High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

Yeah, cotton outerwear is where it's at. Wool too. Look at a brands like Filson and Barbour, both still using cotton and wool more than anything.

Mountain Research gear looks alright. A little busy, but I like the styles. Sort of Stone Island, CP Co steeze, no?

I can't believe that website sells Japanese jeans called Revis. That's too much.

naval stuff is real nice the m65 is a lovely piece,Im gonna pick up the utility shirt very soon.sizing is good aswell,I found a large fitted me well in every piece i tried on,so its pretty generous for jp product.Love the mountain research ash holder aswell.

couple pics on my blog.

You read my mind on the M65

I also had my mind on the Ash Canister as a little extra. I just emailed them about sizing, but you say in the NR a large fits you across the board? Have you ever tried on any MR pieces in the same sizes? I think you and I are the same build give or take an inch or 5 lbs.

Another interesting thing...The products seem to change in price to the tune of 15% LESS when I key in my Country as USA. The shipping doubles, but the price reductions offset that significantly. Is that standard practice as of late to help out the weak dollar? If so, I've never heard of it.

Mountain Research gear looks alright. A little busy, but I like the styles. Sort of Stone Island, CP Co steeze, no?

I have trouble with some of the Anarchy branding myself (though it's tight on the Ash Cannister, I think), but the all black anorak seems free of that. plus I been dying for a good anorak since I borrowed my boy's OG North Face piece at age 16.

Waiting on some measurements.

I have trouble with some of the Anarchy branding myself (though it's tight on the Ash Cannister, I think), but the all black anorak seems free of that. plus I been dying for a good anorak since I borrowed my boy's OG North Face piece at age 16.

Waiting on some measurements.

Yeah, that definitely looks like their nicest piece of outerwear - let that waist string out a little bit. I can't get down with that branding. I like the Mackinaw too, but it looks like they didn't quite get the proportion of the cape right, strikes me as a little belly-shirtish - though I supposes it's probably detachable.

Yeah, that definitely looks like their nicest piece of outerwear - let that waist string out a little bit. I can't get down with that branding. I like the Mackinaw too, but it looks like they didn't quite get the proportion of the cape right, strikes me as a little belly-shirtish - though I supposes it's probably detachable.

Yeah..that Mackinaw one is an almost. Sadly, I can't really fuck with the red and black lumberjack anymore. Shit is too played. filson has some nice stuff in that department.

yeah i had a bunch of the stuff,for a piece i was doing MR again fitted nice in large i do also struggle with a few of the bits of branding the good thing is the leather tags come right off,I wouldnt compare this stuff in anyway to cp/SI its almost the polar oppist as cp/si are both founded on inovation through fabrics/dyeing and construction although they do draw upon military reference as a start point for most items.The frankenstein jumper is a nice piece,I loved the angor sweater shame it has the branding on as with out that it would be perfect.

yeah i had a bunch of the stuff,for a piece i was doing MR again fitted nice in large i do also struggle with a few of the bits of branding the good thing is the leather tags come right off,I wouldnt compare this stuff in anyway to cp/SI its almost the polar oppist as cp/si are both founded on inovation through fabrics/dyeing and construction although they do draw upon military reference as a start point for most items.The frankenstein jumper is a nice piece,I loved the angor sweater shame it has the branding on as with out that it would be perfect.

Not sure I see your point about them being opposites, then I know little about these brands. Some of the retro/obsolete details SI/CP incorporate in their outerwear (built in goggles, sleeve watch window) remind me of MR styling, also their use of cotton and leather. I realize that the brands' histories and not related.

I'm actually really feeling some of the GS stuff on that site, particularly the Stub Pocket Shirt and Government Chinos - in navy nonetheless. Could be trouble.

Any experience with GS goods? Fit, quality/price ratio, etc.?

EDIT: Looks like those Chinos are sold out. Anyone know if they'll be restocked, out found somewhere else? I supposed I could email GS...

well down to materials/production methods the two brands are very different,if you picked up a jacket from each you wouldnt find a likeness in my opinion.

I not seen any general research stuff in person as theline was discontinued in 06,id like to see some of the newsboy research stuff in person.

yeah well it started in 94 as general research and then from 06 they started these focused research projects mountain/naval/newsboy which they just release as a collection as and when they feel its ready,not seasonal which is the interesting thing about the brand and something that drew me to it as its a different approach.

all garbstore gear is really nicely put together,I had the pleasure of having a good hour in the store with owner/designer Ian and he took me through each piece, theres great attention to detail throughout a great thing in all the pants is the saville row waist band which has like a rubber band in it so it clings to your waist and dosent fall down as easy.thier plant indigo jeans are very nice and thier plain grey sweats look and feel great.the store looks good and is full of great product and each piece has unique details or a story attatched to why it is like it is.like thier schol jumpers which are produced in the only factory still producing that style of school jumper in the uk.

I don't like those at all. ^^^

Trying to hook up with a proxy to scoop some general research on Y!jp, but having little luck at the moment. Got emails to Jake, 2000db's rec "proxMe", and Juno. Hopefully someone comes through..

Also thinking seriously about the Mountain Research Anorak from Garbstore

http://garbstore.com/product/?productID=1053&imgVarID=1089

I love that it's cotton, and that it has leather detailing. I appreciate the functionality of newer tech fabric innovations, but sometimes I get bored of the whole "Goretex 4.0" thing ya know?

Just gotta get some sizing from them. Then again, the Naval research stuff is supposed to come in any day now, so I might hold off for a week or so.

Thanks to Seenmy and Gem art (I think?) for the link on this.

Do you know what size you're looking for Wolves? I've got the Anorak in medium, if you want some fit pics let me know and I'll bring it out of its summer retirement...

From my experience quality on general research(?) stuff is top notch. I only own one tee myself, but a japanese friend of mine has several pieces and as I was complementing on those he said the quality is also very good, his pants for example were 10years~ old and still in great condition.

Their shop in nakameguro was also nice, eventhough they really didnt have much stock left. Service was excellent: I needed to find Margiela store in Ebisu and asked for an advice, dude went to backroom and printed a map + pic of the store, and spent like five minutes explaining where to turn left etc..

Just lost a Y!Jp auction on some 10 yr old General research pants. Pist.

Gem art, yeah. post those fit pics please. I'm looking at a large but it seems like their stuff runs fairly big for Japanese brands. How tall are you?

178cm (5' 10'' and a bit...) I take a large in Visvim jackets if that helps, all the bits of MR I own are medium.

178cm (5' 10'' and a bit...) I take a large in Visvim jackets if that helps, all the bits of MR I own are medium.

Those things seem t run long, but I don't know, It might be a bit short in the arms for me at 6'3". PM some fit pics when you can man...

And Gnar, I couldn't believe it either. I'm heated. I really thought I would win em. My max with proxy fees and shipping was 250. I thought that would be more than enough to cover it. The good thing is that there seems to be a lot of it available in M and L tops and bottoms, so I'll keep my eyes out.

Waiting for next week to see what naval research Garbstore gets in. If they have that M65 for under 5 bills I might go for that instead of the Anorak.

Is general research (as in that Meiji-dori dive) one and the same as mountain research? That Mountain Research shit looks the biz but I never thought of general research as being that quality, just cheapish M65's and whatnot. I have a pair of ancient General Research flip flops with pot leaves screened on the footbeds, they were like 1500Y or something.

edit- I should add that General Research always gave me similar vibes to something like Complete Finesse or labels like that. (what ever happened to Complete Finesse anyway?)

The sleeves are quite long for a medium but given that you're six three I think that you'll need the large.

The jacket certainly has a sheen to it but it's not waxed. I thought that this might be due to it being a polycotton blend. Having checked the label which says 100% cotton this isn't the case. The sheen is probably due to the tightness of the weave, (kind of like ventile) either that or it's been mercerized.