Picking one look and staying with it or ?

homi29

I sense that theres two main groups of individuals

1) The ones who select a certain style and run with it. Most if not all their clothing is congruent with their identity in general

see : Chris, cotton duck, Milspex, Still etc

2) Those who pick and choose and buy certain pieces as they see fit. I'd fit in this category. These people tend to avoid harsh extremes and buy pieces that are versatile or at least dress differently on occasion (work, weekends etc)

just wondering if you try to keep your style congruent, or do you try to make different types of clothes fit in

I think my style is pretty consistent with my identity, but I do wear different stuff on weekends and things, but I also try and work in some special/really extreme pieces into my wardrobe. I really love the stuff that's really out there and fun, though, so when I wear my stuff like that, I go all out. Like one example of a piece I really love to work is pair of Dries Van Noten silver leather lace ups, I love how they look.

=]

I love dressing like no one else does, I think it's part of the spice of life

- Ben

I like being somewhat consistent, but where I am and where I want to be is not the same at the moment, I'd say almost completely due to being poor.

but ideally maybe like

skate / streetwear + neu rave / frute swagz aussie + gothninja = ?

Fashion will always change. So staying ahead of fashion is only gonna make a man like me broke and sad. So I went into superfuture with heavy emphasis on trying to maintain a timeless yet subtly unique wardrobe.

Also, the best you can do to stay fashionable is to make what you wear look good, such as improving yourself. Get fit, be a fun person, be interested as well as interesting, and struggle for success and happiness. Although fashion as an industry and as an art is about outer aesthetics, it changes and is influenced when percieved on a personal, intimate level. Personal relationships, public perception and cultural attitudes change the context of how one is percieved.

So my approach to fashion is that (much like a good portrait) one's outward appearance should be an indication of who one is whollistically (personality, health, beliefs, preferences, interests). I want my fashion to stem from that.

I want to grow but not to be molded. I want my changes in fashion to lead and stack into something more consistently reflecting who I am... rather than become a mirror or chameleon damned to forever changing due to fickle trends and mercurial fads. I want it to mean something, to be functional according to what I do and recognizable according to the context of life that I lead. I'd rather be a Fred Astaire than a Madonna or Elton John.

So my approach to fashion is that (much like a good portrait) one's outward appearance should be an indication of who one is whollistically (personality, health, beliefs, preferences, interests). I want my fashion to stem from that.

I want to grow but not to be molded.

Very well said. This is similar to how I approach fashion as well. However, I still enjoy trying new styles..

Well said, Masuerte, but dont forget that fashion and adornment can also help you BECOME something you idealize. sort of a visualization of your superself. you dont want to be molded, i presume by others, but you can also 'mold' yourself. thats my approach atleast..

Not sure about the whole the way you dress = congruent with identity but I agree that it seems that many people are split into the two categories. I see it more as a hypebeast vs high fashion thing with a few people mixing supreme and CCP, etc.

Maybe the majority on this board... which I suppose is condusive to the market-driven nature of superfuture, looks have to go out of style to sell the new steez. The best looks in my opinion tend to be the combinations of lifestyle/music scene based ones, which change a lot less frequently so can't really be broken down into brands (though I suppose in a way the look itself a brand).

Essentially what I'm trying to say is wearing just a couple of brands or only "hip-hop" or "emo" clothes will often make you look like a sheep or a bandwagon jumper, while incorporating elements you like from different influences, from thrift-stores to Vuitton, will make you look fresh as fuck.

Well said, Masuerte, but dont forget that fashion and adornment can also help you BECOME something you idealize. sort of a visualization of your superself. you dont want to be molded, i presume by others, but you can also 'mold' yourself. thats my approach atleast..

Of course! I mean... all influences and inspiration usually come from "outside' and I have no problem with that. When I say "molded" I should have repeated my earlier distinction on influences that I deemed as fleeting/shallow versus those with a more consistent and deep effect on one's self. And these kinds of influences are all dependent on one's personality, on how one approaches inspiration.

Take for example superfuture... some might approach superfuture as a simple resource, or a momentary glimpse into other's style but I've tried to become part of a community of people with lasting relationships through superfuture. So to me, although it seems like it's just a website... or forum... to me superfuture has had a big part of helping me augment myself.

And also, although I said that I would not want to be chameleon-like... I don't find a problem with that... I just wanted to point out that it is not what I myself want to be. I try actively to grow into a consistent person who contributes to others and to general society and culture as much as I am contributed to.

Im making my way towards #1.

I can still be found wearing loud dunks and new standards or something on the weekends when Im lounging around at home, though.

My style is whatever I like. If I see something new then I try it. I wanted to get raw denim so after looking at all the sufu pictures awhile ago I went with it. Then again, I don't know my boundaries sometimes. I wanted to get more casual and laid back clothes. I decided to get a couple hipster looking shirts, when I got home realized that everything looked wierd and had to return everything. I try to stay to myself, but then I like to change stuff. I try to bring everything to the next level and improve my style.