Levi's RED

Charlie Delta

DSC_0303.jpg

some green thread can be seen, seems its definately got green selvedge.

I just realised as well it could be Doshaburi, are they the only shop in the area that stocks vintage levis? If yes then that should be it, although the shop interior looks somewhat different, maybe they have redone it afterall its been some time. I do remember the brick arches and there's a small square outside the shop?

would love to see your 1st giants!

That's selvage for sure! The edge of the fabric is woven back into itself at the edge and is self-terminating (not serged together.) Otherwise, it would have thread sewn looping around the edge to hold it together (which it probably does higher up on the leg where the seam twists.) It just doesn't look like many selvage edges usually done on denim, because they usually come with white strips at the edges where the coloured thread is woven.

thanks crackerhead for the insight. I had a feeling they were some limited editions. I must have bought them around 2000, from a shop in the Barri Gothic area in Barcelona whose name just escapes me.

I added a pic showing the inside seam, no green selvedge.

As for fit pics, they don't fit me now that I have lost much weight (they are tagged 34). I really liked them a lot back then. If I can find old fit pics I'll post up.

I think that store was called blugenes and overalles. My spelling might be off, but that was a kick ass store..

I've got about 6 or so pairs of Levis Red's I just sent to my mom's house for storage. I'll have to go over the and snap pic's of everything. They will probably be up in the supermarket soon too...

As promised, here are some pics of the 1st Giant jeans from the first 1999 season.

The green cast selvage denim is a 60% cotton, 40% hemp blend and has beautiful slubs and is a bit nubbly thanks to the weft being hemp. These have only seen water once, as I soaked them when I first got them to shrink them down a bit. They're super soft, and the draping is excellent. The one back pocket is internal, and can only be accessed through the inside of the pants.

DSCF3212.jpg

DSCF3205.jpg

And here's a better pic of the selvage, for Ninja

DSCF3216.jpg

DSCF3222.jpg

I had a pair of these that I sold on Supermarket a long, long time ago...

http://levis.wear.jp/item.asp?item_dat_id=5834

...They were made from 10 pieces of denim if I recall...and they were really dark and super-soft..nice and slubby...with a brownish/gold weft....weird jeans indeed...I wonder what became of them

Heres some more Levis Red:

http://levis.wear.jp/LER/

I just went through my storage at my parents house and snapped some quick pics of some Levis red's.... When I have time I will post better pics measurements for the supermarket. (all should be Size 30)P1060174.jpg

P1060175.jpgP1060176.jpgP1060177.jpgP1060178.jpg

Edit: this pair is from the RedLoop collection^P1060179.jpg

The Jacket Trench is brand new and been in storage for a bit.P1060180.jpg

Nope, that's redloop, not Levi's RED, hence the red belt loop at the right.

that's right Redloop.... I wasn't sure what the difference was bet. the two lines besides the redloop thing.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought I would just share some pics of my other pair of levis red

Slim Guys Sunday Prest from aw05

2066320278_9df3fee57c_o.jpg

front (out seam is positioned towards the front of the leg)

2066321076_a46ec90251_o.jpg

back (note the thick hem at the bottom)

2066320004_16ee7da10d_o.jpg

back pockets, large and sits low with exaggerated arcuate

2066319772_357451fdf1_o.jpg

red label with cursive R (only for this Red collection)

2066319480_c030c33d06_o.jpg

slit pockets

2065521491_b8a41ca3a6_o.jpg

top button is made from mother-of-pearl set in copper

2066321268_9f3d28ddfb_o.jpg

copper buttons and wrapped seams

What I like about Levis Red besides the innnovative cuts and great fabrics (denim purists might disagree), is the amount of details in each pair and consistent throughout each collection. I also enjoy how they try to push the idea of what defines a pair of jeans every season, while at the same time grounded in the heritage of levis jeans.

20070610_fcbb16f983d86ddd2f82FrXIYdjJYpWy.jpg20070610_da589f763cfa13f579a8HfkPGqHLR8PR.jpg

my white version

30*32

but no back rivet,strange

• 7 months later...
Has anyone seen the new collection yet? They just put up some pieces from it at www.oki-ni.com

I find this season's design aesthetic intensely interesting. Reminds me of their Fall 2003 workwear collection on crack.

lrd0021blu_L4.jpg

this "sewn-wrong" quality is what drew me at first to iron army, but levi's does it without the hipsterism. and even wilder.

can someone run through the relationship between EU levi's red vs japanese red?

Has anyone seen the new collection yet? They just put up some pieces from it at www.oki-ni.com

I find this season's design aesthetic intensely interesting. Reminds me of their Fall 2003 workwear collection on crack.

lrd0021blu_L4.jpg

Thanks for posting, was looking for better pictures of this.

Reminds me of the now "banned" Sugarcane arcuates if anything....

• 1 month later...
Beat you to it, Paul. Here's a pair I used to have, that I sold recently. It was a girl's straight cut:

DSCF2192.jpgDSCF2191.jpgDSCF2194.jpg

And an ass shot from a lookbook I own.

DSCF2781.jpg

True Religion really destroyed some of the design elements from this season when they totally ripped off the look Levi's RED pioneered.

they really need to reissue these as NON TYPE 1

Tweeds: Just wait for the current collection to become fully available. I've heard from Dejan at Cultizm that the 1st Standard and 1st Giant are being reissued for this collection, and will have hemp denim, like the 1st season originals! I haven't seen them yet to compare them to the originals, but I'm both optimistic and skeptical.

Horriblyjollyjinx: YES! Post, post, post, please.

I just got these jeans from the last collection to use as my daily-driver and break in. So far, they've sculpted amazingly, and the waist is super-high for a skinny jean, just like I like it. They've got that nubbly hemp denim, and the entire waistband, fly, and outseams are trimmed in the red selvage, too - very nice detail.

I know there are some haters out there, but Levi's RED isn't for the masses, I suppose.

DSCF5391.jpg

DSCF5392.jpg

DSCF5393.jpg

DSCF5394.jpg