Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

^ hot damn! Great Job with those INDOs. Mine aren't as far along as that, but they are on their way.

SExIH07B

2 Yrs (of actual wear)

3-4 x Washed

SExIH07B(1).jpg

SExIH07B(2).jpg

SExIH07B(3).jpg

SExIH07B(4).jpg

P.S. Ever wonder why the self edge collabs turn out so good? It's because the shit gets worn!

Edited by Al6ert

Iron Heart stuff is insanely well-made. It may not translate exactly into "character" (whatever that is) but they are damn nice jeans.

I even think the classic 21oz is among my top 3 favorite denims of all time. A lot of people think its kind of boring but honestly, it always looks so natural.

In my opinion the price for almost everything sold by European retailers is unacceptable. But that's another story...

They suffer crotch blowouts because the denim is heavier in my opinion. More bulk down there = more friction. I think it's bearable though, because the feel of broken in 21 oz is magical.

What is charcter at all?

IHs denims look all pretty clean and regular, even the socalled slubby 18 oz. But I don't think that alone shows the potential of denim. To me, it's all about the fades and construction.

Having touched the 19 oz LHT - it is unique. Alone that there is a raw 19 oz LHT that feels thick and stiff as fuck is unique. Looking at all the fades and marbles of the old 23 oz denim, you can't say it lacks a special touch.

On the other hand, the 21 oz denim is very regular and clean and I don't like the way it fades. And the fact that it's sanforized and treated to fade slower. But then, there are incredibly many that praise that denim above all others...

(I can't say, I noticed many crotch blowouts on IHs, by the way).

Edited by Max Power

I get your point and share the fanatism issue. But, to be fair, the quality of IH is up to the other big brands and they are widely available in europe and northern america. That and good customer service made them big and formed a huge fanbase.

And brands that are popular attract new forum members - same goes for the Samurai 710 and PBJ 007. But if you manage to see and judge just the products and let the so-called hype aside, IH remains an interesting brand, cause they do things a bit different than the usual repro brands. And I like that, even if I find other denims more appealing.

Max makes some good points but there's one more thing that I think should be mentioned. I too have noticed that Iron Heart seems to be the go-to for newbies, hell it was the first brand I got into as well! I think this is the case because when you're starting to part with this much money for clothing you want to see where it's going. With IH, it's clear: you are paying for something that feels way better built, and WAY heavier duty than anything you've felt. I think it'd be more difficult to get into brands like Roy (coming from mall-brands that is), because when you pay for his things you're paying for awesome old machines, his one-man workshop, etc. Roy is equally as awesome as IH (and many other brands as well) but again I think that IH is the first one to go to because you don't have to think hard where you're money is going when you pick up a pair of some heavyass and meticulously-made denim.

For me, after this I took a leap on other brands like Flat Head, Roy, MFSC, because those on here that shared an interest in clothing spoke highly of them and I had a little more experience to appreciate what clothing could be. Damn that was a mouthful but it's been on my mind for a while. Hopefully it made sense!

Edited by itsbenhere

I have little interest in IH this is my first post in the thread, But i am an IH owner as hoggy says above. I needed some comfortable, well made, heavy/warm, hard wearing winter work jeans. The 634 fit this requisite perfectly. I dont give a crap about how they fade nobody see's them i work on my own 95% of the time.

I also buy other denim that i do have a keen interest/obsession in but for completely different reasons. My IH are not an alternative to these they simply have a different role to play.

After 12 months wear they did look very good.

i love iron heart, especially their jackets. but its far from my favourite brand. the thing i like the most about iron heart is not necessarily the product, but the fact that its very accessible to a european customer through ih uk and also the entire community and the ridiculously good customer service. a fine business model indeed!

IH's quality is there (but any better than the other JP brands?) but it all looks a bit dull really. Can achieve the same look by wandering through GAP or H&M if one wanted to. I just don't see many people on the internet wearing it and looking like they know how to dress well. That said, if I'd had the cash at the time, I would have bought a pair of the raw 634s.  

It's fair enough if the aesthetics of IH aren't your bag. The style is certainly more modern and won't necessarily appeal to those to have come to high-end denim through an interest in repro/vintage clothing. I disagree entirely that you could achieve the same look by shopping at Gap or H&M. From a distance, these are simple designs, but the beauty is in the detail and the nuances of the fabric. This isn't necessarily obvious when viewing on the internet.

What is important to point out is that Haraki-san is coming at denim and textile production from an entirely different angle to his contemporaries at The Flat Head, Warehouse, McCoys etc who are deconstructing old garments and using vintage machinery to manufacture their goods. The core IH line is made with motorcycle enthusiasts in mind and IH build the toughest gear for that very purpose. I mean, Haraki came out with a new waterproof jacket and literally road-tested the thing by riding down the coast of Japan. 

I wore IH's 21oz denim for a year and was impressed with the fading but equally important is that they are a pleasure to wear right from the beginning, which can't always be said for heavy weight denim. They are supremely comfortable, very well-cut and the construction is stronger than other brands, owing to the purpose for which they're made. With regards to crotch blowouts, if you don't wash your jeans enough and your legs rub together it's going to happen regardless of who makes your jeans!

^great points made.

Regarding the "well dressed"-fact:

Like I worte above, IH is not a history influenced repro brand, like FH (50s), Rising Sun or Mr. Freedom (20-30s or something similar to that).

Of course the latter brands are known for way more spaced out designs- but that's just a different aesthetic. I personally find that very few can wear stuff like that and look authentic.

I am 100% sure (and unfortunately aware) that I don't look fashionable or well dressed when I wear sneakers, worn in jeans and for example my favorite Iron Heart Herringbone. But I have a very well crafted fabric that will last me a long time, a great fit and a special touch that only few may notice. But that's the way I like it and IH is one brand that fits that style.

And do these fabrics look like H&M? IH has some details you will only notice if you look close...One thing I love about them.

IMG_5503.jpg

DSC00073_zpscda66c0a.jpg

bild021jk.jpg

4elb.jpg

14908347.3674e2cc.1024.jpg

5cj8.jpg

bild280d.jpg

Edited by Max Power

Iron Heart obviously makes some very high-quality products (though I can't recall ever handling them in person) and they're a good brand.  But I think it's pretty clear why they're one of the top three most popular Japanese brands among non-Japanese denim enthusiasts.

Iron Heart is amazingly well marketed.  They have an excellent English website with great photography, detailed product descriptions, measurements, and an online shop (don't underestimate the influence that can have.)  And of course the forum is more effective at reaching people than a thousand magazine advertisements ever would.  Giles "gets" how to promote a brand in the digital age, twentysomething guys care more about the opinions and experiences of real people than deceptive ads.  Over the past few years they've built up a very strong mystique for themselves through their online presence and in a lot of people's minds, they make the "best" Japanese jeans and other clothes, and probably kicked off the whole heavyweight denim boom on SuFu, etc.  Also, their clothes are sized like Western sizes, not Japanese; seems like there are a lot of bigger guys wearing IH.

The funny thing is that Iron Heart has a completely different image inside of Japan, they mostly advertise in biker magazines rather than Amekaji fashion magazines, and seem to market themselves to bikers more than appealing to their durability, as outside Japan.  A lot of their jeans sold on IHUK aren't even available in Japan, ironically enough. 

I don't know, I've known about IH from the beginning of my Japanese denim adventures but nothing's ever really drawn me to the brand.  I've always been more attracted to the adventurous and flavorful offerings of brands like Flat Head, Samurai, Strike Gold, and Pure Blue Japan, which have a little bit wilder flair to their styling.  Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd seen Babyknight's WAYWT pictures two years ago.

i have a pair of the 634's and I like them, but they are not the most interesting denim I own and I have been struggling to stay interested in them.  I have a few shirts and they are phenomenal  but they are very over priced in my opinion.  I have no problem paying the cash.  Im not a cheapskate at heart.  But I do like to weigh my options, and there really is nothing that exciting about the few shirts that I own fabric or construction-wise.  They are just well made shirts, no more no less.  as I get older, I pay more attention to the details and nuances of the fabrics, and IH just kind of drops the ball in that department.  

and yes, they are marketed very well.

Edited by garden gnomes in space