The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

So my most recent pair of denim was the SG 5109 (90% sure, the other 10% wonders if its 3109) and I really liked the cut. They were slightly looser than the pair I had beforeec - SExI14. The SExI14s fit me absolutely perfectly, but since I can't get that cut anymore the 5109s did an admirable job. However they are getting near the end of their life. Or at least to the point where every few months they have to be repaired. Since I wear them to work I would like another pair to wear while my 5109s are getting repaired. 

I am thinking of getting the SG009LTD because my friend is selling a near DS pair for a reasonable price. However the SExSG24-09 look very appealing as well. After hearing some complaints about the fit though I am hesitant. What is everyones opinions on both of those pairs? Do all of the 09 cuts fit pretty much the same?

If not, what brands/cuts would you guys recommend that would fit the closest to the SExi14? For the SExI14 I sized up to 34. For the 5109 though I kept my true size of 33. 

22 hours ago, dwilson123 said:

Have you washed the sweat yet?  Size small TSG sweats are absolutely tiny and you don't look like that small of a guy.

Indeed I have, shortly after taking (but not posting) these pics. It's pretty small, but I prefer my stuff to be slightly small than slightly big. I tried the M on in store and there was no way I could have made it work even with max shrinkage. This is what it looks like as of today: 

FddQLrn.jpg

And thanks for saying so, (?) but I am that small of a guy. XS shirts. 29-30 denim. 8US boot, etc. ;)

@marcusV2, the fit looks good! I have two TSG sweats (black and gray) and they have shrunk, mostly in length, with subsequent hot washes and spins in the dryer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Cnl said:

how does the SG21xx denim compare to FH pioneer denim in terms of shrinkage?

TFH pioneer denim shrinks way more.

I have the SG 3105 and lost one inch in the waist after soaking/washing. I was told that the shrinkage for the 31xx is similar to the 21xx. I also have a pair of TFH 3002 which is the pioneer denim and lost over 2 inches of shrinkage in the waist and about half an inch throughout the whole leg. I don't know about 21xx denim but the 31xx also stretches a lot easier after wear than the pioneer denim.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:18 AM, 1fookntitefd said:

TFH pioneer denim shrinks way more.

I have the SG 3105 and lost one inch in the waist after soaking/washing. I was told that the shrinkage for the 31xx is similar to the 21xx. I also have a pair of TFH 3002 which is the pioneer denim and lost over 2 inches of shrinkage in the waist and about half an inch throughout the whole leg. I don't know about 21xx denim but the 31xx also stretches a lot easier after wear than the pioneer denim.

May I ask how did you shrink the 3002? Is it machine wash at 60C?

2 hours ago, keybladehero said:

May I ask how did you shrink the 3002? Is it machine wash at 60C?

Warm soak in the bathtub for about an hour with some agitation. Since then I did a cold machine wash and got a little more shrinkage. The denim does stretch out a little bit with wear though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've wanted to get into a pair of SGs for the last few years, but the cuts have been too slim for me. I'm contemplating the SEXSG24, but there don't seem to be many people talking about this cut. From what little I've read, it seems to be a bit more generous in the top block, but it is not as generous as the measurements suggest. Anyone have any other thoughts on this model/cut? 

Also, is this the same as the SG7104? 

12 hours ago, tion4-> said:

I've wanted to get into a pair of SGs for the last few years, but the cuts have been too slim for me. I'm contemplating the SEXSG24, but there don't seem to be many people talking about this cut. From what little I've read, it seems to be a bit more generous in the top block, but it is not as generous as the measurements suggest. Anyone have any other thoughts on this model/cut? 

Also, is this the same as the SG7104? 

Nevermind, there are a few pairs purchases about a year ago - would be cool to see some evo pics or updates. As I feared, the rise and narrow thighs may nix these for me. I don't want a top block/thighs any more snug than my Sam 710, Fullcount 1101 or Ande Whall Caribou. I'm not sure I can trust the measurements in the SEXSG24. 

@tion4-> Sorry to take so long to reply, I was one of those people who picked up a pair of SEXSG24 back when they were released. No real evo to share, as they were part of my rotation in the winter and only have about 1-2 months of wear. After a couple washes they have already lost all stiffness, though the material still has too much texture to really be considered soft. There's a lot of visible texture in the variation of the dark indigo and white weft show-through, and none of the wear is really visible.

For fit, I got a size 33 in the standard tapered SEXSG24, as compared to a 30 in the Fullcount 1101 and a 31 in Ande Whall Caribous.

The SEXSG24 is definitely a different cut than the other two. It's a noticeably lower rise (with a larger waistband to fit lower on the hips) than the other two and fits somewhat tighter through the thighs than Fullcounts, but I can still comfortably move. The difference is visible, too, with the Strike Golds clearly looking like a more modern, close cut through the thighs and top block versus the classic silhouette of the other two. Can provide measurement comparisons if that helps.

Thanks @FeloniousMonk - really helpful. If you get a chance to compare actual measurements of the Caribous compares to the SEXSG24, that'd be incredible. 

I'm a 32 in my Caribous and have 32 in the FC1101...the Caribous are perfect in the thigh, whereas I find the FC a bit too generous all around. 

I've had the SG1109 in 33 before but the rise was a bit low, but really the thighs were just too narrow. Kiya thinks I'll be happy with these in a 34. 

Edited by tion4->

Top thigh measurement, across from the crotch seam is almost dead on 12.25" for both pairs of jeans. The SEXSG24 may be up to 1/8" narrower. Around mid-thigh (7" down the inseam), the measurement for both pairs was 9.5".

Here's a photo of the SEXSG24 laid over the Ande Whalls, with a zoom in on the inseam. As you can see, the Ande Whalls have roughly a 1.5" higher rise, but are almost identical cuts through the thighs and the legs continue to line up pretty much perfectly to the bottom hem.

JWMsd9S.jpg

8Nje5S5.jpg

Thanks @FeloniousMonk, I think you sold me on them. The rise might take a while to get used to, I prefer in the 10.5-11" range. But think 10" might be manageable (I'm thinking that's what the size 34" will shrink down to). 

Seeing the denim again gets me even more excited about them. They look super textured but not very hairy, that accurate? It's surprising that you haven't seen any signs of wear. 

I'm pretty sure I still have the original hems, and they are pretty much dead-on 33" inseam now. The Self Edge site says the raw inseam should be 35", so it does seem like they ended up with almost exactly 2" total shrink.

The denim is still pretty hairy, but the fibers are very fine and short so they don't really come across in photos. I would say they were pretty standard on that front for a loosely-woven denim, and just not abnormally hairy after the soak.

As for the bit of wear, you can see a bit of lighter blue on the inseam where I'm getting some lightening. There's also bits of lighter blue where the whiskering will eventually come through. But the denim does stay dark for longer than I think you would expect with the crazy texture. One of the guys who works at the Self Edge here has been wearing a pair regularly since the winter, and I remember being surprised at how dark they still looked after 2-3 months of wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my SEXSG24 in the mail this week. Put them through the wash and dried in the sun. These are some crunchy rough and sandpapery jeans! Some great texture. I'm shocked that they are slow to break in, I basically cut myself on them. But maybe they soften up quickly??? I'm actually hoping they soften up...did you find they took a while to stretch out/feel more comfortable?

They shrunk a lot, about 2.5" length. 

I think within a week, they had stretched a bit to feel more comfortable. Well within a month of wear, they got a softer feel, but I think they also had a couple machine washes in that month which definitely speeds denim through the crispy/crunchy phase.

Hope you like them! They're a great pair of jeans, looking forward to wearing them more this fall/winter after the Ooe contest wraps up.