Levi's RED

Charlie Delta

10 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

Yes, but since then you've seen the Light and you're cured now.

Strangely enough I don't feel guilty - in fact, I wish I still had them to pull them out every once in a while and, maybe, put them on for a day once in a blue moon.
the Billy-Bob model wasn't too outrageous and made a nice point in regards to anti-fit.

also loved the engineered/twisted range on a conceptual level - there were at least 1 or 2 models that I should've bought...

6 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

also loved the engineered/twisted range on a conceptual level - there were at least 1 or 2 models that I should've bought...

my father is quite a fan of Engineereds: I think he had a dozen of them in last 10 years, always manages to find deadstock pairs. Got one pair from him that fit me good - they were pretty much ok everyday pair for a student.

Also remember having Levi's with red top button, they were of some greencast indigo color, but surely of a more normal fit so not sure if they were this REDs.

I'll try to search both pairs when visit my parents next time..

• 2 weeks later...

@Maynard Friedman 

Fit pics of the Levis Red from about 1999/2000... can't remember really but I'd guess worn on and off for a year or so back then and Dad washed after every wear... still solid... retail madness above indeed that I'd be happy to accept :P

(just realised photos a bit dark, let me know if more needed!)

2019-05-05 09.38.03.jpg

2019-05-05 09.39.04.jpg

2019-05-05 09.38.28.jpg

Edited by MJF9

Thanks @Maynard Friedman your sage advice is always welcomed... however no room in the rotation atm and may be gone on grailed if there is a Red marketing campaign and a splurge of interest (though currently there is non)!!!

Very comfy and sturdy jeans... this has reminded me they're a good pair, worn relaxed with no belt, for kicking around in.

Brings back sweet memories...

we had a shop in Berlin called “Buttenheim” that sold the line back in the day and I got a pair or two.

Edited by Foxy2

12 minutes ago, Foxy2 said:

Brings back sweet memories...

we had a shop in Berlin called “Buttenheim” that sold the line back in the day and I got a pair or two.

They were properly made compare to a lot of other high price jeans in those days that were not really built too last.   

/memories/

once got a similar pair to the billy-bob, but in lighter chino style material, same top block / coin pocket / placement of belt loops

but fairly tapered

the 'beaujolais' or something akin to that... now my significant other's shorts...

plus had a one backed pocket example like MJF9's - again, that had a fairly tapered fit / smaller ankle; that poor thing went to the charity shop... (but had itself already been retrieved from notting hill exchange - the battersea dog's home of unwanted unloved jawns...)

11 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

/memories/

once got a similar pair to the billy-bob, but in lighter chino style material, same top block / coin pocket / placement of belt loops

but fairly tapered

the 'beaujolais' or something akin to that... now my significant other's shorts...

plus had a one backed pocket example like MJF9's - again, that had a fairly tapered fit / smaller ankle; that poor thing went to the charity shop... (but had itself already been retrieved from notting hill exchange - the battersea dog's home of unwanted unloved jawns...)

Great to hear these Red Stories 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:04 PM, MJF9 said:

How can I find out whether a pair is made with hemp or not?  Thanks man

3 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I think the 2400 may signify Spring 2000 - 24 representing 2 (Feb) and 4 (April), although I could be wrong.

Thank you Maynard,

I just got another info that 24 meant that it was made in the 24 weeks of the year and 00 is the 2000s.  We can probably assume this was made in the 2000.   

On 5/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, bartlebyyphonics said:

/memories/

'twas exactly the pair below... my indigo double...

On 5/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, vexed_wear said:

MITI__MG_6266.jpg

^ This post from p3 (2008) suggests the hemp/cotton mix denim was made in Turkey:

On 11/26/2008 at 4:00 PM, alitarbegshe said:

Unfortunately Crackerhead, I feel we may be dis-appointed.

When the RED collection stopped for a while in 05, it was carried on in Japan with different cuts.

Last season they released the originals, and I have to say the denim just does not compare.

Now using japanese denim and a red line selvedge, the denim is nowhere near as as slubby or nubbly.

1st Giant was the 1st denim that hooked me in and finding an OG is still a holy grail. Hard to convey in photo's how good the denim wad. An the fades from a deep indigo to the greenish hue was something else.! Recently picked up the 100% cotton, but it just does not compare.

Really really hope they do this proper, with turkish denim and the hidden back pocket.

While we're still on it... a few more pics...

Tag on these says MiS (made in Spain :)) for Levis Belgium... no mention of where the denim is from

Two dates? Guessing - Nov 2001 (date made?), 10/99 (model from Oct 1999?) 

Inside out - pleasantly irregular fabric, good size pocket bags, 3 x hanging loops, interesting selvedge line

Close up of denim inside and out

I now recall I started off dry cleaning these (you can see clip/staple marks from the cleaners on the tag) then got fed up with the hassle and thereafter shoved them in the washer (with resultant significant shrinkage)

They're growing on me again...

2019-05-11 11.18.36.jpg

2019-05-11 11.19.12.jpg

2019-05-11 11.17.57.jpg

2019-05-11 11.19.52.jpg

Edited by MJF9

Here is another pair of Levi's Red.  This pair is still in a new condition, hardly worn as I bought it too big and its still a little loose for me!  Must have been from Macarthur Glen outlet in York during 2000.  They used to have several Reds and some LVC pieces on sale back then.  

MITI__MG_6272.jpg

MITI__MG_6273.jpg

MITI__MG_6276.jpg

MITI__MG_6277.jpg

MITI__MG_6278.jpg

MITI__MG_6283.jpg

MITI__MG_6284.jpg

Edited by vexed_wear
more text

beautful pair! got two pairs of these 1st giants over the years from ebay, a w32 and later a w30 pair for the 32 was really giant on me, but unfortnately even using the last hole of the cinch my w30 fitted like a true w34. i never have seen a w28 pair though... i love the details of 1870s-1890s levis such as the flat rivets and the coin pockets reaching up to the waist. interesting that those details along with twisted seams, which might have been inspired by the crazy natural leg twists of old levis, giving the whole RED collection such a hyper modern if not futuristic look, if you might say so.

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

I'm not familiar with the Levis RED label, but I did have a pair of what were known as Levis Engineered jeans circa 2007 which were identical to what you guys are posting here as Levis RED. Mine had a raw look to the denim, identical to what a raw LVC denim looks like.

I bought mine in Asia. I assumed then that they were a Europe/Asia thing.