Levi's RED

Charlie Delta

They have the reissues in London.

Although the denim looks like natural indigo, I don't think it is... but it's definitely meant to evoke that look.

In the flesh, the reissues look bang-on, the cotton-hemp mix looks absolutely beautiful. Yes, I agree they should do more with this fabric. Seeing it again, you realise how trendsetting it was, with that very primitive, grainy look.

they made the red loop with the green/blue cotton/hemp mix. regret selling my pair

^ spot on...

delectable fabric as Paul mentioned. the word primitive is really apt, it's a crude looking fabric with alot of irregularities and the texture is great. it really reminds me of the SC okinawa denim in a much subtler way; although it probably should be the other way around - okinawa sugarcane blend reminiscent of the original hemp denim. the 1st Giant is a work of art.

this season's RED stuff, conversely, is much less fun? it definitely pales in comparison to the excitement of the reissues.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think the hem blend denim looks fantastic, and like Paul T, I really wish they would do more with the fabric.

I can't be the only person who wishes they would make something with the hemp denim in a less progressive style, with standard fitting (something more 'wearable' per se, not necessarily under the RED name). As good as the fabric looks on the Levi's Red pieces, theres realistically no way I would wear the style, even if they came in something that would come even close to fitting.

actually, the 1st Standard is eminently wearable - and apparently has been quite well received at cinch - basically a standard slim jean without too much fuss. the 1st Giant, of course, is a monster, but what's some progressive primitive denim without pushing the pair of pants all the way, i guess...

P1100499.jpg

P1100500.jpgP1100501.jpgP1100465.jpg

P1100463.jpg

These have been locked up in my storage for years now. 1st Giant Levis Red. The tag said they were made in Spain. 60% cotton 40% hemp... These are brand new & will end up in the supermarket when I'm done gathering my other items. They are not the reissued ones on cultizm.com

• 2 years later...

Horriblyjollyjinx, where are your photos?

Got this craziness today. Selvage collar. HAHAHAHA. The denim reminds me of a pair of deadstock LVC Valencia St. 201's I had, except for a lot greener.

MyAll-In-One01.jpg

Liove this! Can anyone tell me the name / reference on these? Would love to find them!

ive been wearing what i believe to be levis red for a while now... they have the same detailing as the s/s 2008 stuff... greencast 100% cotton non selvage denim. they had a non functional buckleback that i took off, and i took off the red waist tag. nowhere on them said levis red, but the waist button is painted red with an r on it.

i like em.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

so it´s been 20 years now since european designed LEVI´S RED appeared to the fashion world.

does anyone know if Levi´s is about to celebrate it?

after chasing nearly 20 years for it, i recently got a unworn pair of the 1st giants. I really love the cotton/hemp denim which is at the same level as some famous japanese denims.

does anybody have any info of the denim? who made this?

anyone else into RED?

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, peter1 said:

^^Good lord those are terrible. 

Does terrible actually cover it though? If it wasn't for the power of the 501, Levi's would have been out of business years ago. They look like something that came out of a "Fashion College", from the students that eventually failed the course.

I mean Jesus-Fuckin-Christ...

levis-red-jeans-70m-f02-type-4-vest_LRTE

428360_02_800x800.jpg

I knew these designs wouldn’t appeal to most but I quite like some of this stuff and although I wouldn’t wear it, I hope someone does and I’m glad it exists. The boundaries need to be pushed every now and then.

6 hours ago, Paul T said:

both those design formats (twisted whacky seams and oversize stitching/rivets)  were copied by loads of people including Miss Sixty and True Religion, which is as sincere flattery as you could want.

Or a case of great minds think alike, fools seldom differ. I'm not sure a major brand having their designs, good or bad, copied by some upstart brand means either of them are winning.

I pulled a pair out of my attic at the weekend from 1999 I think. They seemed a good idea back in the day. On Maynard's link they are most like the comfort ones at an eye watering £495! However you might find a vintage pair on grailed for considerably less!

Assuming the online UK inflation calculator I used is correct, that £500 would be £290 twenty years ago. They did not cost that much then. Agree £500 is defo OTT.

Edited by MJF9