Best of Chicago

Nobody

Hello.

Wondering if any of you might shed some light on the best Chicago neighbourhoods.

Including housing, restaurants, shopping, public transportaion, centralized location, etc...

...Where's the best place to live in Chicago?

Thanks!

The Rabbit Of Seville

Hey,

I'll try to shed a little insight on the city.

The hip neighborhoods to live in are Lincoln Park, wriglyville, buck town, or gold coast. It all depends on what you are looking for (views, night life, sports?)

There is a handful of good boutiques in the city and any department store you want.

Public transportation there is an el train, metra and buses.

Chicago has some of the best restaurants in the country, anything you could ask for.

Hope this helps

Rockn,

Thanks for the help with the neighbourhoods. It's a lot of help actually...

Which of these are most densely populated/dense/expansive?

It would be cool to find something that's culturally robust (although proximity to sporting events isn't super-essential). shoeraider, too. Good looking out...

Do any of you guys live there?

Keep that advice coming!!!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply so far...

Rockn, a couple more questions:

-Which of these neighbourhoods are the largest/most diverse?

It would be nice to find something that is the most culturally robust and proximity to sporting arenas is low on the priority list.

shoeraider, I've bookmarked your website and I'll keep checking in.

Do any of you guys live there?

Thank you and keep the advice coming!

The Rabbit Of Seville

Don't forget the South Loop, Streeterville, and New Eastside.

The South Loop is an area rapidly turning from old warehouses into a liveable neighborhood of skyscrapers.

Streeterville is one of the city's fastest growing neighborhoods according to recent articles in the Tribune, and the views are great.

Then there's the New Eastside, which sprang up in the 60's and 70's, then was quiet for a long time. Now it's gotten two new residential towers, three more are under construction, and 12 more are planned for the next few years. This are is one of the mayor's special projects.

Reaperducer,

Sounds like you're a familiar...

All the neighbourhoods you mention sound like up-and-comers...

We're looking for like greystones or brownstones, something with character...high-rises won't really fit the bill...

What do you think of the other zones recommended previously like Buck Town and West Loop and the like?

I've heard Chi-town is kind of harsh so I'm not trying to be a pioneer or anything...

That being said, I really am intersested in the direction you've mentioned.

Just trying to find a dope neighbourhood.

Keep it coming, fellas!

The Rabbit Of Seville

>> Here is the lowdown on chicago neighborhoods:

Loop: not even a neighborhood. chicago's central business district...basically, the skyline that you see in every pic of the city. if you work here, then proximity to this area is important, but otherwise, boring.

South Loop: industrial spaces have been transformed into luxury lofts and high rises have gone up all over this area recently. close to the loop with good access to the el transit system. some restaurants, close to the lake, but like the loop, pretty boring.

Near North/Streeterville/Gold Coast: north of the loop. also close to the loop, but more of the same. lots of chainstore shopping, rainforest cafe, etc. high-priced and full of tourists (michigan avenue is here). one of my best friends lives here and pays $900/month for a studio in a luxury high rise......i have no idea why.

Lincoln Park: north. very nice housing here. lots of walk-ups and brownstones. close to the park, the lake, and beaches. this area is a mix of families with $ and the khaki/frat by crowd. very accessible to the el. a lot of restaurants, bars, and shopping, but a lot of it is pretty regular. the bar/clun scene makes me feel like i'm on a college campus. traffic and parking here is terrible.

Lakeview: north of lincoln park. mix of housing types, and diverse. takes the area around wrigley field, known as wrigleyville, which is pretty frat with lots of sports bars. however, to the east, is the gayest area of the city, Boystown. overall, this neighborhood is diverse and has a good amount of entertainment options.

Logan Sqaure: northwest of the loop. nice brownstones and cheap rents have made this latino area popular lately. the el blue line makes a couple stops in this neighborhood, giving it good access to downtown and wicker park. lots of food spots, some bars, but no good shops have yet to come into this hood.

Bucktown: northwest of the loop. used to be a lot like wicker park to the south, but prices have gone way up, and this area is getting way too trying-to-be-trendy for my tastes. lots of teardowns for new faux lofts. lots of restaurants and shopping.

Wicker Park: i don't who is calling this area the up and coming. you are about 10 years behind. wicker park was cheap, gritty, and getting established in the early 90s, but now it has definitely become the place to eat, shop, and hangout. tons of independent shops, food spots, and bars around the epicenter at milwaukee ave/damen/north ave intersection, and division st between ashland and leavitt. brownstones and victorian homes. el blue line stops at western, damen, and division. this area is hip, but i know a lot of the real artists have moved south to ukrainian village and west to humboldt park for cheaper rents. i spend most of my time here and in the ukrainian/east village.

Ukrainian Village/East Village: nice housing that is like wicker park. cheaper the farther you get from wicker, and also a little bit isolated from the el in parts. neighborhood eats, bars, and some hip shops, all that have yet to really be invaded by visitors from other hoods.

Humboldt Park: area to the west of wicker park and ukrainian village. this is the neighborhood that i would look to as a possible area that could become something. a little rough, but there are a lot of nice graystones, close to the huge, nice park, and very cheap. a lot of good, cheap food spots. isolated from the el, but bus lines on every major street.

>> Here is the lowdown on chicago neighborhoods:

Loop: not even a neighborhood. chicago's central business district...basically, the skyline that you see in every pic of the city. if you work here, then proximity to this area is important, but otherwise, boring.

South Loop: industrial spaces have been transformed into luxury lofts and high rises have gone up all over this area recently. close to the loop with good access to the el transit system. some restaurants, close to the lake, but like the loop, pretty boring.

Near North/Streeterville/Gold Coast: north of the loop. also close to the loop, but more of the same. lots of chainstore shopping, rainforest cafe, etc. high-priced and full of tourists (michigan avenue is here). one of my best friends lives here and pays $900/month for a studio in a luxury high rise......i have no idea why.

Lincoln Park: north. very nice housing here. lots of walk-ups and brownstones. clost to the park, the lake, and beaches. this area is a mix of families with $ and the khaki/frat by crowd. very accessible to the el. a lot of restaurants, bars, and shopping, but a lot of it is pretty regular. the bar/clun scene makes me feel like i'm on a college campus. traffic and parking here is terrible.

Lakeview: north of lincoln park. mix of housing types, and diverse. takes the area around wrigley field, known as wrigleyville, which is pretty frat with lots of sports bars. however, to the east, is the gayest area of the city, Boystown. overall, this neighborhood is diverse and has a good amount of entertainment options.

Logan Sqaure: northwest of the loop. nice brownstones and cheap rents have made this latino area popular lately. the el blue line makes a couple stops in this neighborhood, giving it good access to downtown and wicker park. lots of food spots, some bars, but no good shops have yet to come into this hood.

Bucktown: northwest of the loop. used to be a lot like wicker park to the south, but prices have gone way up, and this area is getting way too trying-to-be-trendy for my tastes. lots of teardowns for new faux lofts. lots of restaurants and shopping.

Wicker Park: i don't who is calling this area the up and coming. you are about 10 years behind. wicker park was cheap, gritty, and getting established in the early 90s, but now it has definitely become the place to eat, shop, and hangout. tons of independent shops, food spots, and bars around the epicenter at milwaukee ave/damen/north ave intersection, and division st between ashland and leavitt. brownstones and victorian homes. el blue line stops at western, damen, and division. this area is hip, but i know a lot of the real artists have moved south to ukrainian village and west to humboldt park for cheaper rents. i spend most of my time here and in the ukrainian/east village.

Ukrainian Village/East Village: nice housing that is like wicker park. cheaper the farther you get from wicker, and also a little bit isolated from the el in parts. neighborhood eats, bars, and some hip shops, all that have yet to really be invaded by visitors from other hoods.

Humboldt Park: area to the west of wicker park and ukrainian village. this is the neighborhood that i would look to as a possible area that could become something. a little rough, but there are a lot of nice graystones, close to the huge, nice park, and very cheap. a lot of good, cheap food spots. isolated from the el, but bus lines on every major street.