DJs?

Going to take a look at a used CDJ 200 that's priced pretty well this weekend and was wondering what exactly I should be looking for to be sure it's worth picking up. I know to make sure to plug in headphones, insert a CD, and make sure all the buttons work, but wanted to ask if there are specific things to check that would give signs of hard usage, not stored safe, etc. This is the first part of DJ equipment I've ever bought, and I'm hoping not to end up with a lemon. Thanks!

You buying just the one? If you can afford it I'd buy a pair if possible (a whole second-hand setup with a mixer would be even better), as it won't be able to do all that much with just the one when you get it home.

As for testing it, apart from looking for visible signs of wear, just don't be afraid to play the shit out of it when testing it.

Bang at the cue, play, loop, effect buttons numerous times to make sure there's nothing wrong with the contacts or no sticking. Of course check all the buttons work, but those ones are most used so would most likely be prone to problems. Do the same with the eject too.

Also, drag the pitch control up and down, both quickly to make sure there's no lag in the shift and then real slow listening to make sure the pitch is shifting with each movement.

You buying just the one? If you can afford it I'd buy a pair if possible (a whole second-hand setup with a mixer would be even better), as it won't be able to do all that much with just the one when you get it home.

As for testing it, apart from looking for visible signs of wear, just don't be afraid to play the shit out of it when testing it.

Bang at the cue, play, loop, effect buttons numerous times to make sure there's nothing wrong with the contacts or no sticking. Of course check all the buttons work, but those ones are most used so would most likely be prone to problems. Do the same with the eject too.

Also, drag the pitch control up and down, both quickly to make sure there's no lag in the shift and then real slow listening to make sure the pitch is shifting with each movement.

thanks for the reply man. I just received a CDJ 200 and DJM 300 for $235 which I thought was a good deal, but I could be wrong. Need to find another CDJ now

• 4 weeks later...

so uh, does anyone here play out on the regular? bento i see you doing your thing in japan. big ups.

anyone else? if there are enough real working djs on sufu, we should coordinate some kinda gig search. or at least so we can check each other out when we travel. i currently have 2 residencies and an internet radio show in the bay area.

dj math: brigidope | AZC

radio show: thursdays 3-5pm PST http://www.alldayplay.fm/azcradio (#note: we talk madd schitt. headphones at work status)

Hotline: tuesdays Otis in SF rnb/soul sets up at: mixcrate.com/hotlinesf

Stereo Sessions: Radio Bar Oakland 2nd Fri i play everything.

site: djbrigidope.com

site 2 electric boogaloo (and a work in progress): http://www.feelmygrooves.com/

twatme: @djbrigidope

• 4 weeks later...

Why don't you buy some CDJ 200's and decks??? remember technics are an investment you will only make money on them when you sell them

and djing with a laptop sucks... i look at a computer screen to much in the first place why on earth you want to use your eyes for something that requires your ears and feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden by crucialkc, December 27, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by crucialkc, December 27, 2011 - No reason given

Can anyone help identify this dude's setup (program, turntables, etc.)? This is exactly what I'm wanting, to be able to control digital with vinyl.. that way I have the option to play vinyl as well. Thanks in advance!

Edited by crucialkc
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been producing since 08 and recently started focusing on DJing.

Mostly make/dj techno and some house leaning towards the darker, rougher, uk and berlin sound.

Using macbook pro with ableton and a couple of midi controllers for making beats.

2x 1210s with shitty stanton cartridge and stylus and a A&H Xone22 mixer for djing.

Haven't played out yet but I know some people running clubs who are playing my tunes.

Really love mixing with vinyl and doing the analogue way, but fuck is it expensive in the long run. The strange thing is that I have no problem spending money on music, but when it comes to clothes I'm always hesitating.

• 1 month later...

269198_3872091768471_1466473352_n.jpg

"‎(2) Technics 1200 turntables with chrome covers, and Odyssey flight grade cases up for grabs."

should I scoop this up for $900? this will be my first set. still gotta get a mixer too.

pretty good price… well around average, if they are in good shape you will always be able to sell them for that much or more…. make sure the pitch is set right and see if its grounded and make sure the toner arms bearings are not messed up, i dunno how i feel about chrome tho :P

Edited by Walt Thizzney

ahh any advice on that? I'm not familiar with any of this. The only record players I've ever owned weren't the kind for DJing and I sold those a long time ago too so I don't know anything about vinyl really.

u need a special thing to measure that i forget whats that called sorry

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Meant to recond my set from Cielo on Nov 20th w/ Adam Port and &me but i played on cdjs and didnt feel like hooking a bunch of wires up so i recorded this at home.. deep, acid, sleazy, techno etc. just tracks im into. ill be back at cielo on the 14th of dec if anyone in the nyc area is down. also for the techno lovers ill be playing with Paul Ritch in brooklyn on dec 22nd.

https://soundcloud.c...vision-of-buttz

played 3 hour 45 minute super open format set for billionaires and the princess of monaco at Pangea last night. she requested AC/DC so I dropped shook me all night long and mixed it into SHM greyhound. crowd was out of control & many many bottles were popped. VIPs sent me 6 bottles of dom over the course of the set. twas glorious. i feel bad for whoever had to clean up.

next stop Hong Kong for the grand opening of Gala's on December 21st.

• 4 months later...

From Detroit moved to LA from Chicago only spin vinyl records I find in person with very few exceptions. When I was a kid growing up on WJLB and WBMX the idea of mixing seamless transitions of this new progressive hip hop type music puzzled me.. little did I know I'd grow up to DJ the very house and early electronic music I heard as a kid.

outerdrive330v2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So ive dusted off my 1200s, what do you guys suggest tractor/serrato ? for novice style.

Have little interest in purchasing new vinyl, just cant afford it, and my collection is so out of date, ide rather go the serrato route.

I am in a similar position and ended up buying traktor because it was cheaper than serato. No complaints so far, and it works out well for what I use it for.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/digital-vinyl/traktor-scratch-a6/