High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

gucci seem to be doing a bit of this sort of thing, eg

08fd21pzok.jpg

I'm keen for a pair of trekking boots that actually look nice. They've gotta be usable though, I want to wear them up the mountains! I'm not sure I'd trust something made by gucci not to fall to bits if I used them in anger. Conversely, it seems that most technical boots look shit

medium-Banks-GTX.jpg

I'm thinking mil-surp might be the way forward.

There are still some companies that make old fashioned style boots. Like Diemme, Gronell (see production, traditon good year), Alico, Meindl. Then there is always Limmer for custom made ones, they are great quility but really ugly in my opinion.

I think Danner mountain lights are really nice too.

Another great boot company that also makes work boots and hiking boots is Viberg.

These are all serious hiking boots.

Then there are Paraboot avoriaz, which is a old model of this company, now made more for style then function.

I hope that when these boots get more popular more companies will reintroduce their older models, there are great looking classic boots that are only available deadstock or vintage now. I know there are so much more smaller european and american companies that most have had some great models that are now not being made anymore. There are some great Fabiano and Pivetta models that I would love to find, that are no longer being made. Anyway, I have always liked this style, so I welcome more people into wearing this style. But I still think it is mostly seen as geek footwear. :D

Remember that most of these are really heavy and hard to break in, which is why the ugly lightweight tech boots are more used now.

Good info Linkejeuk.

Appreciate that.

And Doc...I wasn't looking for the most expensive coolest newest most japanesish hot shit on the block, I'm more concerned (as i think you are as well) with tasteful interpretations and re-appropriations of classic work wear and outdoor gear in the upper echelons of this fashion bullshit.

Please continue...

Thanks. Yes, I know the merrells have a good price, but I have heard stories about the glue dissolving and the soles coming off way to easy. The Alico's have a very good price though, they can be found for around 150 dollars I think on sierra trading post.

A lot of these boots are being made with vibram soles or other adaptations ,mostly for the japanese market, as well.

I keep fronting On my Russell Moc purchase.

I told myself I would trace my goddamnned foot already and send that shit in so perhaps someone who loved me could place a holiday order, but at this point, I won't get the fucking things till spring!!!

I live in a cabin in the sticks now too, so i need something heavy but stylish for winter warfare.

Yeah, I haven't look much into ordering directly from them, but I hear there is a long wait. I also hear that you can pay a rush fee and get them in a few weeks.

I actually bought mine from Nom de Guerre in the City, so they aren't custom, but they fit absolutely perfect. If you can figure out your size you can order them from places like Stafford's (http://www.stafford-catalog.com/), or you can shell out more and order them from Japan. But I guess most people probably want the custom fit.

They are amazing, I'm ready to get another pair. Will probably end up ordering them in the same size I have, rather than placing a custom order with RM and waiting.

Not "high fashion" but Dannar Mountain Lights 2 seems to be a japanese street/repro staple. Looks a bit like those guccis, but alot sturdier...

danner is great. i can't recall exact labels, but i think they actually did some collabos in japland.

But what's good with all the colors?

Like, is that some Japanese collabo deal, or are people really just taking advantage of their "we'll make a mocassin out of almost anything" attitude and sending them materials?

I don't even recognize what model the Black and white (or is it Creme) joints are, but they're sick.

They're called the Kalahari PH - they look like a mid-Safari PH. A style I've only seen in Japan.

I don't know about the different colors and materials. I know that's what NdG did, but I don't know if anyone can order them directly from RM, or if those are just larger custom orders for retailers. They don't all seem to be collabs. I need to figure that out, bc most of what I see on Japanese sites is much better than what is on the RM site.

There must be a way to get some of those styles stateside - they are all made here.

what;s with all this moccasin threadjacking going on?? that first set looks sick in fainess.

But I still think it is mostly seen as geek footwear. :D

I think the only guy I know who wears this sort of thing regularly is doing a DPhil in theoretical quantum computing...his boots look damn good tho. It seems like you have a great fondness for rocking big boy mountain boots, got any fit pics?

I don't know about the different colors and materials. I know that's what NdG did, but I don't know if anyone can order them directly from RM, or if those are just larger custom orders for retailers. They don't all seem to be collabs. I need to figure that out, bc most of what I see on Japanese sights is much better than what is on the RM site.

There must be a way to get some of those styles stateside - they are all made here.

I heard that you can get any style redone by RM by special request. All those crazy styles you see out in the JP Sites were basically special runs for each store. So, I'm guessing if you send them a pic or describe what you want done they'll do it. As for extra fees, iunno. If you do it let me know because I'm thinking of getting some done too.

I heard that you can get any style redone by RM by special request. All those crazy styles you see out in the JP Sites were basically special runs for each store. So, I'm guessing if you send them a pic or describe what you want done they'll do it. As for extra fees, iunno. If you do it let me know because I'm thinking of getting some done too.

That's what I was thinking, just wondering if they would replicate a single pair from a limited run they'd done previously, or if there is some minimum order for the real special joints. Also wondering what some of those would end up costing.

I'll be looking into this and will report back if I figure anything out.