DJs?

There is nothing wrong with using CDJs, have any of you guys brought your records to the club? That record bag is gonna be so heavy that its so not worth bringing all that weight for an hour or two set at the club. I love to use vinyl as much as the next guy but lugging heavy ass vinyl everywhere isnt cool. CDJs have become an industry standard as much as 1200s.

I've always only played vinyl and I've always drag my record bag around all over the place and I'm not complaining...

BTW. just bought some records today actually:

Compost black label #19 Jay Shepheard - "Pipes n Sneakers"

Compost black label #29 Tj Kong & Nuno Dos Santos - "Merging"

Stillmusic #27 Attias - "Aquilo / Okada"

Versatile #56 I:Qube - "Prophetization"

Codek #16 Various - "Superb Sounds"

Freerange #96 Yellow Sox - "Zig Zag"

When I was playing out regularly I only used vinyl and it gets to be a fucking drag. If you are spinning for 3-4 hours (which isn't unusual at all} you need 2-3 crates of 75 or so records each (more if you rock doubles). It sucks dragging all that shit into a cab and up/down stairs multiple times a week. Not to mention some drunk spilling a drink or bumping a table and ruining a rare record now and then. If I was playing out now I'd be all over Serato without thinking twice. Vinyl is cool, but technology is there for a reason.

• 3 weeks later...

hi kids,

what is the best software to get for pc mixing? ableton, torq, deckadance, traktor.. the list goes on and im confused. i would like something both powerful and user friendly.

what else do i need in terms of hardware or can i just do it all with my mouse? ooo, also i need some software to transfer my vinyl onto the comp.

thanks

jeepster:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1143701&postcount=2

i once recommended this system to an italian guy that wanted to start a nightclub in milan as a cheap alternative to a whole turntable setup. after reading the review above, a few things caught my attention that you might want to consider:

1. the sensitivity of the jogwheel doesn't really correlate with the sensitivity of the onscreen vinyl.

2. the fact that the pitch/tempo faders don't work spontaneously (need to be "activated" first)

3. there is inherent latency as the reviewer states, despite the fact that it is only sending midi signals back to the laptop

also, two questions for other DJs on this thread

1.) is it me, or did the makers of serato raise the minimum computer specs? I remember it working well with my laptop with 512mb, but after upgrading to 1.8 had to get a 1gb stick. I'm pretty sure 512 was the old spec, since it now says 1gb on their site.

2.) for those of you who have attained residency or spun at any clubs, bars, etc. can you share what steps led you to such a position?

Guest youkinorn

mixing as I type this.

lately I've been on the electro-house/bloghouse/whatever bandwagon.

also mix hip-hop.

been trying to get up on my scratching a tiny bit more lately...but it doesn't interest me quite as much.

1200 mk2s, american audio qd5-mkii, assortment of digital files with torq and real vinyl

my favorite part of DJing is switching basslines :)

2.) for those of you who have attained residency or spun at any clubs, bars, etc. can you share what steps led you to such a position?

For my first regular gigs it was a matter of getting to know the managers of the spots I wanted to play, and getting them to give me a shot at bringing them in more people than they were getting at the time. If they give you a tryout slot make sure that you get everyone you know to come down and support you. You should be able to work something more regular out with the managers when they see how much more booze they are selling when you play.

Of course this works best at smaller places. I got into more established places because people heard me play at small places and asked me if I wanted to come work at bigger ones, or because I played with bigger DJ's and they liked what I did and asked me to open for them. You can try the old method of dropping off your mix CD's too, but I've found that they rarely get listened to, there are so many people trying to DJ now that you really need people skills and some hustle to get a gig, club owners aren't going to come to you.

I started out as a promoter throwing my own parties, and by the time I was DJing myself I already had shit lined up everywhere. I've never had a club owner ask me for a mix.

i started DJing TODAY

i'm dead serious.

i just found a place that does lessons.

interesting so far

Lessons, haha you have to be kidding me..

your best bet is too get some decks.. turntables; though if you want it easier try cd players; if that is too hard for you then try audio/dj interfaces and use a lappy. Serious though never pay someone to teach you. Just bug someone till they teach you. Then learn from your mistakes.

jeepster:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1143701&postcount=2

i once recommended this system to an italian guy that wanted to start a nightclub in milan as a cheap alternative to a whole turntable setup. after reading the review above, a few things caught my attention that you might want to consider:

1. the sensitivity of the jogwheel doesn't really correlate with the sensitivity of the onscreen vinyl.

2. the fact that the pitch/tempo faders don't work spontaneously (need to be "activated" first)

3. there is inherent latency as the reviewer states, despite the fact that it is only sending midi signals back to the laptop

this is the type of thing i was thinking of getting... but my laptop doesnt fit the requirements

Any recommendations for similar products?

also i was looking at their other stuff

What do you think of CD mixers?

like this

http://www.numark.com/cdmix2

Ive always wanted to Dj and now that I have the time and resources I think im gonna pick it up but I need some help on some equipment.

I dont think i wanna use vinyls so probably gonna go with cds. Can you guys suggest me a set up roughly about 1000USD?

best bet is a pair of cdj200's and a second hand mixer. But that could cost more than $1000 usd... Im not sure though. Try ebay

Whats your style of djing? If if its going to be some hardcore turntablism then Pioneer mixers arent going to be for you unless you got the djm909 but thats way out of your price range. You could get a 909 if it was secondhand or something. The DJM-400 is good too. I dont know if they'd hold up to daily turntablism though. If you're a turntablist, then vestax or rane is more for you.