Levi's RED

Charlie Delta

Seeing that since the relaunch(?) of Levis RED there have been atleast 3 different threads on it I figured we might aswell get one definite thread about it.

These are the threads I found quickly, maybe Tweeds would be so kind to merge them into this thread?

Levis RED bow jeans

Levis RED + Oki Ni

CCP vs Levis RED

While the RED range has always been very "out there" and it's not for everyone I feel that they've played quite an important part in where non japanese denim has been going the last couple of years.

Let this be the place to discuss all things RED, both present and past.

I took the liberty to use Whizkit his pics from the Warped jeans he's selling at the moment. Hope he doesn't mind.

2052935786_a88efb97fb_o.jpg

2052149133_1afd808fb3_o.jpg

2052935256_634d87dfdd_o.jpg

2052934996_2a516d2a4e_o.jpg

2052934784_77731dbf87_o.jpg

Levis RED ss02

Warped comfort fit

warped 3d cut

cotton poly urethane blend

leather cinch back made from belt

I remember that there was another model that also had the extreme leg twist and I believe each leg twisted in another direction, it also featured a copper chain that went from the front beltloop into the backpocket and the top button was metal with a transparent plastic cover that under wich was what looked like a paper printout of the traditionel Levis button.

Sold on supermarket by Crackerhead a little while back.

Really sweet one-button jacket made from a supersoft dark 13 oz. stretch denim with a viscose/acetate lining with a celestial star and moon print. Lapels are lined in fine black leather. Arms are cut like a motorcycle style jacket with curved seams for a better fit.

CasualFormal01.jpg

CasualFormal02.jpg

CasualFormal04.jpg

CasualFormal03.jpg

CasualFormal06.jpg

The theme for this collection was "Day/Night" which is reflected in the idea of this blazer, which is based on a traditional tuxedo jacket with casual jeans-wear features such as contrast topstitching in gold and purple and exposed rivets to highlight the conflict between a daytime and nighttime wearing occasion.

Taken from Ninja07's thread in supermarket.

DSC_0053.jpgDSC_0056.jpg

Great workwear aesthetics jacket from the Levis Red line. European made, bought in ’02 from a similar shop to Cinch in London. Great denim, construction and details are immpecable. Hidden zip pockets, only stiching is revealed at the front. Buttons secured by metal clips. Collar can be worn 2 ways as seen in pics. Measurements upon request.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...1/DSC_0061.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...1/DSC_0062.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...1/DSC_0065.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...1/DSC_0071.jpg

Alright, since someone had asked about a manifesto in another post. I found a little blurb inside a look book I've collected:

A laboratory for denim innovation, Levi's RED has stimulated denimwear since 1999, breathing new life into accepted forms and functions and setting industry standards alight through radical design. Levi's RED is unequivocal and unapologetically subversive. With the spotlight on denim craftsmanship, Levi's RED is buoyed by the strong evolutionary nature of Levi's, with unambiguous allusions to Levi's unique heritage. Invigorating and independent, however, Levi's RED designs denimwear with a difference, branded with a compelling identity and personality of its very own. Independent from the dictates of fashion, Levi's RED creates new forms with enhanced fit and finish.

Levi's RED was launched globally in 1999 as a counterpart brand to LVC, and as a springboard for new ideas within Levi's. New collections were launched every six months in very limited quantities. This line continued globally until spring 2004, when the US got a different, yet still conceptual Levi's RED line, while the rest of the world continued the original Levi's RED line. In 2005, the line was phased out everywhere except for in Asia. Around the same time Levi's launched a slightly premium line in the US that borrowed the "Levi's red" moniker, though it wasn't the original line - This lesser line was quickly phased out. Fall 2007, however, reintroduces original Levi's RED line globally (minus the US.)

where does red loop fall into? I really though some of that stuff is the perfect mix between Levis red and their regular line.

Pretty sure Redloop is Japan only, and has nothing to do with the Levi's RED label, though I've seen them use some of the design concepts from Levi's RED after they were introduced. I think Redloop is more fashion oriented than the regular line, but not as conceptual or premium as RED.

FWIW, the Levi's RED range was mostly designed by Rikke Korff - she came up with the original twisted seam range of 2000 or so, which later became the mass market Engineered jeans, and also the oversized-detailed Red range of around 2003, which became the Type One levi's. Those later jeans were fantastic - petrol blue colour, low tilted rise, and really good straight and skinny cuts. WIll shoot my pair and put them up here if no one beats me to it...

where does red loop fall into? I really though some of that stuff is the perfect mix between Levis red and their regular line.

i have a pair of red loop, and they remind me nothing of the levis red line. the denim on them is beautiful tho... but the cut is a basic relaxed straight leg.

I dont know much about levis stuff. I have an Levis red Elijah Jacket i must of got like 5-6 years ago maybe? If anyone wants to see pictures. Its been barely worn probably maybe 3 times?! Might put it on marketplace if anyone is interested.

edit: Theres actually only a hits on google for it with some decent pictures. And i got the date wront it was more like 4 years ago.

http://levis.wear.jp/item.asp?item_dat_id=3515

Thanks Cotton for posting the Levis Red jacket of mine.

I 've also got a pair of Levis Red jeans with cinch back detail, it looks identical to the detailing of the jacket with hidden pocket and all. I will post some pics later when I get some time. Couldn't decide if I should put that on the market as well. I have not worn them since '02.

http://levis.wear.jp/LER/idx_stock.asp

a pretty good collection of the early collections from 2000 to ss2004

I took the liberty to use Whizkit his pics from the Warped jeans he's selling at the moment. Hope he doesn't mind.

I remember that there was another model that also had the extreme leg twist and I believe each leg twisted in another direction, it also featured a copper chain that went from the front beltloop into the backpocket and the top button was metal with a transparent plastic cover that under wich was what looked like a paper printout of the traditionel Levis button.

Happy to share the pics. The model you are refering should be the Warped Bootcut.

I thought I would just share some pics of my other pair of levis red

Slim Guys Sunday Prest from aw05

2066320278_9df3fee57c_o.jpg

front (out seam is positioned towards the front of the leg)

2066321076_a46ec90251_o.jpg

back (note the thick hem at the bottom)

2066320004_16ee7da10d_o.jpg

back pockets, large and sits low with exaggerated arcuate

2066319772_357451fdf1_o.jpg

red label with cursive R (only for this Red collection)

2066319480_c030c33d06_o.jpg

slit pockets

2065521491_b8a41ca3a6_o.jpg

top button is made from mother-of-pearl set in copper

2066321268_9f3d28ddfb_o.jpg

copper buttons and wrapped seams

What I like about Levis Red besides the innnovative cuts and great fabrics (denim purists might disagree), is the amount of details in each pair and consistent throughout each collection. I also enjoy how they try to push the idea of what defines a pair of jeans every season, while at the same time grounded in the heritage of levis jeans.

i have a pair of red loop, and they remind me nothing of the levis red line. the denim on them is beautiful tho... but the cut is a basic relaxed straight leg.

the denim in my experience was hemp/cotton blend for red loop. skinny tapered lowrise. this was like 2003? greenish hue, wish i still had them.

As i mentioned above, heres some pics of my Levis Red cinch back jeans to share

DSC_0274.jpg

Cinch back and hidden back pocket

DSC_0275.jpg

back pocket is inside

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

denim detail

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

I think they are called 1st Giant, but from the above link the same model has back pockets. Can someone shed some light? I would really like to find out what these are.

I will update my for sale thread if I decide to sell them if there's any interest.

...and also the oversized-detailed Red range of around 2003, which became the Type One levi's. Those later jeans were fantastic - petrol blue colour, low tilted rise, and really good straight and skinny cuts. WIll shoot my pair and put them up here if no one beats me to it...

Beat you to it, Paul. Here's a pair I used to have, that I sold recently. It was a girl's straight cut:

DSCF2192.jpgDSCF2191.jpgDSCF2194.jpg

And an ass shot from a lookbook I own.

DSCF2781.jpg

True Religion really destroyed some of the design elements from this season when they totally ripped off the look Levi's RED pioneered.

As i mentioned above, heres some pics of my Levis Red cinch back jeans to share

I think they are called 1st Giant, but from the above link the same model has back pockets. Can someone shed some light? I would really like to find out what these are.

Actually, Ninja, these were a very limited edition model from the very first RED collection. The model is the "4th Signature Jean," which was similar to the 1st Giant model. I think they made about 5 signature jeans in very limited numbers from the first collection. The signature jeans from the later collections were usually hand numbered, with only a few hundred copies of each made.

BTW, that crotch gusset is wild! I'd love to see what these look like on. They're made of a green selvage hemp/cotton denim, right?

thanks crackerhead for the insight. I had a feeling they were some limited editions. I must have bought them around 2000, from a shop in the Barri Gothic area in Barcelona whose name just escapes me.

I added a pic showing the inside seam, no green selvedge.

As for fit pics, they don't fit me now that I have lost much weight (they are tagged 34). I really liked them a lot back then. If I can find old fit pics I'll post up.

I must have bought them around 2000, from a shop in the Barri Gothic area in Barcelona whose name just escapes me.

I added a pic showing the inside seam, no green selvedge.

Was the shop Doshaburi?

And...strange. My 1st Giant jeans are made with green selvage denim, as were all RED jeans from the 1st collection. Look a little closer, and you might notice it. ;) I'll try to get photos of my 1st Giant jeans up to compare.

DSC_0303.jpg

some green thread can be seen, seems its definately got green selvedge.

I just realised as well it could be Doshaburi, are they the only shop in the area that stocks vintage levis? If yes then that should be it, although the shop interior looks somewhat different, maybe they have redone it afterall its been some time. I do remember the brick arches and there's a small square outside the shop?

would love to see your 1st giants!