im Traveling to London and Paris, what are you favorite places there?

azymuth

hey just trying to pick some of your brains as to what to do when im there with my woman. Any info is much appreciated... any personal favorite spots are great...

mostly-

any website with good info on the two cities

restaurants

galleries

clubs/bars (house, techno, dnb, jazz, downtempo)

record shops (cratedigging jazz and rock , new release house/electro etc)

shopping

arcades (old school style)

thanks alot! feel free to tell me whatever you like!

<center>"check out the face on my watch, put your face on my crotch" </center>

for shoppingi liked it and others rave about colette in paris

check out the site colette.fr

the site does not say much about what is in the store

just go there!

my name was never a problem until that no talent ass clown starting winning grammies

in london there is a place called rokit

supposed to be like beacon's closet

but i would imagine you will find

much different stuff there than at beacons

my name was never a problem until that no talent ass clown starting winning grammies

Quote:

for shoppingi liked it and others rave about colette in paris

check out the site colette.fr

the site does not say much about what is in the store

just go there!

--- Original message by xlrn8 on Jun 18, 2004 08:04 AM

colette's okay, i was used to the old and fabulously designed joyce boutique in hong kong and colette's just a shadow of what joyce used to be (joyce scaled down tremendously after the asian crisis). you can walk around from colette and the scene can get pretty boring after a while. it's so "commercial".

in paris i find it interesting to check the 6th district, just take the metro, no. 12, to sèvres babylone, then walk along rue de sèvres and to the direction of place st. germaine des pres, where the church there is a landmark, towards this intersection of streets, look out for landmark of this contemporary bronze statue of a man on horseback, and this favourite cafe of mine, bar de la croix rouge.

any which street you'll take from this point will bring you to some pretty amazing boutiques and interesting discoveries, and from that point on, you can just walk and discover more as you go along.

i adore this area - it's my stomping ground and not far from st germaine des pres - the heart of galleries, and where spirits of parisien writers and artists of yore linger about - for a cuppa café.

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

Quote:

beacons and rokit are record shops? ill take a look online.. thanks for the info! keep it coming

--- Original message by azymuth on Jun 18, 2004 08:11 AM

becon's closet is not a record shop, they have records

but you take clothes there for money and you buy clothes

good vintage gear and good modern labels too like Cloak

you can also find cool levi's everyonce in a while

and if you are into cowboy boots you might get lucky too

i'm bored with paris, i'm kind of negative about everything, especially Cotelette and all that stuff...

but there are always hidden secret places to discover, like the place where they rent (or sell?) stuffed animals, rue du Bac! (42 I think) and the private Japanese bar...

okay this is what i can think of ...

Check out Bimbo Tower if you're into weird Japanese records and hand made comic books. It's near Bastille/Charonne, google it for the address.

Pierre Hermé's macarons and pastries (next to YSL at St Sulpice) are the big hype at the moment (he makes sweets with truffles, avocados, balsamic vinegar, etc... very un-French but very French).

For going out, check vodkacoca.com (there is an xml feed too), they have the most elite selection for art openings, concerts and clubbing :)

I found a place where journalists come and sell the free stuff they get from brands... like new armani sunglasses (new collection) for 60€... i forgot the address but if you're interested i can find it.

what a pathetic selection - i should continue later

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but as for fashion shopping in London:

Bond St (Prada, Gucci, DK, LV, RL, MiuMiu, Asprey, CK, Joseph etc. with Smeadly, Paul Smith Sales shop, UTH and SpaceNK around Avery Row.) -- you also have pretty much same store on Sloane Ave. But Bond St is more convenient nearer to Soho, Selfridges and Liberty, nearby stores like Yohji, Mandarina Duck, Conran Store (all on Conduit St) and Saville Row (the bespoke mekka, with French Kilgury, Richard James, Gieves&Hawks + the best Jil Sander store on the planet).

Don't forget Waterstones (the picadilly branch, just south of Bond St) the largest bookstore in UK. If you're into art/photography books - then Shipley's Charing Cross Rd is the supplyer of choice. They've delivered books for me the last ten years on three continents. The hipper, more urban Magma is on Earlham St nr Covent Gdn or Clerkenwell Rd.

Around Covent Gdn you'll find Paul Smith (3 stores + Jeans), Camper, Agnes B, Jones, Maharashi, Nichole Farhi, Tiger on Floral St. On Long Acre, Neal St and Endell St. you'll find Rough Trade (records in basement), Diesel, Urban Outfitters, Carhartt, Bodum, Size?, Duffer of St George.

Northern Soho around Carnaby/Beak/Marsh Sts is where you head for streetwear like Bape, Size?, Base, Puma, CP Company + Stone Island. Especially New/Marsh St is cluttered with local labels I can't keep track of.

As for department stores I stick with more contemporary Selfridges but Harvey Nicks have a similar collection. The sales are better at Selfridges but HN excel in ladieswear. Harrods is a mess.

The other shopping hub would be out in Notting Hill around Westbourne Grv/Portabello Rd (Joseph, Agnes B, Paul Smith's Kensington House, Laundry Industry and APC).

I can give you a similar overview of bars + restaurants but you'll have to be more specific....

wow, hey fanks!

as far as bars-

looking for some smaller places that might have DJs, jazz, house, downtempo. anything kind of new and fresh/exciting. what are the places that are "in" right now.

restaurants-

anything thats noted locally, just like your fav place, across any cuisine really, asian, indian, traditional, pizza. whatever is good. go ahead and exclude anyplace with entrees over the 30 dollar mark, probably wont be cost effective for us.

thanks a million!

Quote:

thanks isla, thats the type of info i was lookin for. appreciate it. still reading so keep em coming!

--- Original message by azymuth on Jun 18, 2004 10:12 AM

your signature leaves much to the imagination ... "face on my crotch" indeedy icon_smile_big.gif

ahh, so if you're into that kind of info, then would suggest, depending on how long you're spending in paris, the following places and scene for now (make sure you get a paris map booklet and an accompanying one, the guide des autobus parisiens for exact direction - you can buy these off any magazine stand):

6th district - from sèvres babylone, you cover the areas around the church - saint sulpice. actually from place saint suplice, you'll see a yves saint laurent boutique, the little street next to it (can't remember if its rue canettes) will lead you to several streets with all these little restaurants and cafes worth checking out - and reasonably priced; from saint sulplice, you can make your way towards saint germaine des pres, and if you walk towards rue de seine at the intersection of rue de buci, you can come across the flower market place and quick eats. this area is worth exploring, and actually the route from saint sulpice to here is a great walk for couples as there's so much to check out along the way.

for a reasonable dinner with a cavern like ambience, you can try le petit prince de paris, located at 12, rue de lanneau, paris 5 (tel: 01 43 54 77 26). i love the food here! and for the price it wasn't bad, even in the company of french aristocrats, probably around €15-20 a head, depending on whether you have wine. it's a compact place, so you do have to make a reservation. you can make your way here from rue de buci heading pass the university area and the sorbonne university.

12th district - this is the bastille area, and also a hang-out for mainly music and up-coming designer types. if you take the metro 8 direction créteil préfecture, get off at bastille station, and exit rue du faubourg saint antoine (although i would bus it from the church at saint germaine across boulevard saint germaine and take bus 87 direction porte de reuilly until bastille).

you can't go wrong checking the scene out along rue de faubourg saint antoine, there's a few clubs on opposite sides of the street, and some record shops too, but mainly for djs. in the early morning, a super open air market place happens just as you turn into rue crozatier and left into place d'aligre.

two eats worth checking out in this area the comme cochons at 135, rue de charenton, paris 12, (tel: 01 43 42 43 36), and the china club at 50, rue de charenton, paris 12 (tel: 01 43 43 82 02) - the china club also has a jazz bar and if you read french, the acts are listed in their website: http://www.chinaclub.cc

the last bit of info from me on this district would be the viaduc des arts along avenue daumenils. (http://www.viaduc-des-arts.com/english/index_eng.htm). this used to be an overpass railway bridge but now houses some interesting outlets focusing on arts and crafts. above the viaduc is a beautiful walk that stretches quite a bit and is worth exploring with someone special.

et voila!

Quote:

thanks isla, thats the type of info i was lookin for. appreciate it. still reading so keep em coming!

--- Original message by azymuth on Jun 18, 2004 10:12 AM

your signature leaves much to the imagination ... "face on my crotch" indeedy icon_smile_big.gif

ahh, so if you're into that kind of info, then would suggest, depending on how long you're spending in paris, the following places and scene for now (make sure you get a paris map booklet and an accompanying one, the guide des autobus parisiens for exact direction - you can buy these off any magazine stand):

6th district - from sèvres babylone, you cover the areas around the church - saint sulpice. actually from place saint suplice, you'll see a yves saint laurent boutique, the little street next to it (can't remember if its rue canettes) will lead you to several streets with all these little restaurants and cafes worth checking out - and reasonably priced; from saint sulplice, you can make your way towards saint germaine des pres, and if you walk towards rue de seine at the intersection of rue de buci, you can come across the market place and quick eats. this area is worth exploring, and actually the route from saint sulpice to here is a great walk for couples as there's so much to check out along the way.

for a reasonable dinner with a cavern like ambience, you can try le petit prince de paris, located at 12, rue de lanneau, paris 5 (tel: 01 43 54 77 26). i love the food here! and for the price it wasn't bad, even in the company of french aristocrats, probably around €15-20 a head, depending on whether you have wine. it's a compact place, so you do have to make a reservation. you can make your way here from rue de buci heading pass the university area and the sorbonne university.

12th district - this is the bastille area, and also a hang-out for mainly music and up-coming designer types. if you take the metro 8 direction créteil préfecture, get off at bastille station, and exit rue du faubourg saint antoine (although i would bus it from the church at saint germaine across boulevard saint germaine and take bus 87 direction porte de reuilly until bastille).

you can't go wrong checking the scene out along rue de faubourg saint antoine, there's a few clubs on opposite sides of the street, and some record shops too, but mainly for djs. in the early morning, a super open air market place happens just as you turn into rue crozatier and left into place d'aligre.

two eats worth checking out in this area the comme cochons at 135, rue de charenton, paris 12, (tel: 01 43 42 43 36), and the china club at 50, rue de charenton, paris 12 (tel: 01 43 43 82 02) - the china club also has a jazz bar and if you read french, the acts are listed in their website: http://www.chinaclub.cc

the last bit of info from me on this district would be the viaduc des arts along avenue daumenils. (http://www.viaduc-des-arts.com/english/index_eng.htm). this used to be an overpass railway bridge but now houses some interesting outlets focusing on arts and crafts. above the viaduc is a beautiful walk that stretches quite a bit and is worth exploring with someone special.

et voila!

--isla maia

As for great museums and cultural institutes , don't miss out on these lesser known gems in Paris:

Fondation Cartier

http://www.fondation.cartier.fr

Institut du Monde arabe

http://www.imarabe.org

Maison de la Culture du Japon

http://www.mcjp.asso.fr

Musée Picasso

www.musee-picasso.fr

Quote:

As for great museums and cultural institutes , don't miss out on these lesser known gems in Paris:

Fondation Cartier

http://www.fondation.cartier.fr

Institut du Monde arabe

http://www.imarabe.org

Maison de la Culture du Japon

http://www.mcjp.asso.fr

Musée Picasso

www.musee-picasso.fr

--- Original message by andreas on Jun 23, 2004 08:40 AM

now if they could only be within walking distance from each other icon_smile_wink.gif

i adore paris!

--isla maia

excellent, more paris info than i could have hoped for! appreciate it much. still still still checking responses, if anyone at all has any insights into galleries, that would be great.

thanks

Quote:

excellent, more paris info than i could have hoped for! appreciate it much. still still still checking responses, if anyone at all has any insights into galleries, that would be great.

thanks

--- Original message by azymuth on Jun 24, 2004 03:50 PM

galleries are in the 6th district, from place st. germaine des pres, the church on your right, les deux margots on your left, go along rue bonaparte, the streets to the right from there will lead you to numerous galleries and antique shops.

if you have a bigger budget or are into the more fabulously sophisticated stuff, the 8th district is key. this is where high fashion is located and the top antique stores and galleries. you can take the metro 1 or 12 and get off at champs elysées clemenceau, exit towards avenue de marigny (the president of france holds office at palais de l'elysées and you'll see gendarmes stationed strategically at certain points in the area; the prime minister of france holds office in the 7th along rue de varenne in hôtel matignon, down from musée rodin, and gendermes are also visible in this area), and just walk along that road until you get to place beauvad, where again you'll be confronted by a choice of streets all leading to some interesting discoveries with galleris, antique stores and high fashion. if you choose from here rue du faubourg saint honoré, you'll be walking along on the world's most famous street that has all the lables making the runway in haute couture in paris these days.

there's an antique shop that's rather outstanding, you should check it out just to get a feel of what it's like to be in a luxurious chateau as they usually do their galleries up with actual pieces from these superb castles, the ceiling in this place is exceptionally high so it can even house actual wall panellings in antique fabrics. every piece in that area is well researched by the owner and his son so if you encounter them, you're lucky as you'll be treated to a bit of french history! it's bernard baruch steinitz, located 9, rue du cirque, paris 8.

if you get to paris in september, a bi-annual exhibition of antiques is usually held in the carrousel du louvre, known as the biennale des antiquaires (see http://www.antiquaires-sna.com/). i always find visiting these places an education as the people are great story-tellers and know with such passion and enthusiasm, the history of a piece of antique or the experience of an artist as s/he executes work that eventually reach their hands. you'll have to engage them in a lively conversation though.

for more tourist information and happenings for the period you'll in paris, you can always check out: http://www.pariscope.fr

i know london and milan well too, but much prefer paris as it's still very european to me and doesn't quite give me the culture shock of figuring out if i'm back in hong kong or somewhere in karachi. icon_smile_big.gif

have fun!

Quote:

thanks

--- Original message by azymuth on Jun 24, 2004 03:50 PM

galleries are in the 6th district, from place st. germaine des pres, the church on your right, les deux margots on your left, go along rue bonaparte, the streets to the right from there will lead you to numerous galleries and antiques shops.

if you have a bigger budget or are into the more fabulously sophisticated stuff, the 8th district is key. this is where high fashion is located and the top antique stores and galleries. you can take the metro 1 or 12 and get off at champs elysées clemenceau, exit towards avenue de marigny (the president of france holds office at palais de l'elysées and you'll see gendarmes stationed strategically at certain points in the area; the prime minister of france holds office in the 7th along rue de varenne in hôtel matignon, down from musée rodin, and gendarmes are also visible in this area), and just walk along that road until you get to place beauvad, where again you'll be confronted by a choice of streets all leading to some interesting discoveries with galleries, antiques stores and high fashion. if you choose from here rue du faubourg saint honoré, you'll be walking along one of the world's most famous street that has all the lables making the runway in haute couture in paris these days.

there's an antiques shop that's rather outstanding, you should check it out just to get a feel of what it's like to be in a luxurious chateau as they usually do their galleries up with actual pieces from these superb castles, the ceiling in this place is exceptionally high so it can even house original wall panellings in antique fabrics. every piece in that area is well researched by the owner and his son so if you encounter them, you're lucky as you'll be treated to a bit of french history! it's bernard baruch steinitz, located 9, rue du cirque, paris 8.

if you get to paris in september, a bi-annual exhibition of antiques is usually held in the carrousel du louvre, known as the biennale des antiquaires (see http://www.antiquaires-sna.com/). i always find visiting these places an education as the people are great story-tellers and know with such passion and enthusiasm, the history of a piece of antique or the experience of an artist as s/he executes work that eventually reach their hands. you'll have to engage them in a lively conversation though.

for more tourist information and happenings for the period you'll in paris, you can always check out: http://www.pariscope.fr

i know london and milan well too, but much prefer paris as it's still very european to me and doesn't quite give me the culture shock of figuring out if i'm back in hong kong or somewhere in karachi. icon_smile_big.gif

have fun!

--isla maia

ok so in paris, do you know anything of Club Rex? they seem to book good stuff (laurent garnier, daft punk...) any other clubs worth checking? bars? is there a good dj oriented record shop that you know of? thanks again and againicon_smile_big.gif !!