state your beer, drinkers

Sounds good Ren. Not sure if/when they'll announce the framboise release, but I'd like to think I'll be there. I have already had the Bourbon Token, but any fresh Duet/Pure/Nelson you bring up would be awesome. Could just pay you back or bring some beer in.

Hit up a small Kuhnhenn event this afternoon, six taps going. Nothing crazy but still some good brews.. American Barleywine, Mayhem (strong Belgian dark ale), Lunar Eclipse (black IPA), Solar Eclipse (18% RIS), Stollen Christmas Ale (tasted like German stollen cake? was weird) and Penetration Porter.

kuhnhenn.jpg

Picked up growlers of Solar Eclipse, Penetration Porter, and the barleywine

growlers.jpg

Here's the Solar Eclipse. This thing is sticky as shit, definitely one of the stickiest beers I've had. Nice balanced bittersweet taste and a surprisingly low alcohol presence. It burns my tongue just slightly but if I didn't know better I would assume this beer was 10-12%.

solareclipse.jpg

I went to Spec's on Smith Street for the second time today.

specs.jpg

This place is massive to me... I'm originally from Mississippi and anything over 6% abw is illegal. Needless to say, I have trouble picking new stuff out. After roaming around on my own and consulting with the staff, here's what I came away with.

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

This place also has a ton of sausages, various meats, and cheeses. I grabbed these two for an evening snack.

DSC_0293.jpg

Here are some pictures from Zwanze Day 2011 at Spuyten Duyvil with Shufon. It was an awesome afternoon of beer:

e703tc.jpg

Cantillon Kirek and Rosé de Gambrinus

280rrjo.jpg

Allagash/New Belgium Vrienden and Hassens Oude Kriek on gravity cask

54zpsp.jpg

Zwanze 2010

2w54kyv.jpg

Cantillon Vigneronne

1z1zcqf.jpg

Gueuze Tilquin and De La Senne Taras Boulba

16bxco4.jpg

First pour of Zwanze 2011

2nlrb6e.jpg

...and a lot more pours of Zwanze 2011

2j1ofhh.jpg

...and MY pour of Zwanze 2011

Also had Avery Brabant, Avery Dépuceleuse, and Two Brothers Askew but didn't get good pictures of them.

Then went to a tasting to drink even more sours (haven't gone through/didn't take many pictures):

Beersel Oude Kriek

Ommegang Aphrodite

Hanssens Lambic Experimental Raspberry

Russian River Consecration

Cascade Kriek

Weyerbacher Riserva

Upland Cherry Lambic

Rodenbach 2007 Vintage

Jolly Pumpkin Oro del Calabaza

Avery Anniversary Ale Eighteen (rye saison)

Upland Lambics are pretty good. They are fruit forward Lambics that taste like very fresh, the blueberry especially tasted like here were leaves and stems in it. The acidity is usually pretty restrained with a moderate level of funk. It would be interesting to try a straight Lambic or the base beers in a Gueuze to compare

It was ok but definitely nothing worth seeking out. Oak came through slightly, bourbon was there even less.. the nose definitely had a little bourbon in it but I couldn't really taste it. None of the overly hoppy flavor of Storm King though which was nice (in my opinion, although I know some people are into it).

WTF!!! why haven't I seen this thread before!!!

errrr huge beer fan here.

My favorite styles are Lambics, barrel aged imperial stouts, farm house ales, and crisp-clean ipas

some examples

Saison Dupont

Foret

Thiriez Extra

bam and Luciérnaga from Jolly Pumpkin

anything cantillon makes and sours in general

bells expedition

burbon county

Sculpin

anything from Russian river including blind pig, Pliny the elder ( have had the younger many times before the hype hit and think the elder is better) sanctification,beatification, supplication, temptation........

Nelson and duet ipas

man the list goes on and on

Will be posting some pics soon and geeking out with you guys.