High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

^^ me too.

I think the big problem is figuering out if you should go for your regular size, or size down as for red wings and bean boots...

dunkin,

no offense ment. I didnt see it was you that posted the visvims, i can understand how they fit into your thing. Personally, im cheap as hell...

^^ me too.

I think the big problem is figuering out if you should go for your regular size, or size down as for red wings and bean boots...

dunkin,

no offense ment. I didnt see it was you that posted the visvims, i can understand how they fit into your thing. Personally, im cheap as hell...

bobo..no offense taken....i ask myself the same question sometimes....in this case it was the suede upper of the boot and it being visvim x undercover didnt hurt either...:P

Just stumbled across these fine looking RMs at Silver and Gold

Those look tough, but I'm not really a fan of the sole--I'm coming around to a lot of old man styles, but the dexter/rockport style comfort sole isn't one of them. Alden does a lot of that type of sole as well.

Guy on styleforum recently picked up a pair of RM chukkas. Not too special, but a nice basic shoe that will probably age well.

dsc1991wx0.jpg

more colors for anyone else who liked those sperryXBoO boots as much as i did

"boiled wool"

12.jpg

black ballistic nylon is pretty fly, i might snatch these..

13.jpg

and the same "classic brown"

10.jpg

The man with the LIFE NATURE LIBRARY collection is the man who torments us.

^lolz its from BoO's blog/store thing im pretty sure. and he does. most people not feelin' these like i am? fuck ill take all 3

Not even interested in knockin' these really, but basically, if I see another fool walking the streets of brooklyn in skinny jeans and boat shoes...I don't even know. Murder season. But it is what it is. If I liked the styling better I might not be poppin so much shit. Deck shoes are a summer time affair though, no need to extend the trend.

Not even interested in knockin' these really, but basically, if I see another fool walking the streets of brooklyn in skinny jeans and boat shoes...I don't even know. Murder season. But it is what it is. If I liked the styling better I might not be poppin so much shit. Deck shoes are a summer time affair though, no need to extend the trend.

Word. Need I even insert affirmation here?

Plus, I really can't back Sperry. When it comes to my footwear I adhere to a relentless standard of quality. That's a little strong, but I'm definitely not paying Russell money for Sperry. I don't care if it's ballistic wool.

Finally dudes are starting to talk some sense around here again... The past few pages have been soft and really wandered from the core of what interested me in this thread--the ruggedness, could actually function in the backcountry-ness.

And again, not to diss anybody interested in the BoOxSperry joints, but I'm sorry, I ain't wearing anything Band of Outsiders in the woods (or ocean area) ever--unless my plane goes down over the Canadian Rockies or something. That to me should be a hallmark question of the thread: "could it function in the backcountry?"--not that you have to use it exclusively outdoors, but you COULD if you wanted to. And while we're at it, I like the Albam stuff okay--it's not 100% my thing--but I don't fully get why it belongs here either. Is it because they offer a cotton anorak? Again, this isn't to diss, it's to continue a discussion what people think "belongs"in here. Because it's one thing to say "most outdoor gear is overdesigned." Fine, I agree with that, but I think we're going overboard here a bit in the other direction, including stuff that is in my opinion, nothing but fashion--overpriced and with no functional sensibility about it whatsoever. And there's a whole other category of items we could discuss as well--things that aren't "fashion-first," but that are marketed to an outdoor crowd and actually function VERY well without being overdesigned and look pretty good as well. I'm thinking of designs involving, for example, eVent and Schoeller, two materials/products that (unlike Gore-Tex) really do what they are supposed to do. Just some thoughts from the geecee...

doc, im poor :( hoping i could at least get the look at a lower price since its sperry. and forgo the quality if its a bargain. most people dont know different. thats enough for now

cheese, ill be living in a big city. no wilderness. maybe i didnt read the whole thread, when i read "mountaineering" ive taken it to mean something about how its styled, not how it functions necessarily, but i could be wrong?

Ok, let's take it from the top.

I'm betting those Sperry BoO boots run three bills. They won't be cheap. A new limited run style for a high-end, GQ-sack-riding brand made from premium materials - these won't be Sperry money.

And Dino, as far as I'm concerned, they were totally fair game for this thread. Good post. This thread has long been welcoming of tangentials in good taste - we've strayed further and for the most part I like where it's gone. There is definitely a distinct, albeit subtle, theme--it has something to do with outdoors inspired gear and the styles and brands that are doing it well.

Cheese, your post was entirely too long and void of appropriate breaks. I hear where you're coming from, though, but it sounds like you haven't been paying enough attention.

why the chiding tone doc? :rolleyes:

actually i've been paying plenty of attention, and it's precisely why i "intervened" when i did. i didn't post in the spirit of a moderator--i'm all for rollicking threads that surface latent connections between ideas.

but while you like where we've strayed, i'm not feeling it anymore--and i laid out a few reasons why (albeit somewhat opaquely). different strokes i guess...

Sorry I was being a dick, Cheese.

It wasn't really clear to me what specifically you are referring to in your post - just Albam? That probably could have been posted elsewhere or as a new thread - in fact, I think I'll do that - but seems to me otherwise we've been somewhat consistent.

Is it the duck boots? Yeah, I don't like those either. Fuck them.

If you're interested in discussing things "that aren't fashion first" I would encourage you to start a new thread, or go dig up one that already exists. There has certainly been plenty of talk about function clothing and apparel here, but that's never been the focus, see thread subject. We could talk technical gear all day, but I don't think this is the place for that.

Lastly, because this conversation is boring, I'll try to get us back on track with a pair of well-worn Wilderness boots. Still one of the best ever.

tapuchan77-img600x450-1211707440pxjd7r86438.jpg

I been absent from this thread for a minute due to lack of internet and a diminishing interest in Superfuture, but I'm in the office a bunch this week, so i'll be trying to make some contributions again.

In case there is any confusion as to what this thread is "about", here's a quote (edited for clarity) from page 1:

I'm concerned with tasteful interpretations and re-appropriations of classic work wear and outdoor gear in the upper echelons of this fashion bullshit.

While I feel what grilled cheese is saying, this thread has never been restricted to items that pass muster in the back country. If it was, I wouldn't have started it on this message board. Infact, I wouldn't have started it anywhere because I don't care to discuss the specific technical merits of modern mountaineering equipment, nor do i frequent message boards where such things are discussed. That doesn't mean you can't say the sperry high top boat joints are "pussy", or "gay", or any other adjective of your choosing, and you can certainly question their construction and technical applicability, but if people choose to post them, i take no issue with that, and I think the content sits nicely with where this thread is going, and what it has become.

That said, if an item/brand becomes the focus of discussion to the point it warrants its own thread (General/Mountain Research), go ahead and make one.

That's it for now.

I'll get my fingers working on the photobucket tip soon.

so beatle got these, i got the link but only up to a 9,any russel moc experts now if its a model avalible in usa?on custom

I believe the lower tan joints are just their straight suede chukka I've been meaning to purchase for more than two years now.

Compare and contrast...

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_stalkingtracking/laramie_oneida_tracker.html

The one thing that kills me about Russell is their poorly photographed website. Don't really give a fuck though, as long as they keep doing what they do.

Sick shoe though. Blows most other chukka/desert boot imitations from the usual high fashion bunch out of the frame.