Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

It feels nice, but IMO there are plenty of more interesting options in the 14 oz range. I think it's closer to 18 oz as it is not as soft and loosely woven and should fade with higher contrast than the 21 oz.

ohhh ic, plenty of choice from other brands right

thanks a lot!

I've got two pairs of brand new unworn size 32 for sale:

634S Raw - USD $350 (retail $425)
666N - USD $245 (retail $295)

Delivery included. PM me if you're interested.

I was very ambitious thinking I could fit these!

Edited by hemi

Still among my top 3 IH items.

There is a section of Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels where they talk about wearing jeans until they are falling apart and then wearing their old jeans over their new pair. This is what cause me as a teenage punk to start religiously wearing Levi's jeans and never washing. Later on I found raw denim jeans and although I know the damage not washing does to really expensive jeans I still can't bring myself to do more than a soak. I play with the idea of hand washing sometimes. Anyway, my point is that this IH vest will be trophy for years to come. 

IH-8301s SBG with a few days shy of 250 wear days in a row- no washes, two soaks in the beginning. And the IH-9526v after a week of being worn every moment not sleeping or in the shower. Going to retire these jeans soon for the summer in Portland and some major crotch/minor knee repairs.

tumblr_o8g462hlhD1vshq7zo1_1280.jpg

Edited by davidwirey

• 2 weeks later...

any thought on the 14 oz denim?? after i read the IH's forum, i still doesnt get the characteristic

is it closer to 18 or 21?

thanks!

It feels nice, but IMO there are plenty of more interesting options in the 14 oz range. I think it's closer to 18 oz as it is not as soft and loosely woven and should fade with higher contrast than the 21 oz.

I would say the 14 oz is closer to the 21 oz in some ways, and the 18 oz in others. I just picked up a pair of 14 oz 666's, and I think the denim is fantastic. From what I'm experiencing so far, it has the softness and "stretchiness" of the 21 oz -- the weave is a bit tighter, but not nearly as tight as the 18 oz (from what I understand anyway, I don't own the 18 oz denim), but it has a lot more character than the 21 oz, and a richer, bluer indigo which makes it more like the 18 oz. I'm betting it's going to fade similarly to the 18 oz as well. It also feels quite a bit heavier than 14 oz. I have a pair of 13.5 oz Japanese selvage Nudies that feel much lighter than this 14 oz does. It feels more like 16-17 oz to me.

Here are my 8301s jeans just before their first wash. 251 wears....they're headed in for repairs on the crotch and cuffs this week but I think I may leave the knees for awhile. I was going to put them on rotation but I decided I can't abandon them after all. We are going straight through until 365 and we will reassess then. Getting a rad angle with an iPhone is not an easy task and I am no photographer.

tumblr_o95qyfvUNp1vshq7zo1_1280.jpg

Edited by davidwirey

Here are my 8301s jeans just before their first wash. 251 wears....they're headed in for repairs on the crotch and cuffs this week but I think I may leave the knees for awhile. I was going to put them on rotation but I decided I can't abandon them after all. We are going straight through until 365 and we will reassess then. Getting a rad angel with an iPhone is not an easy task and I am no photographer.

Looking great!!! Any pre wash back side shot for comparision planned?

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak

Wow really awesome denim evo seen here.

Thanks for incredible updates!!!!

Davidwirey!!!

Hello, again - just wanted to share a few pics of my heavyweight western flannel I picked up from SELA a few months back. As it's very warm in LA right now, I sadly do not have much use for it, but it was great when I was up in the mountains a couple weeks back, before the heatwave! 

ctkOnRZ.jpg

eAfu9UN.jpg

eeNvLPk.jpg

ops84i4.jpg

Lcnq047.jpg

npOAWBJ.jpg

ipQaAwE.jpg

xFI2Glz.jpg

l1C586h.jpg

The waist will stretch PLENTY. All is not lost.

Really? I can only get half the buttons buttoned up and the top two is where the real struggle is at. I feel like i would break something before I can get all the buttons buttoned up. I think I would need about 2-3 inches of stretch. Any tips?

I have a pair of pair of jeans that I was told to buy 1-2 sizes smaller. I tried on a 35, but was told if I could get in a 34, I should get that. It took three weeks of hell to stretch them out 3/4"....If I could not even button them up, no fricken way would I even try to stretch them.

For the iron heart flannel shirts, is there a specific reason why it says to wear as long as possible without washing?

Also if anyone washes it with their other clothes in machine?

I ask, because I usually wear a vest under my flannel shirts (uniqlo) rather than a t-shirt, if it gets a bit sweaty then I wash after wearing once. I got my first iron heart flannel shirt the other week, so am wondering...

If you need 2-3 Inch more in the waist, the cut or size is clearly not for you. Sorry.

That is what I was thinking also....but they are one-washed. They fit perfectly everywhere but the waist. 

Perhaps try buttoning them up fully, soaking the top block and trying to stretch the waist out (by hand or with some other implement) while it's still damp.

I would do this but I risk the option of returning if it doesn't work out for me. 

If anyone sees a pair in a size 29/30, please let me know!

"That is what I was thinking also....but they are one-washed. They fit perfectly everywhere but the waist."

They are to small mate, let them go!

For the iron heart flannel shirts, is there a specific reason why it says to wear as long as possible without washing?

I ask, because I usually wear a vest under my flannel shirts (uniqlo) rather than a t-shirt, if it gets a bit sweaty then I wash after wearing once. I got my first iron heart flannel shirt the other week, so am wondering...

Iron Heart print that inside all their shirts, if it's sweaty it's still getting washed after one wear. Try wearing a tshirt underneath. I wash my flannels separately.

That is what I was thinking also....but they are one-washed. They fit perfectly everywhere but the waist. 

I would do this but I risk the option of returning if it doesn't work out for me. 

If anyone sees a pair in a size 29/30, please let me know!

Life is too short for poorly fitting jeans (so I'd return them).  However, if what you say is true, and it is absolutely the waist, you could always try out this: waist expander.  I have one and use it for maintaining waist size on subsequent washes (I don't play the shrink-and-expand game).  The one thing is that if it's too tight beyond the top-most button (e.g. second-from-the-top), this won't work, because placing it any lower results in a very weird stretching pattern (I tried it once as a last-ditch attempt to save a pair of jeans I outgrew and it did NOT work out right).

Good luck!

That is printed on all their shirts so think it applies to denim more than flannel. Wouldn't worry about the flannels mine have been washed loads. Yes they will lose a bit of colour and if it's UHF they do shrink.