DJs?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

let's bump this thread which deserves it.

been attending gigs, listening to new music and avidly consuming with pleasure various mixes lately... but still havent pulled the trigger on my first setup which would be ideally composed of 2 cdj-900 (which has been recently upgraded with a nexus version) + 1 djm 350 looking decent enough to me

but i've had a sort of late spleen telling me that at almost 27 it might be too late to get into this, given the enormous amount of younger talented people in the game and that i have yet no clue on how to produce (or even remix or edit) music which is imo the "real' way to get proper gigs.

on the other hand, i don't know why i am thinking like this since i will be very happy to first master how to mix and play a couple of parties, nothing really big (to start)

anyway this topic might be looked over somewhere else but which djs/mixes have you been into lately ? seen playing ?

for example, i have been enjoying those (very different) lately : 

https://soundcloud.com/breach-uk/boiler-room-breach-b2b-cinnaman

http://boilerroom.tv/recording/salva/ - salva is that boss !

https://soundcloud.com/waitwhatwho/rip-dj-rashad

lil 80bpm mix some random stuff couple rashad tunes nothing special

http://www.mixcloud.com/colinsouthwick/what-lies-within/

some vinyl i got on my most recent dig, check it out

i checked your rashad mix and  digged it... #teklife4life

good tunes selection... i can't remember the track you starting your set with though ?

what did you use to record this mix ?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking to buy a set of turntables.

Looking to spend sub-$500 per turntable, new or used.

Has anyone used the Audio-Technica LP 120 USB before? They fit the bill perfectly in terms of price and features (and are not butt-ugly like stantons), but i've heard that cueing/scratching/general pushing and pulling of the platter causes damage to this turntables internal gears (although i've seen plenty of ppl on youtube use it in exactly this way).

Any other suggestions appreciated. 

Turns out they're on the Gold Coast, but should be worth the drive down for what is a pretty reasonable price (I winced at that Ecko sticker though)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hollywell/dj-gear-lighting/technics-1200-z-pair-pioneer-djm-ti-mixer-/1055666796

When you realize you hate DJing I'll be glad to take them off your hands tho 

Thanks for that.

Am I kidding myself thinking i can get a decent pair for under 1k (read 7-800)?

I suppose that 1200's will hold their value at least. But I predict at that price they'll be gone in 1-2 days :(.

edit: msged him and they were gone. 

Edited by 034936

Probably, I see single 1200s go for around that much without a needle! They'll definitely keep their value, and you'll have a mixer, all you'll really need is a stereo amplifier, some headphones and some speakers, which I assume you have?

If you miss those, my friend has the LP120 (not the USB version, usb turntables are rubbish), and he likes it quite a lot, but it's just for home listening, which it's better for than the SL1200 considering it does 78 playback! I definitely don't think it'd hold up to the abuse of djing though

It ain't that hard to find tech 1200s for even $500 a pair, at least where I am. You just gotta be patient and something will pop up eventually; it's not even like they're that rare, any seasoned jawn hunter should be able find them for a decent price.

Although if you absolutely can't wait the new pioneer decks look pretty good.

you don't need 1200s for home djing. biggest misconception for rookies looking to buy turnies. cop a pair of playable cheapo used stantons for $400~ then go on from there. 

it's impossible to find 1200s for $500 a pair in australia. the cheapest i've heard of em being sold after they were discontinued was $800 for the pair + mixer. 

re: 1200s, i recently was offered a pair for $900 (VGC, in Aus).

Since their patent ran out, the only major benefit 1200s have over newly built turntables is the perhaps the build quality. Having said that, the build quality of new higher end turntables (rp-7000s, 1240s, st150s) is far beyond the needs of any bedroom DJ. 

Edited by 034936

• 2 weeks later...

The setup I ended up going with:

2 x Reloop rp-7000s

Traktor Kontorl Z2

2 x Shure whitelabels

lEDNKRY.jpg?1

Built quality, functionality and features of the turntables is excellent, would definitely recommend these over a beaten up 1200 if you can get them for the right price. I am surprised how useful the reverse, +/-8, +/-16, +/-50% pitch shift and variable torque features actually are.

Went with the Z2 mixer, primarily because it is the only all-in-one solution to instant (1 button) switching between analogue and DVS control in one setup, below $1k. Main gripe is that traktor effects are only applicable to analogue sources in live mode (not thru mode), which is basically too difficult. 

For a home setup with club-standard build quality, and flexibility to play analogue and digital formats, I can recommend all of these items.

a note on Traktor 2.6: So much more fluid and less demanding (on processing power) than older versions of traktor i've used (eg. with s4's). 

Edited by 034936

• 1 month later...

submitted a mix, rip rashad tribute https://soundcloud.com/waitwhatwho/rip-dj-rashad, to my school, theyre looking for four djs to play at the awful school-run venue. if i get selected, im definitely going to troll all the Worthless edm kids with the most offensive ghetto house set i can play

• 1 month later...