2nd trip to China, help me make it better?

Madhattan

In 2003, I spent a month in Hong Kong. I had an amazing time. The problem was that when I got home (NYC), I noticed that all of the clothing I got there, I could find here. I did buy a Euro Carhartt jacket there, but its not Chinese.

This winter, I will be in Shanghai for 2 weeks, Beijing for 4 days, and Hong Kong for 1 week. What are some interesting shops or brands that are things that I can not find in Manhattan?

I will be staying with friends for the whole trip, so I got sight seeing, food, clubs, etc pretty much covered. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

In 2003, I spent a month in Hong Kong. I had an amazing time. The problem was that when I got home (NYC), I noticed that all of the clothing I got there, I could find here. I did buy a Euro Carhartt jacket there, but its not Chinese.

This winter, I will be in Shanghai for 2 weeks, Beijing for 4 days, and Hong Kong for 1 week. What are some interesting shops or brands that are things that I can not find in Manhattan?

I will be staying with friends for the whole trip, so I got sight seeing, food, clubs, etc pretty much covered. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Damn, this is superfuture after all. i'd recommend Shanghai Tang, but they got that in ny too. There are a few other stores in hong kong that offers pretty good stuffs like hare or indu homme. They do similar styles (some say knock offs) of dior homme. And maybe take5 for raw denims?

What kind of stuff are you looking to buy? If you want something that is inherently and exclusively "chinese" then chances are pretty high that it will suck in terms of quality and design will either be gaudy or a western ripoff.

Shanghai and Beijing don't really have any brands that can compete on an international level so if you're looking for Japanese level clothing you're probably better off buying in Hong Kong.

they have ann dem in US. Undercover too, but i guess its cheaper in HK. Where can I find them at in HK? Joyce in Central?

ANN DEM AND UNDERCOVER BOUTIQUES

YOU DING DONG

Posted this in another thread:

Bars/clubs

Clubs in Shanghai typically play boring hip hop, if you're into that you'll enjoy yourself at places like guandii, it's a bit harder to find places with good electronic music

People 7 on 巨鹿路 (julu rd.) close to 茂名路 (maoming rd.). One of the most amazing bar i've ever been to, the bar itself is hidden so you might have some trouble finding it and when you eventually find the entrance you have to press the right lanterns to get in, truly esoteric: http://www.designity.net/foto/china/cool-restaurants/shintori-pub-enter.jpg, make sure you order the "people firefly".

Bar rouge - One of shanghai's best views from the top of one of the buildings on bund, good dj's and great parties.

DKD (decadence cures depression) - Good if you're into tech-house.

Bon Bon - Usually has an open bar for 80-150 yuan, which means you can get totally trashed for a fairly cheap price. Check out their webpage and see if they've booked anything you like listening to.

Skybars

There's one in radisson hotel (the UFO-building) and one in the Jinmao tower.

Shopping

Check out plaza 66 if you got the cash, they have all the expensive designer brands. Stay away from Nanjing road if you're not into buying the same stuff you can get at home at for about the same.

The really interresting shopping is in the french concession where you can find lot's of brands you've probably never heard (most of them from hong kong or japan) in smaller shops. If you just walk around here for one day you'll find everything from good copies of brands like dior and prada to really crazy chinese fashion. Check out 茂名路 (maoming road), it has lot's of small shops with great clothes. Oh, and check out 5 cm, my favourite hong kong brand.

Food

Real Chinese food is not something that few foreigners like when they first taste it, but there's a few provinces where people eat food that's really really tasty.

新疆 (xinjiang) - Food from the western province is spicy and tasty, lot's of oil and especially lot's of niurou (lamb meat). The guys selling the kebab-sticks all over town are all from Xinjiang and are uigur. Can't remember any restaurant but just try out any place that has their signs written in arabic.

湖南 (hunan) - Fantastic spicy food, a little less spicy then sichuan food and a little more tasty. There's a great restaurant on 陕西路 (shanxi road), close to 茂名路 (maoming road).

云南 (yunnan)- food from the southern province where most of the minorities in china live, so fucking good.

Japanese - you can get some great japanese food in Shanghai, it's usually all you can eat/drink for 100-150 yuan. My favorite place is Shintori, the food is great and the interior is amazing: http://www.designity.net/foto/china/cool-restaurants/shintori-restaurant.jpg there's lots of other japanese restaurants in the french concession.

Anyway, shopping in shanghai is great, but sometimes frustrating. The best shops are small and usually has a very random supply of clothes...The best chinese brands are all from hong kong by the way, but you can get most of them in Shanghai as well.

design your own clothes and get them made. i got a long chinese overcoat made in beijing...

hey, i'm asian, but i fail at cantonese, and don't know a word of mandarin. would i get gyped (robbed like non-asians at pacific mall stores)? :(

also, how much did that cost you? how long did it take? interactive designing or did you just draw out a prospective picture and discuss fitment? thanks in advance :)

design your own clothes and get them made. i got a long chinese overcoat made in beijing.

440q9fk.jpg

shanghai has a lot of firetrap for some reason (probably make it there since i didn't see it much elsewhere). some random japanese brands like in the attic if you look really hard.

if you can pull off the look, this is probably something cool to do.

there's also a fabric market in Shanghai (forgot the name) with crappy ass tailors in some stalls and better ones in others. you need a good recommendation here from someone who knows the score. basically you get to pick a fabric and design your own piece, whether its a chinese style coat or a peacoat etc. i hesitate to recommend this because i had crap the last time i did it. still, was fun cos its pretty much dirt cheap and you get to design it your way. their cuts etc are all from old pattern books and they'll probably think every white guy wants an armani suit though. if you're lucky, you might get a lovely one of a kind piece. you just need to be really sure about what you want. its better if you have something to let them copy from, like a real shirt. communicating to the tailors is hard even for someone who speaks chinese.

in HK. shop till you drop. if you got the money, its got the best of the east and west.

in beijing, enjoy the cultural experiences and watch as communism collides with capitalism in all its glory.

if you go to the other parts of china, i'd recommend hangzhou (just outside shanghai), yunnan (southern part) and zhejiang for nature and culture lovin.

I'm in Chengdu at the moment. The girls here all have huge nehneh, and are very pretty. no good for supergays though.

Is chengdu pretty much the main attraction in sichuan?(i am aware that it is the capital)

what are the highlights in a superfuture sense?(besides the girls)

Go bespoke! Get recommendations for good tailors in China. I would love to get a good custom made pair of leather shoes there.

Forget about imported brands. You may want to aim for China brands. Get Chinese art and antiques. Heard some are like sleeper stuff. Get them cheap, sell them 5 years later and retire for good.

Do you know where they are located? Thanks in advance, ping pong

Ann Dem is at On Lan Street which is next to Margiela which is next to CDG which are all opposite D-Mop. The street is adjacent to Twist and behind Joyce Central.

Oh yes, Joyce at Pacific Place seems to be the only Joyce boutique of the Joyce chain to carry Ann Dem.

Knock yourself out.

Is chengdu pretty much the main attraction in sichuan?(i am aware that it is the capital)

what are the highlights in a superfuture sense?(besides the girls)

Yes, if you're talking about city life. It's pretty much the standout of western/northern China in terms of government money invested for international tourist and business success. But it's pretty much a cut and paste Chinese city in that sense, with fairly generic shopping.

There's a lot of naturey attractions though. Dujianye is a national heritage area near here, gorgeous scenery. There's some more places about an hour's drive away from Chengdu that are in teh same vein. + pandas.

Superfuture sense.. xcoldricex said it, nothing really stands out. prices and choice are better in HK, though tailor made stuff is cheap, and they do a pretty good job if you're specific. Clubbing wise, go local.

It's friendly, but main attractions are girls and food.

Bought a shirt from a Chinese brand: Daidoh, by Newyorker.

Also had a few shirts sewn ... (3days)

And a Jacket (pure cashmere) (4days)

All from current favorite moddels, with minor alterations:D