High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

ok "Snowtober" in NYC today,

so it raises the question

i would like to ask.

recommendation boots for for the upcoming winter mess of slush and snow in the city.

im not gonna be hiking in them every day, they are def for city shit, but who knows it would be great to have them be able to work just as good out in the rough as well.

I'm thinking something def insulated

no Christy flat bullshit soles

no a huge fan of the bean boots either...

i want something that is gonna just be classic, and be my it's fucking nasty out boots.

so

- Danner Mountain light

- Viberg 66 series

any thoughts or recommendation please..

the mountain lights are great for every day, but i always skip them for this shit weather and wear a legit hiking boot. might not look as nice, but modern advances were made for a reason.

mine are the scarpa kailash gtx. i'll be wearing them with my halloween costume tonight.

PEPSN.jpg

the mountain lights are great for every day, but i always skip them for this shit weather and wear a legit hiking boot. might not look as nice, but modern advances were made for a reason.

mine are the scarpa kailash gtx. i'll be wearing them with my halloween costume tonight.

PEPSN.jpg

Absolutely right. I recently got me a pair of mountain lights and I was surprised that they're regarded as "trekking boots", since only thing they have common with trekking boots is the outer sole.

For a everyday use they're quite good though, like really heavy waterproof sneakers.

honestly, thank you for the suggestions, but i'm looking for something that will be water/snow resistant and also be able to double slightly dressed up in those conditions as well,

so that i why i might be learning towards the retro fashioned old school look of the Danners II or Vibergs models

honestly, thank you for the suggestions, but i'm looking for something that will be water/snow resistant and also be able to double slightly dressed up in those conditions as well,

so that i why i might be learning towards the retro fashioned old school look of the Danners II or Vibergs models

^POST A FIT THEN, SON

Paraboot Avoriaz

430-430.jpeg

430-430.jpeg

black and brown are standard, but you may be able to find some of the oki ni versions from a couple years ago on the cheap -

http://www.oki-ni.com/invt/par0001gry

http://www.oki-ni.com/sop/paraboot-avoriaz-mountaineering-boot/invt/par0003red?CMP=AFC-AW&attr=71959&awc=2083_1320501433_2cbf532133491df38501f28a281b1dbb

Avoriaz is actually a proper trekking boot with relatively stiff sole -you could even use crampons if you'd like. At least in those models they sell in outdoor shops (if they differ from the oki-ni ones?). Other similar boots I've tried are for example Zamberlan Novolao, with upgraded sole construction

001_1020_Novolao_nw.jpg

I like the "redwing" comfort of the Danner mtn lights, it's good for the everyday life. They're like sneakers. It's actually better for your feet as well -let the small muscles on your feet do the work. Unless you're carrying some 40kg backpack... :)

• 3 weeks later...

i've been trying to decide which boots to get. being a broke student these are the 3 that i've been looking at:

timberland abington hiker

Oz144.jpg

north face ballard 6" boot

fsj34.jpg

merrell wilderness

XWPh1.jpg

what do you guys think?

Edited by Jokez

• 3 weeks later...

update on those Danner Overtons... even after sizing down 1/2 from my typical sneaker size, they still felt a little big. For whatever reason, everybody's been sayin they were on a EE last so that kinda surprised me when I got them and they weren't feeling particularly wide. I looked at the tag and it says "Men D". other than that, quality is top notch IMO. Made in the U.S.A. by hand. Awesome. Can't wait to stomp in these this winter.

img57428874.jpg?_ex=350x350&s=2&r=1

^are you talking about the euro hikers? i was pretty on the fence about those... how do they look in person?

They look great. I bought the all black but I threw away the striped laces and used their black laces instead. I'm concerned about treating the leather since they used Horween.

• 3 weeks later...

those serras look sooo buttery, nice kop

semi-serious question: are serras actually comfy to hike in? how's the tread on the sole, flexibility, etc

The inside leather is a lot more cushioned than I thought. I plan to take these out on the trail so we'll see how they perform. The soles look every bit as good as my roommate's hiking boots.

you won't be able to go anywhere with those serras that you couldn't go with a pair of hightop sneakers. the sole is quite flimsy and the uppers are stripped down so they don't offer much support. they used to come with a disclaimer (perhaps still do?) of something along the lines of 'these shoes are not intended for hiking. do not use on the trail..'

the whymper boots, eiger (provided you change out the christy wedge) and possibly the moncler v ones are proper hiking boots.

ursus-bape-trekking-boots-1-620x413.jpg

bape comin threw lookin clean

dude, so fuckin good. any new pics of these out yet?

edit: just found this one, but that's it. I hope they have more colorways but the black and burgundy is sexy

412.jpg

Edited by Bogie