New Years in Hong Kong or Mainland

Dec 31st, where to be in Asia  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Dec 31st, where to be in Asia

• Beijing
    • Shanghai
    • Hong Kong
    • other

I'm going to be in beijing and shanghai come late dec. and at some point, stopping by hong kong for some shopping before heading back in mid jan. it's not the first or second time for me so it should be a pretty easy trip overall.

that said, i've never been there in the winter, not to mention on new years eve.

so, what city should i spend dec. 31st in and where are the best (or least overrated) parties?

please share stories too.

• 2 weeks later...
hong kong. new years here is so boring. not to mention the god awful weather right about that time.

yeah man, waddup with hongkong locals wearing winterwear and shit?

Funny thing is I'll be away from Hong Kong right around New Years... will be jetting to a small little place...

It's okay I fucking hate partying at New Years anyway.

Holler if anyone's going to be around the HK area.... or maybe even SG area.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Funny thing is I'll be away from Hong Kong right around New Years... will be jetting to a small little place...

It's okay I fucking hate partying at New Years anyway.

Holler if anyone's going to be around the HK area.... or maybe even SG area.... ;)

just take subarashi with you, that would def be my plan

shanghai will probably have something ok to go to, probably more expensive parties than in beijing. never really liked partying in hong kong for some reason, even though i have a soft spot for the city... i can't even remember where i was two years ago for NYE - last year i was in bangkok but all these bombs were going off... so i stayed in.

i'll be in hk. i dunno what parties will be goin on. its somethin ill have to check when i get there. lan kwai fung is usually a mess that nite with cops directing the flow of traffic in one direction. the reason is because 11-12 people got trampled to death there in the mid 90's on new years.

• 4 years later...

looking to go to HK and shanghai right before CNY like end of January. since CNY is in the middle of Feb will there still be festivities going on during that time?

i heard that a lot of people leave during CNY and go on vacation so its not as fun to go during the actual CNY.

thoughts?