High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

• 2 weeks later...

Really sorry to derail this again without it even getting back on track aha .. buuuuut .. I was wondering if anyone knew of some resources for old patagonia stuff.

Been scouring ebay lately but I never really know what I'm looking at..

The only thing I would recognise the age of is the grey with red trim pullover snap collar fleeces (having had 2 when I was little and outgrew things quickly).

seenmy, papoose?

Really sorry to derail this again without it even getting back on track aha .. buuuuut .. I was wondering if anyone knew of some resources for old patagonia stuff.

The only thing I would recognise the age of is the grey with red trim pullover snap collar fleeces (having had 2 when I was little and outgrew things quickly).

seenmy, papoose?

I am no patagonia expert as I've only owned a few shells and fleeces from them.....and over the past few years have bought alot of capilene boxers

however one thing i have noticed on some of the older patagonia pieces is that they used to say Made in the USA on the patagonia neck tag and the newer pieces dont have that on there anymore as most of their stuff is made overseas now....even a company that has been envrionmentally conscious from the beginning needs make money i guess........

also the company has started using different materials to make their clothing over the years...like in the early 90s they started using this PCR fleece which is made from used plastic bottles or something so if you own anything made with PCR fleece its newer then 1993 or 94.

seenmy, papoose?

From what I've seen, most of the "vintage" Patagonia stuff on the bay is either

A. Not Vinatge

B. Ugly

or

C. Incredibly overpriced

Some fool wanted like 8 bills for a used goretex that looked like it was on the verge of delamination that couldn't have been manufactured earlier then 96/98!

Your best bet is to hit the streets and go to your local mountaineering co-op (I realize this is an impossibility for most of us) and see what type of stuff they have used. It's possible to come up on some nice older pieces this way, but the treasure may not be worth the hunt.

Depends on where you live and what exactly you're looking for. eBay will turn up some good stuff but you have to be pretty diligent about searching. I know a vintage shop in Brooklyn that has a wall of vintage Patagonia fleece and a rack of vintage Patagonia and Woolrich waterproof parkas. Most vintage Patagonia isn't worth the premium some put on it as it's fairly abundant, unless you're talking about very early sherpa fleece.

alright, i just gotta snatch some 6''ish black leather moc boots. first i found these rogues gallery joints (the black ones obv) and loved em but dont really wanna dole out the $460

roguesgalleryboot3_open.jpg

then i found these russell ones, pretty much still same thing im going for, little bulkier but still good, and cheaper, but not tons

imperial_riderslg.jpg

finally i came across the quoddy trail 'grizzly boots'. look awesome, less than half the money i started at..... they dont seem to come in black :'''''''''''''[

1003.jpg

any other help?

The grizzly boots are great, I have a sheepskin lined pair for winter and the leather is amazing.

The peope from quoddy are very friendly, so you can always mail them about options. I know a lot of their other styles come in black leather, so maybe if you ask they can do it? The only thing is that maybe you have to wait a bit longer.

Get the RGs - they are super nice. The leather is amazingly soft and they have a soft, thin rubber sole. I was surprised by how nice they are.

Those other boots you posted are completely different - the RMs have a thick leather/Vibram sole like a dress shoe and the Quoddy's have pretty much no sole (meant for walking on trails, not streets). Both can probably be custom made, but I don't know if RM will put a thin rubber boat shoe-style sole on that boot.

I say save your pennies and get the ones you want. It'll be worth it, and I don't think you'll find anything else like them. You can probably find them on sale. I know that Odin and Stuart & Wright both carry the RG boots in NYC.

If time is not a factor, I would ask Quoddy for exactly what you want. They have tons of different leathers, just ask for samples and they will arrive in the mail, like. And any combination of soles. (They make that RG boot.) And send them a foot tracing and you will have one-of-a-kind boots, made to your exact specs. And for a sight less than those RG boots.

^thanks all.

doc, i saw the RGs in odin last time i was in the city and fell in love. i heard the guy that hand makes does 12 a week.

i dont know if id go so far as to say the RM are completely different.. still more or less the same look/silhouette.. i think i will ask quoddy what can be done though, i can be patient if it means getting exactly what i want. though, after all that customizing ddml, the price might be closer to the RG joints no?

i don't think the customizing will be too much extra, in fact, i think putting on a boat sole instead of double leather will come out cheaper; they build their shoes to order for the most part anyway; i would price it out with them and see how it goes; i have heard that they have been so busy lately that their e-communication has slowed

Yeah ever since this article in some newspaper a season ago (plus the mention in GQ like a year ago)...QUoddy's ecommerce has picked up extensively (they told me this over the phone).

Dino...I am almost 1000% positive that I've seen the Quoddy jawns in black. You have to ask for it...but somewhere on the site, they have a pic of 'em. Go for the camp sole (which is the same sole that's on the RG 6" moc...and/or boat shoes) or the crepe sole. I know the camp IS cheaper than the "double leather" option or whatever...the crepe might cost an extra couple bucks...but those are the move for your soon to be city dwelling needs. I'm bout to order a pair myself.

^correct, they do come in black and they are on the site, however they bison leather. i'm sure they would make a tracker boot for you in black chromexcel leather which would most likely be much cheaper but still great quality.

and if you want them to look more like the RG, go for the boat sole, not the camp sole (which will be flat with no heel, and black/dark brown-ish).

add a pair of white rawhide laces and you should be set it seems...i think you could perhaps even ask them for natural color stitching to match the laces.

as everyone has said on here for the most part, all their shoes are basically made to order, so its not a problem for them to come up with any combo you want...just have to wait a bit longer depending on the shoe.

you may even want to try and go the ankle boot route, black chromexcel, unlined (w/o wool), boat sole? might be sweet looking...not as high though.

i just had a custom pair of bluchers made though and it only took 4 weeks. should be here tomorrow.

and if you want them to look more like the RG, go for the boat sole, not the camp sole (which will be flat with no heel, and black/dark brown-ish).

They do boat soles? I didn't even know there was a difference. Dammit.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure if I should start another thread for this or not. . .

I'm trying to find some trail boots/sneakers while I'm at this school in the mountains later this summer. Haven't found much that is a mid or high top. Looking to spend less that $150. Any help appreciated. Couple I've found:

New Balance H574 - color pretty blahhh

6220-487201-3.jpg

Nike Baltoro - never seen in person, thinking would be silly looking

311093-221.jpg

yeah but I have yet to see Any Japanese brands ever do anything larger than a size 9US. I think I've seen a size 9.5 maybe once but sold out.

Kiya opening his boot/shoe line for sale?

If you can find a size 11 or 10.5 then we in than biz. When is Kiyaopening his boot/shoe line for sale?

• 3 weeks later...

so im thinking of some of those gnarlyass lace up boots with the rubber all over the bottom half yeh know? like you always see them in a duck sorta color and the brownish rubber, i have no idea what you call them. ill be living with snow/slush for the first time in my life and thought theyd be a good bet right?

suggestions? you know which kind im talking about?