High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

yeah took them about 3 weeks to get back to me but Kirsten Shorey is the person you place orders through/sends samples she did say they are swamped this season and it's at least 4-6 weeks to get an order made assuming you get that far of course.

Sent her my custom choices to get pricing but went silent again, takes a bit of patience I guess.

Question is, how does one go about getting through to Quoddy? So far they aren't answering phones, returning emails or voicemails. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're busy because of the GQ thing... but they must be doing some business. What gives?

As far as I know it's a very very small business. I've heard they were pretty damn slow a few months ago, and if they've been featured in GQ I can only imagine what it's going to be like now.

yeah, patience is key...kirsten will eventually get back. sometimes it would be right away for me, other times a week or two. but as far as filling orders, i have had a pair of ring boots made as well as the bluchers i posted...both took exactly 4 weeks to get to me.

the ring boots were made long before the GQ write up, and the bluchers after...so who knows. i just chalk it up to being a small business.

i had also asked for the leather swatches seperately and those showed up randomly one day after i had totally forgotten about them, maybe a month later.

There where some people liking Albam in this thread as I remember, they have a sale at their site now. Might be worth it.:)

The prices seemed suspiciously low until I noticed it was in pounds and not even euros. Still, good deals to be had if you aren't as broke as I.

(edit: they do remove VAT from price for international but of course international shipping is $30 so you're basically just breaking even on the cost of the more expensive items. Still, sort of nice.)

You know you're old when you have Patagonia fleece jackets from the 80's. I remember buying one (that I still wear) back in '86 or so. I also have a pair of Danner Mountain Lights from back in the day...I think I'm on my third set of soles.

I worked at a fly fishing shop through college and at one time Patagonia had an employee purchase program that you were able to buy season close-outs for next to nothing. This was probably in 1990. I bought so much stuff...hooked up everyone! No telling what some of that might sell for on ebay. Certainly more than I paid for it back then. I need to dig through my parents house and find some of that gear. I know there are a couple of anoraks and fleeces hanging around. I wanted one of those sheepy looking fleece jackets so bad but they were out of my size in the close-outs so I got my gf one that was red. Sweet jackets! I still have some of the capilene from back then that I still wear. Some of the lightweight and expedition weight stuff that piles up so badly. Stuff last forever.

BTW...Filson makes a pretty sick looking pair of upland boots that are a bit cheaper than the Russell's. But I swear...those Danner Moutain Lights of mine are total classics and last forever.

You know you're old when you have Patagonia fleece jackets from the 80's. I remember buying one (that I still wear) back in '86 or so. I also have a pair of Danner Mountain Lights from back in the day...I think I'm on my third set of soles.

I worked at a fly fishing shop through college and at one time Patagonia had an employee purchase program that you were able to buy season close-outs for next to nothing. This was probably in 1990. I bought so much stuff...hooked up everyone! No telling what some of that might sell for on ebay. Certainly more than I paid for it back then. I need to dig through my parents house and find some of that gear. I know there are a couple of anoraks and fleeces hanging around. I wanted one of those sheepy looking fleece jackets so bad but they were out of my size in the close-outs so I got my gf one that was red. Sweet jackets! I still have some of the capilene from back then that I still wear. Some of the lightweight and expedition weight stuff that piles up so badly. Stuff last forever.

BTW...Filson makes a pretty sick looking pair of upland boots that are a bit cheaper than the Russell's. But I swear...those Danner Moutain Lights of mine are total classics and last forever.

hell yeah. Sounds like you got more than a couple years on me. I wasn't buying Patagonia Fleeces as a three year old...hahaha. But when you dig through the parents house, post some flics. Always love to look at that old stuff. As I may have mentioned earlier in this thread, my pops was an avid climber (half dome, El Cap, etc...) and remembers buying Pitons and the like from Chinarrd (Sp?) pre-patagonia, as well as the first North Face shop in Berkely (I think?)

Good stuff.

hell yeah. Sounds like you got more than a couple years on me. I wasn't buying Patagonia Fleeces as a three year old...hahaha. But when you dig through the parents house, post some flics. Always love to look at that old stuff. As I may have mentioned earlier in this thread, my pops was an avid climber (half dome, El Cap, etc...) and remembers buying Pitons and the like from Chinarrd (Sp?) pre-patagonia, as well as the first North Face shop in Berkely (I think?)

Good stuff.

Will do. Visiting the folks over Thanksgiving so I need to grab some of that old stuff. I have a few chouinard biners as well. Actually met Yvon when he dropped by the fly fishing shop back in the early 90's. Damn...I'm getting old!

I just came across these ugly yet cool looking boots while looking at some other sale items on their site. http://jlpowellusa.com/product/33-Footwear/98-Westley-Richards-Courteney-Boot.html

98-1-lg.jpg

98-4-lg.jpg

Courteney Boot

Definitely not named for the Courteney you briefly dated sophomore year. Most definitely not. These boots are rugged enough to bear the name of one Frederick Courtney Selous, the great British explorer and hunter who made valuable ethnological investigations during his wanderings in Africa. The hand stitched Select Cape Buffalo skin upper delivers the strength you need for arduous hikes without blister-producing rigidity. The soft Impala skin collar surrounding the ankle provides exceptional support and comfort. Rugged welt sole. Brass eyelets. Made in Zimbabwe.

They're on sale for a cheap price, but they only have a 10 left.

These are also kind of cool: http://jlpowellusa.com/product/33-Footwear/400-Crispi-MP-Botswana-Boot.html

Will do. Visiting the folks over Thanksgiving so I need to grab some of that old stuff. I have a few chouinard biners as well. Actually met Yvon when he dropped by the fly fishing shop back in the early 90's. Damn...I'm getting old!

That's really damn cool

He's a legend

What you doin on sufu? aha

Quoddies came today, will post pics tommorow or whenever i get the chance, wouldn't normally post pics but someone asked for em

That's really damn cool

He's a legend

What you doin on sufu? aha

Quoddies came today, will post pics tommorow or whenever i get the chance, wouldn't normally post pics but someone asked for em

Dig the denim, classic American workwear, music, ect...

And there is the occasional good tip on here. I just got a pair of Quoddys in the mail on Tuesday!

Nice man!

Do you know anything about caring for them? Is spray on stuff ok for them?

It rained the first day I wore mine. The rain beaded up like a wax job on a car. I'm not going to do anything with mine except wear the hell out of them.

I'm not a big fan of the spray on stuff except maybe for suede. Once they get some wear on them I might treat them with some Sno-Seal or something similar. But for now I think they are good to go out of the bag (Mine didn't come in a box?).

GAAAHHHH!

I just found out that my Russell Boots that were supposed to ship out last week haven't even been cut because they ran out of Expresso Navigator leather. I get to call back on monday to find out when they might be getting the leather so they can probably tell me it will be another month or so of construction.

They could have at least called me; I had to call them to find this out.

It rained the first day I wore mine. The rain beaded up like a wax job on a car. I'm not going to do anything with mine except wear the hell out of them.

I'm not a big fan of the spray on stuff except maybe for suede. Once they get some wear on them I might treat them with some Sno-Seal or something similar. But for now I think they are good to go out of the bag (Mine didn't come in a box?).

Haha ya .. I went for a hike today, got them kinda wet/muddy

Definitly not planning anything different for mine .. Although I sprayed them and it left marks so i took it off with a wet rag, thankfully it worked.

Jesus!

All of Quoddy's prices just went up by a lot!

Grizzly boots by more than $100.

Even stranger is when your building your Grizzly boots in the online store the Tabacco Bison option is $40,000!

Try it:

http://www.quoddytrail.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=43

I'm kicking myself in the balls for not ordering the Ankle Boots, Boat Shoes, and Grizzly boats I've been wanting for years.

Quoddy's prices JUMPED (thanks to robin for the heads up yesterday).

If you want an answer from them on something, don't wait for an e-mail--207.853.2488.

Had me considering diddy's (?) rec for arrow moc.http://www.arrowmoc.com/

I would phone but being in the UK I can't be bothered with the time difference

besides I think I'd rather pay the same money for russells

Those arrow moc ring boots don't look too far off quoddy's but I guess they only do leather soles? probably wouldn't fare too well on asphalt

Those arrow moc ring boots don't look too far off quoddy's but I guess they only do leather soles? probably wouldn't fare too well on asphalt

The soft leather soles used in tracking boots and mocs do not hold up well in the long run if you're using them on sidewalks. Arrow uses some of the thickest leather for their soles that I've ever seen though.

I saw some Arrow Mocs on a Japanese site that had double soles with crepe bottoms - the ones at Oi Polloi had crepe too so they can clearly do this. Kicker for me is that they don't have insoles - might be an option for them to leave room for them.

Video of Le Chameau's manufacturing process for both their wellington and hiking boots:

It's interesting to see that their wellingtons go through several steps and are put/sewn together, whereas most other wellingtons just get created in a single step mold. They also show some of the testing they do on the hiking boots (like submerging them in water!).

Jesus!

All of Quoddy's prices just went up by a lot!

Grizzly boots by more than $100.

Even stranger is when your building your Grizzly boots in the online store the Tabacco Bison option is $40,000!

Try it:

http://www.quoddytrail.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=43

I'm kicking myself in the balls for not ordering the Ankle Boots, Boat Shoes, and Grizzly boats I've been wanting for years.

fuck

that explains why the jawns for sale at south willard doubled in price

grrrrrrrrr

:mad:

interest check: anyone want a pair of Russell Mocs South40 birdshooters size 9 (to fit a 9.5) for, i dunno, 200 shipped in the USA? i wore them maybe 4 or 5 times. i hate to part with them but i gotta think about buying cribs and shit.