DJs?

• 6 months later...
I'm a serato user with 1200s but I fully recommended this S4 for a guy who wants an all in one DJ solution. Looks superior to the somewhat outdated VCI-100 and the competition, namely the VCI-300/ITCH combo, appears to suck unless you want to be a "mini turntablist" (no efx). Not sure about what you need to do to get your audio ready for use in Traktor but seems like a great plug and play solution.

+1 I'd also reccommend

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I won the Western Japan Threestyle Competition and finished 2nd in the nationwide Final with this routine. Hope the SuperFuturians like it:

http://soundcloud.com/djbento/dj-bento-live-2011-red-bull

you seem like a good enough DJ and probably live a fun life playing music for people in Japan, but ugh this shit is rife with cliches and encapsulates everything i hate about music played in clubs.

UGH fuck DJs for the most part, all these people seem to do is perpetuate the cycle of bad music getting played over and over again. how u gonna win a DJ competition in Japan and end your set with house of pain? that's seriously the same shit i could expect to hear at some empty club-bar hybrid on a tuesday night, today or 12 years ago. I don't give a fuck if you mixed it perfectly with jason derulo, i hate everything about it. I'm sure the club was full of zombies dancing away and flipping shit because they heard something familiar.

you seem like a good enough DJ and probably live a fun life playing music for people in Japan, but ugh this shit is rife with cliches and encapsulates everything i hate about music played in clubs.

UGH fuck DJs for the most part, all these people seem to do is perpetuate the cycle of bad music getting played over and over again. how u gonna win a DJ competition in Japan and end your set with house of pain? that's seriously the same shit i could expect to hear at some empty club-bar hybrid on a tuesday night, today or 12 years ago. I don't give a fuck if you mixed it perfectly with jason derulo, i hate everything about it. I'm sure the club was full of zombies dancing away and flipping shit because they heard something familiar.

The reason why DJing, for the most part (there are obviously some very notable exceptions) is a low art form is because the success of the act is based on its immediate, very superficial reception so much of the time. Playing that obnoxious clubby-post Diplo shit will get you a night at a club way faster than having a extensive knowledge of a genre.

Hey Destructo,

Thanks for checking it out. Totally respect your opinion on it. I recognize that I play a lot of familiar elements in my sets. That being said, the audience that I am playing for more often than not goes to a "hip hop" club that plays Pitbull into Black Eyed Peas into Katy Perry into Usher every single night. To be able to take those elements and recreate them into something that is palatable, exciting, and fun for everyone in the room is my aim and generally I am pretty successful at doing so at my gigs.

Here's me tearing through like 8 electro and house records at a set in Tokyo. No House of Pain in sight ;) Let me know what you think:

ToOQOL6YOkw

The reason why DJing, for the most part (there are obviously some very notable exceptions) is a low art form is because the success of the act is based on its immediate, very superficial reception so much of the time. Playing that obnoxious clubby-post Diplo shit will get you a night at a club way faster than having a extensive knowledge of a genre.

This sounds like the rationale that results in a parties with a lot of dudes who believe are more knowledgable/enthusiastic about a genre than everyone else in the room and pretty much no girls. see Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Minimal Techno

I generally play for bottle service clubs with patrons are not super adventurous outside of their Top 40 world. They've never been to a warehouse party or Ibiza and pronounce Deadmau5 as "Deadmao." Getting hot chicks to go buck wild to Bloody Beetroots or a hard dubstep beat in my set requires that I work in and out of more accessible commercial sounds.

This sounds like the rationale that results in a parties with a lot of dudes who believe are more knowledgable/enthusiastic about a genre than everyone else in the room and pretty much no girls. see Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Minimal Techno

I generally play for bottle service clubs with patrons are not super adventurous outside of their Top 40 world. They've never been to a warehouse party or Ibiza and pronounce Deadmau5 as "Deadmao." Getting hot chicks to go buck wild to Bloody Beetroots or a hard dubstep beat in my set requires that I work in and out of more accessible commercial sounds.

Here in Toronto, actually, there is a very popular Dubstep night that reaches capacity early and is full of CWGs. Drum and Bass, and minimal techno fills warehouses in Europe, still, I'm pretty sure.

Regardless, I don't mean musical knowledge as in posterity (are there even music nerds who still shun pop music?). Rather, it's a matter of finding good obscure music that people don't hear everywhere they go.

Yet I appreciate that you do what you do, and do it well, and there is a place for that. At the same time, I can't really respect it beyond that.

Honestly, I'm pretty bored of playing to the crowd so that people know what they are hearing and I don't even DJ very much anymore. How do you keep up your interest? Do you legitimately like LMFAO?

Here in Toronto, actually, there is a very popular Dubstep night that reaches capacity early and is full of CWGs. Drum and Bass, and minimal techno fills warehouses in Europe, still, I'm pretty sure.

Regardless, I don't mean musical knowledge as in posterity (are there even music nerds who still shun pop music?). Rather, it's a matter of finding good obscure music that people don't hear everywhere they go.

Yet I appreciate that you do what you do, and do it well, and there is a place for that. At the same time, I can't really respect it beyond that.

Honestly, I'm pretty bored of playing to the crowd so that people know what they are hearing and I don't even DJ very much anymore. How do you keep up your interest? Do you legitimately like LMFAO?

@hocus pocus

Definitely hear you. While I don't like a lot of the pop music that has taken over the "hip hop" clubs and the bottle service spots, I guess the part I enjoy is trying to recreate it and layer it over harder beats or use it in conjunction with nostalgic elements from all genres. I'm not going to buy an LMFAO record any time soon but I definitely will use the build of one of their songs to get the CWG/KAG's jumping and then take that inertia and drop into something harder.

ps. i'd love to go to a dope dubstep party that wasn't a bro fest. i guess I moved to JPN before dubstep crossed over into the land of CWG/CSGs :)

@Midnight Maruaders Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, what DJs do you like?

Dj Krush, Gaslamp Killer, D-Styles, Booka Shade, DJ Shadow, Magnetic Man, Hudson Mohawke, Style of Eye, Jamie XX.

most of them are artists in their own right but they all do some amazing sets too.

word. great list. definitely can't quarrel with anyone on it. particular nod to shadow who is amazing live. does jamie XX play live on an APC?

db

No, this has a lot more to do with Japan than anything else, although Tokyo & Osaka have tons of clubs, the actual house/techno scene is shit, because most nights are filled with djs like you dropping rihanna mash-ups, and for the most part that's what people want.

Also, the sentiment that you have to play shit mainstream music to attract a good evenly-divided gender crowd is absolutely retarded, you obviously have an incredibly small scope of the EDM world, and should go educate yourself and go to a city with a real scene one time like Berlin or London.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to teach myself how to DJ. What sort of mixer is a good one to start with for a beginner? Also, what sort of program is best to start with for beginners-- Ableton??

just get a 2 channel-mixer, but stay away from behringer. if you use ableton you wont learn how to dj b/c it'll do everything for you once the track is warped.

it all depends if you want to learn on cdjs/turntables or just dj w/ software.