hey can anyone recommend a cheap reliable midi dj controller? i'm moving to a way smaller place and i need something for ableton and traktor.

vestax vci-300 or torq m-audio xponent

or the vestax vci-100 if you're looking for something cheaper.

personally i'm using the xponent and it serves my needs fine.

i use the Hercules RMX for traktor/ableton, it has a built-in soundcard to monitor/cue, jog wheels, all your knobs/faders and runs 200+ less than the torq + vestax, vestax also makes a smaller controller that might be cheaper, can't think of the name off-hand but i think it's more geared towards laptop djs

how do you like it and how fast did you adapt to it?

I'm a total dj noob so I may not be the best person to ask but I'm liking it so far. Some of the default mappings are pretty useless but you can always remap to your liking. If you're used to a standard mixer you may find the layout a little counterintuitive since everything is in groups of 8, so you're not going to have a neat row of 3 bass/mid/high knobs. If you're used to working in ableton and making your own effects racks you'll probably adapt quickly

until this day i stays rocking a vestax 05.

Vestax_PMC_05_PROIII_DJ_Mixer.83103530_std.jpg

i haven't really messed with any of the newer software besides rane's (56s. 57s) and some of the pioneer mixers. is it true that bpm's are automatically matched up on the apc 40?

of course it is. it's software based. the controller is just a dumb midi interface. no processing on board. ableton grids everything for you.

btw my mixer of choice since it came out. fuck computers, i'm impractical and i like it

djm-8001.jpg

love that 800. i think someone was selling one in the marketplace a couple of weeks ago. if i didn't love my '05 so much, i would probably upgrade to that. i would even settle with one of the older versions.

nothing wrong with the 05.

you stay with what you know. DJing is a lost art anyway.

love that 800. i think someone was selling one in the marketplace a couple of weeks ago. if i didn't love my '05 so much, i would probably upgrade to that. i would even settle with one of the older versions.

I has a DJM700 that I'm selling, PM me if you're interested.

Anyways, here is a mix I threw together today:

CBLVSN Spring/Summer Collection 2010.

Stream:

http://soundcloud.com/cblvsn/s-s-10

Download:

http://soundcloud.com/cblvsn/s-s-10/download

1) Cloverleaf Days - Bon & Rau

2) Elden St (Sebo K Watergate Edit) - Martyn

3) Flow Figure - Tama Sumo and Prosumer

4) Brothers & Sisters (Poodle Dub) - Bon & Rau

5) Take 1 (Saxophone) - Others Aka Bruno Pronsato & Daze Maxim

6) For You (Real Raw Remix By Jus Ed) - Cassy

7) M5B - Maurizio

8) Under The Radar (Ricardo Villalobos Mix) - Mike Shannon

9) Rarified - Tama Sumo and Prosumer

10) Space - Jichael Mackson

11) I Really - Sandrien

12) November Girl (Martin Landsky's A&H Mix) - Steve Bug

want to learn. will read rest of this at work tomo

What hardware do you need exactly for a DVS?

Laptop

Mixer

Turntables

Control Vinyl

Soundcard

Anything else? Could all this stuff (besides the laptop) be purchased for under a g? Would I be disappointed with all the hardware if I spent less than a g on it?

^get a vci-300 and vfx-1. you can get them used for less than 1k or new for slightly over 1k. I just got my analog turntables back yesterday from my friend after having used the vci for 6 months, and i much prefer the vci.

still though, you should learn how to use analog turntables.

agree with vci recommendation.

i am a serato/analog tuntable user but for cheap ways into DJing, VCI and traktor seems the best choice. i imagine its probably pretty easy to get the hang of as well. www.djtechtools.com is your friend :)

db

I never really liked the m5g, something about the pitch fader that doesnt do it for me. Prefer a plain old MK2.

I never really liked the m5g, something about the pitch fader that doesnt do it for me. Prefer a plain old MK2.

the +8/+16 is really nice to have sometimes though. Only pain is when someone inevitably spills a drink on or around the button that toggles between them which is what happened to weidna's. We've definitely stood there smashing that little button for minutes on end during sets only to have it finally switch seconds after giving it up. Awesome decks though for sure but anything technic's will do

you're both right. it's overkill. i just like the finish and i got them for cheaper than regular mk 2s.

Crooklyn Clan is always great but I think it would be best to make your own in ableton or something like that.

i still rip vinyl's on audacity. i wanna know what other programs/equipment everyone else is fucking with.

yeah, ive done it.

It's just laggy. Not badly, but too badly to use it at a gig or really for anything but just dicking around. IMO

too lazy to research how to do everything step by step.

is it worth it? even if you're just messing around with?

I figured this would be an appropriate thread for my first post.

I <3 Techno!

2x Technic 1200 MKII's

Vestax PMC-06 Pro "Mixstick"

Vestax VCI-100 with DJTechTools.com custom firmware and overlay

Traktor Pro

2x KRK Rokit Powered 8 Gen 2 Studio Monitor Speakers