state your beer, drinkers

2a9r1h0.jpg

Sampler of some house beers from Blackstar Coop in Austin. Really great place. http://www.blackstar.coop

left to right:

Vector - "intensely hoppy, dark roasted, rye malts" - definitely my favorite of the group

Recalcitrant Dockhand - "Roasted malt, molasses, vanilla"

Double Dee - "Rich, malty, lightly sweet - malty w/ residual sweetness and balanced hops"

High Esteem - "Pale, crisp, floral - brewed w/ a touch of rye + local wildflower honey" - this was really nice, too. Great, refreshing beer for a hot, windy day.

Also drank some Jester King Commercial Suicide. Really liked it. Milds/session beers aren't something I have much experience with, but it had very nice and subtle flavors. Caramely and light malt flavors with a little bit of oak from the barrel aging. Really nice if you want stout flavors but not...stout.

Been there. After a vertical of Abyss from '06 to '10 (minus the '09 which we opened after, as we suspected it was gonna be contaminated), had to dump the '09. On the plus side, Deschutes reimbursed me for that bottle as well as the remaining 5 in my cellar. They really handled this ordeal amazingly, and took care of their customers.

A geuzetastic few days:

HORAL's 2009 Toer de Geuze Mega Blend: 8 different lambic blenders and producers got together to create this bad boy.

215279_551224719390_30901258_31551538_4698081_n.jpg

probably the most rare and epic thing I'll ever have the honor to drink:

216333_551308701090_30901258_31552732_6902650_n.jpg

belmont station, had a flight for "hoppy daze"

8yhxqe.jpg

flight left to right: avery dugan double IPA, laurelwood imperial workhorse IPA, midnight sun obliteration vii (MAYBE. i can't remember, this sounds right but i wouldn't bet my life), rr pliny the elder.

back left to right: ninkasi vanilla oatmeal stout, avery double, pliny.

everything in the flight was more distinctly citrusy than i'm used to with IPAs, in my minimal experience. the midnight sun (if that's what it was, my bad) was so specifically grapefruity, i would drink it for breakfast. in a good way.

5651394021_c502d02e6c.jpg

Bell's Porter that my uncle brought from MI - solid porter, but not better than Smutty Robust Porter... exotic for MA :)

it did pair excellently with all the leftover veggies in my fridge/pantry (sweet potato, zucchini, various mushrooms, carrot) and a pack of chicken breast

oh and socal peeps... has anyone been to the stone brewery? i really want to go and check it out.

I would stop buying bottles of Rogue Dead Guy and start buying fresh Ballast Point Sculpin/Alpine Brewing beers if I lived where you do

oh and socal peeps... has anyone been to the stone brewery? i really want to go and check it out.

stone is cool place to hang out at but the food sucks. their appetizers are good and at times their beer list can be good. I've noticed a decline to what's on tap from recent years. I'd agree on getting ballast point and alpine beers, then again I love a good Cali IPA any day. if your located in SD and need beer spots shoot me a pm as im not sure if there are many SD sufu'ers.

anyone near socal going to stone sour fest?

When I was at Stone I thought the food was really good. I took my wife and kid and they both really enjoyed it...

If you do and they have the Vanilla Stout on tap... get it.

I've eaten there about a dozen times, everytime I go the food is bland at best but at a premium price. I like the whole natural, organic, and local thing but their entrees lack something. I do like their starters though, the ruination soup and cheese plate are what I usually end up getting now.

I've eaten there about a dozen times, everytime I go the food is bland at best but at a premium price. I like the whole natural, organic, and local thing but their entrees lack something. I do like their starters though, the ruination soup and cheese plate are what I usually end up getting now.

Maybe I hit them on a good day.... Keep in mind though it's a Brewery that serves food... not a restaurant that serves beer...

ie: go there for the brew not the food... but if you get hungry it's there....

Personally, I think that excuse is bullshit. Don't serve food if you are going to do a shitty job. You wouldn't make the same excuse for a gastropub that had dirty beer lines and old food--they're a restaurant that serves beer...

Although it's annoying that some breweries don't have food and just a tasting room, I don't mind having to bring a falafel wrap or get pizza delivered. That's much better than being forced to eat crappy food.

pretzels don't cut it when you start drinking. haha. if your going to label your self a bistro and have that premium price it better taste good. from my experience all their vegetarian/seafood entrees were terrible. I'll give their meat entrees a try if I make it to their sour fest.