Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

Just bought some Iron Heart 777S-14 and I'm not sure if they fit correctly. I tried the 32 originally and they were a little tight in the top block but good in the thighs, I couldn't do up the top button. I bought the 33 which felt a lot better initially but now they feel a little loose. I'm worried if they stretch they'll be too big as they are pretty much perfect right now. Very comfortable. Thoughts?

The waist is the only measurement that will stretch significantly, if you couldn't even button the top button on the 32's and only sized up one to 33, I can't imagine that those will end up too big. Do you know what the actual waist measurement was before you started wearing them?

Max, love the color of the IH-154 -- was thinking about that one too.  It does look a little long in the sleeves.  While washing will help, you probably don't want to it come up in the body.

Yes, the sleeves are really Long, but I talked to an owner of the same fabric int he western cut - there's still a fair bit of shrinkage to be expected in the body and sleeves, which will make it a lot better. It also drapes a lot better when creases have settled, plus the cuff can be easily, well, cuffed.

Just bought another two t-shirts and a shirt from Iron Heart...I fucking love their clothing, feels so good and high quality. I will probably have most of their flannel shirts by end of year haha

They changed arm length did they? hmm. Glad Rivet & Hide stock Iron Heart so I can try before I buy. The shirt I just bought I got from Iron Heart website because it was on sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Great shot Flo!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I'm new to the forum and new to Iron Heart, so I figured those of you most experienced with the brand could help me out in this particular situation. 

My most recent acquisition is a pair of Iron Heart 17oz Natural Indigo slim fit (301N) size 30 that I picked up from Self Edge in San Francisco. This is my first foray both into Iron Heart and into denim that exceeds 14oz in weight. I love them, or should I say, I really really want to love them. The issue is that I'm afraid they might be too tight in the waist.

Of my 3 other pairs of raw denim that I have broken in/am still breaking in, they've each started at around 31.5in and come out to about 33in, which is just the tiniest bit too loose, not very noticeable at all to people looking, and usually fine with a belt.

When I got this pair, they measured 31 inches in the waist. They were pretty tight, but I could still button them all the way up (I tried them on in store). I've put a good 30 wears or so into them so far, and they've come out a full inch to 32in. They've definitely loosened up a bit and no longer leave giant marks on my waist after wearing, but they still feel too tight. If I could get them to come out just half an inch more I'm sure that they would be perfect.

Will these come out any more than the inch that they already have? Or would I just be making myself endure unnecessary pain?

I'm aware that this denim is relatively new to the brand (I think?) and doesn't have the same properties as their standard 21oz denim, so I doubt that I'll be getting a super-definitive answer. I really hope that I can keep wearing these in, but if it's a lost cause I'd like to know now so I can cut my losses as much as I can. Any advice would be much appreciated  :)

Edited by jazzcat

I'm not familiar with the 17oz, but I have a few different IH denims -- 14oz, 21oz, 23oz, and 25oz. I've been able to get 1.5" - 2" stretch in the waist on all of them with wear. Have you tried soaking the waist and then wearing them damp? I've also seen jeans stretchers advertised that are made to stretch the waist on a pair of jeans, if you love everything else about the fit it may be worth the small investment (it would probably cost you less than the hit you'd take reselling the jeans and buying a new pair).

The 17oz denim is one-wash I believe. They fit perfectly everywhere else. The hip and thigh fit the same as the other slim pairs that I own (for reference: TS slim and 3sixteen 100xk and 120xk), and have an excellent amount of tapering that suits my super-thin legs. I'm pretty sure that if I size up in this cut it will be too wide for me in the knee and/or leg opening and end up looking sloppy.    

I have a few different IH denims -- 14oz, 21oz, 23oz, and 25oz. I've been able to get 1.5" - 2" stretch in the waist on all of them with wear. 

^^ This definitely makes me more optimistic, some other people I've talked to have told me that IH take a lot longer than the usual month to fully stretch/break in. Maybe I just need to keep at it day after day. Then again, the waistband stretcher and/or partial soak might be a good idea if I'm feeling particularly impatient.

I appreciate all the pointers guys, thanks a bunch. 

Edited by jazzcat