to pay the luggage fee, it's probably actually cheaper to ship them up here.