Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

How old is the water heater? Any signs of discolored water anywhere else in the house, especially at plumbing fixtures that don't get used often? What was washed in the machine before you washed your jeans, and did you wash the jeans inside out? Is it possible there was some residual substance in the machine from a previous wash that stained your jeans? Every obvious variable has to be ruled out... Otherwise I have no idea. Very strange... :huh:

The washin machine is immaculate. I washed a load of white tshirts on cold before. I did a load of towels after. I have a tankless water heater so no worries there. I have no idea what happened. All I know is that I'm gonna have to pick up a new pair of jeans during Self Edge's black friday sale as I only have a single pair of black IHs now.

I would try Felsnaptha soap, it gets any stain out I've used it on when used as a spot treatment. Leaves no damage to clothing what so ever, very cheap.

There is a thread on the Iron Heart forum that got popular, a user explains how he washes his denim with it in great detail. 

On 11/20/2018 at 11:50 PM, mpukas said:

My first thoughts/questions are: what type of residence do you live in, what type of utilities do you have, and what type of washing machine do you have? Have you seen anything similar in any other clothes being washed in the same appliance? Reasons are those could be rust stains. To me it's unlikely mold/mildew could develop to that degree, that quickly. Unless there's a more serious underlying mold problem in the residence. If you have a water heater in your residence, have you checked it? If a water heater is on it's way out, it will put out rusty, discolored water. But that would only affect the hot water lines, not cold. Is it possible that plumbing in the residence has rusty infrastructure? Is it possible that any municipal water lines coming into the residence are rusty? 

I've had experience with rust stains on clothes before (many, many years ago; college years, at a laundromat). They are difficult to get out; had to use some sort of toxic solution, but clothes weren't ruined. 

Other thoughts are: how long since last wash? Any exposure to some odd/strange substance that got on your jeans? That may have had some sort of reaction to cleaning agent. 

Oxiclean makes a stain removal product, it's not detergent. It works on oxygen molecules bonding to stains. It's sold in a small container, powder form. Mix in a bucket/sink of water and soak clothes for 1 hr. Has worked very well for me, especially summer shoes made of fabric. But I've not tried it on jeans, so I can't say that it would work to get stains out or that there wouldn't be any adverse affects. 

@mpukas This is a most thorough & informed response.

@harorld Its strange that the brown color would have bled through to the inside rather than appearing more on the outer surface of the fabric. That sounds more like the brown material made contact directly on this side rather than bled through. Is it dispersed equally throughout the inner fabric? Any photos?

My first thought is rust also, and the oxiclean would have compounded this problem. 

If it is rust then a white vinegar treatment is probably the best thing for removal. Keep the pants inside out and pour white vinegar onto the stains, you can lightly scrub with a brush, then rinse and Air dry in direct sun. 

In the future, if you have concerns with mold/mildew on fabric, then a vinegar solution is usually a better option than Oxy.

5 hours ago, oomslokop said:

even if you cant get the stains out, jeans look great!

I missed the link to the photos until your post.

Fully agree that fade is killer.

The brown staining is really interesting. I had similar occur when I was bleeding on leg and it had a chance to dry before laundering. The iron in the blood actually oxidized like rust.

No chance something splashed on these prior to washing or they were laid down on something? 

You could try vinegar on the pocket bag to see if it aids removal of the brown stain without risk of discoloring the indigo...just a thought.

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Smallrod said:

@harold after looking at your pictures, it looks like it may be from your patch...maybe breaking down some how?  It looks like there is a lot of staining behind your patch in the first picture?  

Excellent deduction.

The tannins from the leather patch.

Vinegar (acetic acid) with very hot water or steam used to be a good remover of tannins from coffee, tea or wine but I think you can find a specific detergent for a tannin stain today that is superior.

Edited by Pedro

did you treat your leather patch?
do you wear a belt under the patch?

looks like initial treatment of the patch and/or the successive treatment of it migrated via the threads that fix the patch onto/into the denim.
the shadow on the lower leg also seem to stem from the patch - maybe from folded storage where it touches the patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd give u a small update on my experiment overdying the 634Ns I got.
IMG-20181217-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.ad5a8617ee19efd0693a6bebb708fe43.jpeg

Before, obviously.
and inside out hang-drying and blackening my shower:
IMG-20181217-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.eafb128ccae4f6a7769713c0e9be385f.jpeg

I'll try to give updates as soon as they're dry, still have to figure out, if I should give them a wash before wearing them or not.

Final update:
Leather patch came out really interesting, denim came out superstiff and shrank a bit.
They really are a pain in the arse to button up, let's hope they'll loosen up a little bit or I'll have to go on a diet.
All in all, until now I'm satisfied, let's see how they'll age.

IMG_20181218_202133.jpg

IMG_20181218_202202.jpg

IH posted a sample of a Type I in their black X beige denim. I'm quite excited about that. I love the fabric and it pairs well with indigo jeans. I used to wear a black Levi's trucker jacket when I was a kid...

Now, here's hopping they don't tweak the measurements too much...

Edited by JDelage

9 hours ago, JDelage said:

IH posted a sample of a Type I in their black X beige denim. I'm quite excited about that. I love the fab pic and it pairs well with indigo jeans. I used to wear a black Levi's trucker jacket when I was a kid...

Now, here's hopping they don't tweak the measurements too much...

You mean an overall length of 30-ish with 28 inch sleeves??

Seems to be their common theme unfortunately.

shameless... selling IH 634S-18_34, IHSH-13_XXL BLACK & BLUE. All are too big for me; 634s-18 are brand new, never worn; shirts not worn more than 6-8 times each. I have my eye on new IH products coming soon...  

Bought a pair of the yenim 666-s about a year ago and am a little disappointed.  It's my first pair of Iron Heart and I was expecting them to shed indigo a lot faster than they have been. I also notice the crotch is a bit tight, so It's definitely going to blow out before these age a ton. Maybe it's due to the materials used for this iteration, but seeing if anyone has had a similar experience this this specific jean or cut in general.

All IH denim fade at different rates. In my experience: UHR sheds indigo faster than any denim I've owned; 21oz and XHS are "average". Their 17oz Natural Indigo is supposed to be very stubborn, but after many months will all of a sudden fade quick. I can't comment on the yenim denim tho... how much actual wear time do you have on them? Post some pics! 

I bought them fall 2017 and didn't really wear them that much because they shed a lot onto my shoes. I also didn't love the cut so I got them tapered by a very good denim shop in my neighborhood. Up until Sept. 2018 I probably wore them for a total of 30-50 days, but since then I wear them every day. I've already had to get the front crotch repaired / reinforced, and I see the back crotch blowing out soon. I'll post pictures this weekend!

21 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

I found the UHR-denim to fade quite fast, don't have experience with the other ones, though.

Absolutely. This is my experience with the IH 1955 UHR, super heavy but really comfy, perfect denim for this time of the year.