DJs?

i use the Hercules RMX for traktor/ableton, it has a built-in soundcard to monitor/cue, jog wheels, all your knobs/faders and runs 200+ less than the torq + vestax, vestax also makes a smaller controller that might be cheaper, can't think of the name off-hand but i think it's more geared towards laptop djs

how do you like it and how fast did you adapt to it?

I'm a total dj noob so I may not be the best person to ask but I'm liking it so far. Some of the default mappings are pretty useless but you can always remap to your liking. If you're used to a standard mixer you may find the layout a little counterintuitive since everything is in groups of 8, so you're not going to have a neat row of 3 bass/mid/high knobs. If you're used to working in ableton and making your own effects racks you'll probably adapt quickly

love that 800. i think someone was selling one in the marketplace a couple of weeks ago. if i didn't love my '05 so much, i would probably upgrade to that. i would even settle with one of the older versions.

I has a DJM700 that I'm selling, PM me if you're interested.

Anyways, here is a mix I threw together today:

CBLVSN Spring/Summer Collection 2010.

Stream:

http://soundcloud.com/cblvsn/s-s-10

Download:

http://soundcloud.com/cblvsn/s-s-10/download

1) Cloverleaf Days - Bon & Rau

2) Elden St (Sebo K Watergate Edit) - Martyn

3) Flow Figure - Tama Sumo and Prosumer

4) Brothers & Sisters (Poodle Dub) - Bon & Rau

5) Take 1 (Saxophone) - Others Aka Bruno Pronsato & Daze Maxim

6) For You (Real Raw Remix By Jus Ed) - Cassy

7) M5B - Maurizio

8) Under The Radar (Ricardo Villalobos Mix) - Mike Shannon

9) Rarified - Tama Sumo and Prosumer

10) Space - Jichael Mackson

11) I Really - Sandrien

12) November Girl (Martin Landsky's A&H Mix) - Steve Bug

What hardware do you need exactly for a DVS?

Laptop

Mixer

Turntables

Control Vinyl

Soundcard

Anything else? Could all this stuff (besides the laptop) be purchased for under a g? Would I be disappointed with all the hardware if I spent less than a g on it?

^get a vci-300 and vfx-1. you can get them used for less than 1k or new for slightly over 1k. I just got my analog turntables back yesterday from my friend after having used the vci for 6 months, and i much prefer the vci.

still though, you should learn how to use analog turntables.

I never really liked the m5g, something about the pitch fader that doesnt do it for me. Prefer a plain old MK2.

the +8/+16 is really nice to have sometimes though. Only pain is when someone inevitably spills a drink on or around the button that toggles between them which is what happened to weidna's. We've definitely stood there smashing that little button for minutes on end during sets only to have it finally switch seconds after giving it up. Awesome decks though for sure but anything technic's will do

• 1 month later...
thoughts? seems like a fun toy

G1EVo8v3OG8

I'm a serato user with 1200s but I fully recommended this S4 for a guy who wants an all in one DJ solution. Looks superior to the somewhat outdated VCI-100 and the competition, namely the VCI-300/ITCH combo, appears to suck unless you want to be a "mini turntablist" (no efx). Not sure about what you need to do to get your audio ready for use in Traktor but seems like a great plug and play solution.